PDA

View Full Version : We have our first $100,000+ vendor!

Xanthar
04-19-2009, 04:45 PM
I just got off the phone with Rodney from Nightscream Studios (www.NightScreamStudios.com), and I am very pleased to announce, that we have our first vendor who broke $100,000+ in sales at our show!

I was nervous because after the first day, even though tons of catalogs were taken, there were little or even no orders....(which in hindsight, is probably the case with most big ticket vendors, but it still made me nervous...I want the vendors to do so well).

However, by the 2nd day of our convention (Saturday), approx $65,000 in orders were done on the show floor, and another $20,000 order right after the show floor closed while NightScream Studios was packing things up. In addition to the on the spot orders, NightScream studios also sold one of it's haunt & facade packages (about $40,000) from pictures that were brought to the show and got the deposit for that on our show floor as well! He finalized the sale this week (a few days after the show).

That is roughly $125,000 worth of sales. The National Haunters Convention would like congratulate Rodney (because that is simply amazing), and we will continue to strive and look forward to try to help all vendors at our show. There always will be some growing pains, but our goal is to produce a very professional, and high quality show where both small ticket and large ticket vendors succeed. We have been collecting all feedback (both good and bad) and we will continue to improve ourselves - we learn something new every day.

I would also like to congratulate, Sinister Controls, LLC (www.sinistercontrols.com) and Black Forest Fabrication. (www.blackforestfabrication.com) whom we also just recently talked to and both of them managed the daunting task of selling every single item they brought with them from their booth! Black Forest Sold every single corpse, and skull that could be brought to the show, and Sinister Controls sold out so early on Saturday that he had to simply walk around the show floor for the last two hours!

There are quite a few other vendors who did well from Hot Wire Foam Factory to even the Creepy Critters booth which had a very surprising good showing (so forgive us if we missed you...plus not everyone obviously tells us their sales), and for those who did not do so well, we will continue to improve to the best of our ability to bring in even more customers and Haunted House owners for you. Please stick with us, and we promise to continue to work extra hard to create a professional show for the Haunted House Industry.

Sincerely,

Robert Kocher
The Village of Darkness
National Haunters Convention

http://www.nightscreamstudios.com/images/NightScreamCoverLogo.jpg

drfrightner
04-19-2009, 05:59 PM
I have never in my life seen a tradeshow company post a message like this ever... I think this post is in bad taste. Promoting what a vendor made or didn't make is wrong in my view. Additionally the other vendors who didn't do so well now might feel really let down.

Why don't you make this post next and let all the people who the vendors that lost money going to your show... I've already heard of some who are very disappointed.

Your show is over let Hauntcon take its turn then MHC.

Every show has vendors who do well and do bad it goes with the territory but for the organizer to get on a forum and start bragging about how much money one specific vendor made to me seems out of line.

I hope Hauntcon, MHC, and Transworld doesn't do this otherwise I wouldn't tell them anything.

Larry

Monster-Tronics
04-19-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm sure the IRS and possibly the state tax collectors love this kind of post most of all.

brad
04-19-2009, 07:05 PM
I agree with Larry on this. If I was a vendor that went to your show, and then saw this post, wouldnt be too happy about it.

I say congrats to Nightscream for this!!! But lets leave it between themselves and not bring it to the forum boards.

stafford
04-19-2009, 07:48 PM
I don't think this is the right type of post to make on an industry message board. If you want to use this bit of information to market your show to prospective vendors, have the vendor put it in writing, and go ahead and use it to market to vendors that you are soliciting for next year.

It's been quite obvious that NHC has been marketing their show, perhaps even more than others, and they're entitled to, it's their business. Heck I think me, my wife, and my partner all got prerecorded phone calls, emails, etc. etc. Heck, I almost went (would really like to have seen Bates Motel, Easter Weekend, wife wouldn't have it) It would appear that they will continue to aggressively market this show, but here's where I get confused by the message.

The organizers have made several posts on here about staying out of the "politics" or "drama" or whatever else you want to call it. However, it's been a topic of discussion for quite some time that vendors have not done as well at the smaller "regional" shows. Seems to me that coming on here and bragging is throwing your hat into the "political" ring. They were even upset about Leonard visiting their show to drum up vendors for his show (another topic), why be upset, if you're vendors are doing this well, who cares if anyone tries to lure them away, if they're making money they'll stay, you certainly don't need to come on here and let everyone know about it. Another post was made just a couple days ago (I think) that the show has it's own message board, wouldn't this be the right place to keep this post.

From everything I've heard about the organizers of NHC, they are good guys (my past dealings with Robert Kocher were very positive), obviously their show is growing, and that's great. From what they've stated they want to take the high road, focus on their show, make it the best. Great and respectable idea, I just don't know that a post like this on these boards is really in that spirit, and as I said should be unecessary.

Chris

screamline studios
04-19-2009, 08:14 PM
I could be wrong!!! but through the grapevine i heard!! good old rod never paid his actors for his haunt a couple years ago and got alot of negative media coverage about it???? Pissed off actors = bad haunt...

