PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Attraction Magazine Sold

drfrightner
04-15-2009, 01:00 AM
If you didn't hear Leonard Pickel sold Haunted Attraction Magazine to a guy named John Kennedy. I don't know him but wish him luck. I would love to hear some background on John and what his plans for the magazine are going forward. I can't believe Leonard sold the magazine. WOW

Does anyone know if he sold the website with it?

Larry

RJ Productions
04-15-2009, 05:16 AM
WOW is right!!! I thought Leonard would never give it up, it's what gives him credibility! Would the Travel Channel have interviewed him if he wasn't the published of the magazine? He doesn't own a haunt, haven't heard much from DOA, publishing HAM was kept him "in the loop"! It just doesn't seem lke a wise move.

The next question will be subscriptions. Does the new owner realize that he owes every subscriber three issues from LAST year??? He has to publish with no income from subscriptions.

I too wish him luck, hopefully he has some sort of Haunt background or experience. If not we'll end up with another useless magazine like 13th Hour (still trying to figure out what a Chef has to do with a Haunt magazine!!!!)

Let us know any developments!!

kpolley
04-15-2009, 06:41 AM
What about HauntCon? The show is connected to the magazine. Is Leonard giving that up as well?

Jonathan
04-15-2009, 08:38 AM
HAuNTcon is still Leonard's Gig. They were only connected because Leonard did them both.

So HAuNTcon will remain as HAuNTcon, and also even though Leonard doesn't own HAM anymore he is still the Editor so he will be in the loop and connected to the mag.

Nightgore
04-15-2009, 08:48 AM
John is actually a member here... aka... Swampboy! He's out of Cincinnati, he came down to Lexington once, we met up and just "talked haunt" for a few hours... he's a super nice guy and I think he do wonders with the mag.!

I can't wait to see what he does! -Tyler

Drjkyll
04-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Wow - that is really a shock! I'm also very curious as to what will happen with the magazine. Hopefully our ex-president (I knew it was a conspiracy and he really survived!!) will get the mag up to speed and out on time.

Michael Edwards
Fate. TX

http://www.myspace.com/drjkyll1
http://www.thehaunthouse.com

drfrightner
04-15-2009, 01:38 PM
I was told John is someone who does not own a haunt but wants to build one down the road. I heard Leonard will stay the editor. So the direction will stay the same just new owner. Don't know what John (Swampboy) has planned maybe we'll post something and tell everyone.

Larry

Nightgore
04-15-2009, 03:37 PM
How about you guys actually talk with John before passing judgement! You don't have to know a damn thing to own/run a haunt industry MAGIZINE... just how to run a mag! -Tyler

Infoamtek
04-15-2009, 04:21 PM
And just because you own a haunt doesn't mean you know how to run a magazine. We've seen proof of that.

drfrightner
04-15-2009, 05:29 PM
You guys need to find water jump and cool yourselfs off MY GOD... People wanted to know who he was and I was reporting what I knew. I'm sure on of the questions would be does he own a haunt and which one. So I was telling you I heard he doesn't own one but is planning on building one. Didn't I say he's planning on building one? Once I heard HAM was sold my first thought was it was sold to somebody who owned a haunt. When I heard his name I didn't know him, I wondered what haunt does he own. I was told he doesn't but plans to... I'll bet you any amount of money most people assumed he was involved with a haunt like I did. I hope he does open a haunted house but if he doesn't that is okay too... IAAPA runs a magazine but doesn't own an amusement park. TAP magazine runs an amusement magazine but doesn't own a facility...DUH! I know you don't have to own an attraction to run a magazine, DUH! Maybe that will give him more time to focus on the magazine good for him, but I never said because he doesn't own one that he doesn't know anything... THAT IS WHAT TYLER SAID NOT ME! Lets keep it straight!

Two I was telling you that I heard Leonard is staying on board. You guys need to get a life seriously you read to much into things or put words in peoples mouths or simply jump to conclusions way to much. I said none of that and I'm not saying it now either.

I also said clear as day I was looking to hear more about his plans, no one ripped on the guy, or questioned his qualifications.

I'm sure he's got idea's, I'm sure he'll make changes and I think its all good! I look forward to hearing more, learning more, hearing about the new direction just like everyone else.

I hope he gets a chance to post his plans about the magazines future, I look forward to hearing all about them and wish him nothing but the best and hopefully we can work with them on some stuff. I would enjoy that!

