PDA

View Full Version : Question about pneumatics

Trails of Terror
04-14-2009, 10:55 PM
My name is james I own trails of terror here in Markleville In. We are entering are 8th year And this year Im going to add as many pneumatics as I can but my Question is How many props can I run with a 80 gallon 2 stage compressor. My attraction is 7 acres and my main power supply is in front my highest psi props are 60 psi which are air cannons and all the rest are are 50 psi and under. Im using 5 gallon reserve tanks but (Can I use smaller tanks) And can anyone recommend where to get good prices on compressors,tanks,manifolds,regulators,hoses ect. And I wanted to say thanks to all the haunt owners and vendors for all your info and support at transworld ST.Louis.

Tom
04-15-2009, 04:48 AM
Hey James,

One thing to keep in mind is not just the size of the compressor or psi of the props, but how many times will these props will be going off at a given time. I have 2 80 gallon compressors and during the peak season, they are working pretty hard to keep up. I'm planning to get a 3rd one pretty soon. I purchased my compressors and hoses and such at a local place called Steve's Wholesale (with warranties) and have worked out great. Oh, I have around 17 animatronics that run on air, and growing.
One thing you better plan on is a good dryer to get rid of the moisture in the air. It won't take long for the moisture to mess with valves, solenoids and cylinders.
Just my thoughts/experience.
Good luck.

Boo Crew Production
04-15-2009, 05:56 AM
James,

There are several factors to keep in mind.
The PSI rating of your compressor.
The CFM of your compressor. this is a very important factor, the is your compressors capability to recover.
The length of run you plan on placing props.
Reserve tanks.
PSI required to operate each prop.
Props with larger cylinders, require more volume of air.

There are several ways you can combat longer runs, but there is no way to combat an inadequate air supply.

James if you have any more questions you can contact me via email at info@boocrewproduction.com .

Allen H
04-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Harbor freight tools is a great place for air supplies (even cheap compressors)

Allen H

icandrawem2
04-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Only go to HF you want to keep replacing them every few weeks. Those tools are only good for a one time use if you ask me...I would call them "disposable tools" even. You want to get a great compressor, buy an Ingersoll-Rand. And yes the CFM rating is the more important number, but the larger tank will help keep the run time down. Make sure it has a 100% duty cycle.

Brandon_K
04-18-2009, 10:15 AM
I agree with Nate, stay away from HF as far as air goes. *Some* of their compressors are ok. IME, all of their hoses and connectors are absolute junk. None of the connectors seal and the pit and corrode very quickly. Their hoses aren't good for anything over ~80psi, even though they're actually rated higher. They tend to bubble in the thin sections, basically they're Goodyear seconds or thirds.

We're running a 60gal horizontal Emglo, 60 vertical IR and a 80 vertical IR, all 5 hp compressors. The IR's are fairly quiet and we never have any problems with them. Northern Tool is by far the cheapest source I've found for the IR compressors.

Jim Warfield
04-19-2009, 02:24 PM
One month. "Something must be going to ground or severely screwed up!?"
I turned off everything began turning things back on one at a time. The meter seemed to spin much faster when the compressor was running.."I need a new compressor!"
I drove and bought a new one, then the next day the power company called..they had made a big mistake on my bill!
I now had a spare compressor!

Then Interstate Power sold out to Jo-Carroll Electric. then about a year later Jo-Carroll sent me a bill for $947.00-for one month!?
They screwed up this time, times nine!
Too late with that news I had just thrown every electrical device I own in the ditch and buried them! Even my robot -party Doll!
Now she looks like The Tin Man from Wizard of OZ! Brown-orange at every seam!
No, I knew better after that first power company mis-read, I remained calm.