PDA

View Full Version : Dryage fee?

SomeThingInTheIce
04-06-2009, 01:22 PM
What was the dryage fee (I think thats what it's called) at the haunt show and why are vendors charged this?

Ken Spriggs
04-06-2009, 01:37 PM
It is called DRAYAGE
It is a term given to the act of...........Charging an arm and a leg just to bring your stuff into their building!

maliciousstudios
04-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Gotta love conventions....lmfao....

TheMonsterMaze
04-06-2009, 08:34 PM
One of the things that I think sets the National Haunters Convention from the others is...

NO UNIONS

They're the ones that really start to escalate the cost of everything.

Michael Bruner
National Haunters Convention
http://www.NationalHauntersConvention.com

Matt Marich
04-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Drayage costs were between $ 22.00 to $ 54.00 per 100lbs. Edge paid around $ 1,200.00, much better than Vegas, $ 3,200.00.

Brandon_K
04-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Ugh. No offense to anyone that is in one, but good god do I hate unions.

Pay to plug in, pay to clean the carpet, pay to unload the trailer, pay to move the trailer, pay to do this, pay to do that.

Sorry, I worked for a company for a few years setting up boat shows, it was pay pay pay. I'm not sure why we bothered going to work to setup. You've got this union guy bitching that we're taking food off of his plate. Hypocrite! He's taking food off of the plate of the husband and wife couple that owned the boat sales company by paying us to stand around with our thumbs up our asses.

I'm glad to hear NHC is a non-union convention.

RJ Productions
04-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Years ago my ex-wife worked the old MGM (now Bally's) showroom during a union strike. Nevada is a right to work state.

In the show there was a wagon that was brought on stage only once. It had lights on it so it had to be plugged into the stage. So under the union contract, there was an electrician on staff whose only job was to sit there and wait for that wagon. The stage hands pushed the wagon on, the electrician could not touch the wagon and the stage hands couldn't touch the pigtail! So the electrician walks next to the wagon holding the cord, plugs it in and walks off. He waits for the number to end, walks out..unplugs the cord and walks back holding it!!!!

The guy was paid prevailing electrican wages six hours a night to plug in a cord two times!

During the strike they ran the show with less than one third the staff and they were twice as productive!!

And you wonder why the price of shows escalates!!

poison
04-06-2009, 11:15 PM
My Drayage fees were $600 for 2 crates. And get this my Freight company didnt show up on time so its was a force freight....meaning they show has a freight company that just takes your stuff and ships to the desigated address. So i get the 2 CRATES and i see there is now cardboard all and busted wood on the back. I open it up and jaw hits the floor. They dropped my crate broke it and re-packed AND REBUILT IT upside down. UNREAL!!!!!
As far as UNIONS go i have my issues with them as well. But as a member of the local 700 sound editors guild. I have to tell ya the producers drive us into the ground, and try to take away whatever they can everytime tour contract is up. They have us on 48 hour work weeks. ITS INSANE! So bottom line is there are GOOD UNIONS and BAD UNIONS!
Its just sad it has to be soooo extreme between the two. And thats my 2 cents!

drfrightner
04-07-2009, 01:58 AM
I don't like unions either, but as it turns out the union in St. Louis was really nice, and worked with vendors. No one complained that I know of and drayage was much cheaper than years past. Most convention centers are union halls so not much you can do about it but find convention centers where the unions are friendly to work with. I can honestly say the best I've seen are the ones in Orlando. I would also say he ones in Atlanta where not bad either.

Chicago is the worst. Vegas might actually be worse now that I think about it.

Larry

kpolley
04-07-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm not anti-union...but I am against the union practices we run into at these shows. Unions were started to protect the workers from harsh conditions, bad wages, etc. Now, they are used to force me into paying OUTRAGEOUS prices for work that I can easily do myself. I pay hundreds of dollars for electrical service, and then pay another couple hundred in labor for the electrician to plug in an extension cord and hand it to me. I'm not a certified electrician, but Ihave plugged things in before.

I used to work at a state university which I believe is worse than any convention center. There, we couldn't even drive tack into the wall to hang something up. We had to hire a carpenter. The guy I used to work for, an Engineering PhD., liked to say: "I have a PhD. in Engineering, but if I want to hang that PhD. on the wall of my office I have to hire a carpenter?" Those guys drove me crazy.

If you want to be in a union, that's fine. I just don't want to be forced into using your union if I don't want to. That's all I'm saying.

BruiseMuse
04-07-2009, 08:11 AM
I'm not anti-union...but I am against the union practices we run into at these shows. Unions were started to protect the workers from harsh conditions, bad wages, etc. Now, they are used to force me into paying OUTRAGEOUS prices for work that I can easily do myself. I pay hundreds of dollars for electrical service, and then pay another couple hundred in labor for the electrician to plug in an extension cord and hand it to me. I'm not a certified electrician, but Ihave plugged things in before.

I used to work at a state university which I believe is worse than any convention center. There, we couldn't even drive tack into the wall to hang something up. We had to hire a carpenter. The guy I used to work for, an Engineering PhD., liked to say: "I have a PhD. in Engineering, but if I want to hang that PhD. on the wall of my office I have to hire a carpenter?" Those guys drove me crazy.

If you want to be in a union, that's fine. I just don't want to be forced into using your union if I don't want to. That's all I'm saying.

I used to work at a college and we dealt with the same nightmare. We were not authorized to hang things on the walls ourselve, change lightbulbs, move furniture, or even vacuum; all those tasks had to be done by a member of the union.

Ken Spriggs
04-07-2009, 09:06 AM
I have worked in transportation my entire adult life....damn.
There are plenty of stupid things that happen in the business.

How about trying to deliver a load to a company called Caldor....in Nort Boygan nu joysey

DUE TO UNION REGULATIONS
They will not allow any employees in the trailer........OK so who has to unload it?
The driver....or he can hire the LUMPER service to unload for him.

So.....driver has to unload the trailer....one box at a time...on a conveyer belt that breaks down every 30 minutes. I have had guys spend 2 days there!!!!

Talk about milkin the clock

We were hired to do a job last year.....set painting and such
We did it after hours....came in the first night and knocked out a 30 hour paint job
They were upset with us for working so fast....we made the normal guys look like crap

I just wanted to be done with the job!!! So we busted hump...its not like real work to us!

actiondeath
04-07-2009, 09:15 AM
I was with a video crew that does marching band and color guard competitions and we had the same deal. We had to use so many union people and only they were allowed to perform certain tasks. Plugging stuff in, loading and unloading, rolling and moving cable, etc. It was weird.