Larry

Nightgore
04-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Ugh... nevermind... it's like beating my head against a wall! -Tyler

drfrightner
04-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Tyler,

You jumped to conclusions, you put words into my mouth and that is not fair. I was reporting tid bits as I heard stuff nothing more nothing less.

Again I wish him luck and even send him an email inviting him to work with us and to fnd ways to work together. Next time don't jump to conclusions or put words in peoples mouths. Its cool! Tyler I understand your dying passion for the things you care about and I think that is GREAT! I want to hear what you think I care about your opinion Tyler! But I didn't say anything negative just cool your jets my friend. Its all good in the hood! LOL

Larry

Boo Crew Production
04-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Jason,

I hear yea, I went through the same thing a couple years ago. I subscribed for 2 years to both mags, only received a total of 3 mags. in that 2 year period. Call and complained, to Leonard, he told me he would give us another 2 years subscription and received one out of it. I was never able to connect with the other mag, So I just gave up.

No major damage, I have learned a ton more on the net then I could get out of the mags anyhow. All's good.

This is, or was not intended to be a shot towards anyone.

SomeThingInTheIce
04-15-2009, 07:42 PM
So, do you think the new owner will still give HHA members copys of HAM ? Leonard was going to do that , no big deal if that doesn't happen, that snot why I joined. I was just wondering.

UndeadProd
04-15-2009, 07:51 PM
I had a lengthy conversation with John earlier today and can confirm that he will still honor the commitment to HHA members - who will still receive any issues of "Haunted Attraction" published during their membership.

I'll leave it to John to discuss his plans for the magazine, but I can tell you that he has repeatedly stressed his willingness to work with both HHA and IAHA as our industry continues to grow and thrive. This is an exciting time to be a haunter!

Speculo
04-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Spoke with the publisher today. It is still the plan to have HHA members get all issues of Ham and Hauntworld that publish post Transworld (i.e. henceforth) in addition to TAP magazine.

I think he will do well!

Thanks!

Speculo
04-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Scott and I are actually the same person. He is just younger and taller.

Thanks!

Kevin Dells
04-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Just wanted to add that Leonard very recently contatced me about writing an article that im now working on. So im sure the intent is to get a magazine out soon if he's looking for people to write.

I really don't see the relevancy as to wether John owns a haunt or not. In my honest opinion if he does it will only limit his time to spend on the magazine, maybe if he isn't ass deep with all his time at a haunt he will put out a better magazine and it will come when promised.

Maybe Leonards reason for selling in the first place,time constraints?

What really concerns me as a person writing is wether or not people will even want my advice since im not a haunt owner myself. I have taken my lumps and given my years but a lot of people here feel if you don't own, you ain't squat no matter what youv'e done for the industry.

Should i waste my time writing articles? This i ponder on a daily basis as i make my layouts for articles while at the same time watching people bash the living daylights out of each other here.

My thinking is great i give up my free time (as i do here, i have nothing to promote or gain as im not an owner or my bussiness thrives by what i do here) just to have people read my work and call me an idiot.

Grown people just can't stop slamming each other and share opinions nicely and thats a bummer because most of you seem like great people, people iv'e meet in person iv'e really enjoyed time with. Not sure what the hang up is but man this place can really be a downer sometimes!

Jolly Pumpkin
04-15-2009, 10:28 PM
I wouldn't worry about what anyone says to be honest. There are so many egos in the industry that it's sickening. If you have something to share that you feel will benefit people in some way, then go ahead and write your article. For anyone who tries to discourage you or says your opinion doesn't count, just tell them to kiss your ass because they obviously think their shit doesn't stink and there's nothing left they can learn.

Patti Ludwinski
04-15-2009, 10:42 PM
??? Larry can be judgemental; I'm certain of that. However, in rereading his posts, I dont see where he passed any preconceived judgements here. It seems to me he's just stating what he's heard. ???

Thank you to everyone who subscribes to HauntWorld Magazine. We truly appreciate your business and hope to have it for years to come. Now, if anyone out there has yet to receive their issue 21 HW Magazine, then call our office. Don't wait yet another week. That's silly. The office number is 314-241-3456. Ask for Erin. She's sweet as a peach and she's more than happy to help you. Or, you can email her at hpiofficemanager@sbcglobla.net.

??? No one in this entire thread said anything about discouraging people against writing haunt related articles. ??? O and isnt there some new rule about cussing when posting?

Patti

Kevin Dells
04-16-2009, 05:35 AM
Jolly, thank you for the reply.

Patty i hadn't said anyone right out discouraged me but i have felt a few times people in the past have snubbed me because i wasn't an owner therefore my advice or opinion wasn't needed.

A few years back i had written articles for a fishing/conservation club i belonged to and those guys loved reading what i wrote, so recently i was asked to write and thought it would be neat to write again on haunt topics.

Im just not so sure when i have been recently slammed here on these boards for stating my opinion and that person directly came out and told me my opinion sucked.

The thing is it's just my opinion and I realize everybodys is different. The open minded person can see both sides of things(which i believe im pretty good at) and some can't their just plain stubborn and feel it's their way or no way.

As far as writing, Yeah i love to write! Have you seen some of my postings? They can get pretty long! LOL

mindtumor
04-16-2009, 09:02 AM
How about you guys actually talk with John before passing judgement! You don't have to know a damn thing to own/run a haunt industry MAGIZINE... just how to run a mag! -Tyler

I don't see where anyone passed judgement yet. Where those posts deleted? Is this guy also going to run the website?

Nightgore
04-16-2009, 09:09 AM
............................. -Tyler

mindtumor
04-16-2009, 09:11 AM
I guess it is all up for interpretation. Is he taking over the site as well?

Nightgore
04-16-2009, 09:12 AM
I believe so, I talked to him yesterday and I think that the deal came with the site... and everything else branded with HAM! -Tyler

drfrightner
04-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Jared,

Yes the deal came with the site. No posts where removed and you are right no one passed judglement, Tyler just put words into my mouth and assumed the worst. But hopefully he understands no one passed judgement on anyone.

I really hope its everything he wanted it to be, has new fresh idea's for the magazine and does some good for all of their subscribers.

CONSIDERING HE DOES NOT own a haunted house (LOL) he could devote a lot more time to improving the magazine and staying on top of things a lot better than most. The whole idea if owning a haunt or not owning a haunt has nothing to do with running a magazine. Almost all trade magazines are owned and operated by non attraction owners from the people who run a bowling mag, to a water park magazine...that is nothing new. This way they can be independent and report things more fairly.

Its a positive more than a negative!

Larry

mindtumor
04-16-2009, 02:28 PM
I think the biggest problem on forums sometimes is just how easy it is to misinterpret people's posts due to the lack of tone. I read it one way I guess other people read it another. In this case I didn't think the comments were negative. I know I have done the same thing before and gotten very angry for no reason until talking it over. I think another problem is how oversensitive people get over the haunt owner/ non owner thing. Being on both sides of that arguement I have been able to evolve my opinion of it. Not everyone is going to agree on everything and that is a fact.

Patti Ludwinski
04-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Kevin,
I enjoy your posts. Keep writing man!

chuck weber
04-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Should have started his own magazine. Hey, ever since fright-times went out of print ( honors to "the king of halloween"- john denley) lord knows we all could use "another" haunt magazine !!!!! Say it ain't so !!!!!! Larry's going to midwest haunters convention, but didn't attend the national haunters convention thanks for the hurt !!!!!!

Kevin Dells
04-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Kevin,
I enjoy your posts. Keep writing man!

I sure will and Thank You Darlin!!

drfrightner
04-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Chuck,

Not to keep talking NHC since its over, but I didn't even really know it was happening. I knew they were going to do it but they put the thing right on top of Transworld and I think that is a mistake.

Everyone was hyped about TW, talking TW, and these guys show just sorta sneaked up right behind it. These shows need to be spread out a lot more than a week or two. Just my opinion.

After TW I was done...at least for a while. Next year they should move out from TW by a month. Lastly they do the least amount of promotion so you hear about it less... I just didn't realize!

Larry

Brandon_K
04-16-2009, 07:30 PM
After TW I was done...at least for a while. Next year they should move out from TW by a month.

Larry

Then they're on top of HauntCon. You figure as far as shows go;

End of March - Transworld

End of April / June - HauntCon

Beginning of June - Midwest Haunters

End of June - Ironstock (though it's in it's last year)

Mid November - IAAPA

National Haunters Convention has little place to go without being on top of someone. I would say take the place of Ironstock, but on the other hand that's awfully late to be putting in orders (if you expect to have anything by opening at least). They could always go February in a nice warm place, Vegas or Orlando would be nice.

Haunts of Richmond
04-18-2009, 11:34 AM
I only thing I'd worry about is having the NHC near Easter weekend. We had one person go up, but myself and another person or two could've gone if it wasn't around a holiday. Just a thought.