Just what i heard!!!

Jason

P.S Good call larry!!

graystone
04-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Everyone knows the rumors. I asked them point blank at the show and they assured me that most of the items were already in stock. Now don't get me wrong I am glad hes doing good. But with so many orders taken at TW and at this show will he be able to get product out?

Has anyone got their product yet? I am sure with the items in stock surly someone has already seen product. I went ahead and paid in full after they told me the items were already in stock but I have not heard anything. Has anyone got anything from them yet? Again I am glad and wish them the best but with the rumors and now hearing this it makes me a little nervous to say the least! Shane and its if I get raped may God Have Murcy On Their Souls! Because I Sure Want! Shane this time.

Matt Marich
04-19-2009, 08:35 PM
After being a vendor for 8 years, it has come to my attention that anyone that gives numbers from a show are basically full of Bantha Poo Doo. That's a problem, vendors should be honest with each other, silently. I agree with Larry on this one, truth or lie, it's nobodies business.

Matt Marich
04-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Oh, and if you Fuck Shane over , good luck, you will be slowely dissolved in the Sarlac pit over 1,000 years.

Sorry about the Star Wars references, I'm showing my age again...,Sniff

Matt Marich
04-19-2009, 08:38 PM
By the Way, did you Comp. Rodney a booth?

screamline studios
04-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Rodney may not realize it!! but this industry is very small and people talk, the talk is he is!! full of bullshit and a ripoff artist??? Just what i heard??? I can say this!!! as a vendor we never discuss what we made at a show!!! I really hope he did as good as what was posted! but i call BULLSHIT on this one.

Jason Blaszczak

graystone
04-19-2009, 09:00 PM
Speaking of Matt you going to MHC? I still need to order some of the mask you had! Shane and if you have not see them check them out he( Edge Designs) has some GREAT PRODUCTS! Shane this time.

HouseOfHorrors
04-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Well I was at the Convention and I know for a FACT that rodney wrote some huge orders the last few hours of the show... I saw it!! I placed a HUGE order with him at transworld, and I can say one thing is that his stuff is built solid!! Rodney has been building animations for me for years and is a straight up guy, definately not a ripoff artist like one of you mentioned... I just got to come to his defense here, as he has helped me out big time over the years including fixing lots Of JUNK product I got from scarefactory that broke within a few days of use, and of course not getting any returned calls or any type of customer service from scarefactory!! I can totally vouch for him 110% And I definately would not be concerned about getting ripped off or anything of that nature!!! He came out with tons of great products for the show... and builds everything right! Shane don't worry... You will definately get whatever you ordered and I'm positive it will work great!! I have more animations in my haunt than probably any haunt in the country, its practically a scarefactory catalog! lol... Everything rod has built me over the years still works great, and I cant unfortunately say that about tons of other animations ive bought from other companies that wont last a week!! Hope that helps!!

-Tim

Jim Warfield
04-19-2009, 10:00 PM
"Ford, the truck with the most sales 25 years in a row, bar none!"
"Chevy Trucks, the best selling truck and the truck with the most trucks still on the road after 25 years!"
I saw and heard these ads during one super Bowl half-time, one right after the other, so somebody must be lying? Or just not telling the truth?
Bragg and ego are such a huge part of building, owning and running a haunt that they will never be absent from any such discussions concerning any part of these types of undertakings, so is anyone surprised by anything any of us say? Really? Offended? Really?
So we all just jumped into this haunt stuff recently then? About ten minutes ago?
When dealing in selling "Smoke and Mirrors" so successfully it is difficult to stop the smoke and clean the glass.
Let's all just give everyone a break, we all are much more the same than different, except for me, I'm superior (Mother Superior?) hahahaha!
You may now kiss my ring, now begone peasants!

xtremecreator
04-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Screamline. YOUR RIGHT! We locally know exactly whats up. I agree with every word you said.......

John

drfrightner
04-20-2009, 12:33 AM
The issue isn't if Rodney builds great products, because you know his stuff at the show was first class all the way. I was very impressed with everything Rodney did very creative... good job!!!

I'm sure he did well at the show, both shows all shows...that isnt' the issue. No tradeshow organizer should go around and starting promoting their show giving out numbers from their vendors, that is just dead wrong.

What is getting at me sorta, is all the blasting he's made against Hauntcon, and then he goes and does something stupid like this.

Well look I think its great some vendors did good...good for Nightscream, good for NHC, but serioulsy lets cut the nonsense here... one minute its Hauntcon is stealing our vendors, then name dropping vendors names probably without their knowledge, and probably putting them in harms ways, or making them look bad now talking about how much vendors made at your show. This is going to far!

Your relationships between you as a show organizer and your vendors should be PRIVATE be it how good, how bad they sold, or if they slam other shows, or tell you this or that... you will lose all of your trust from those vendors and do more harm than good. Bet on it!

I wish you guys future success but all this slamming, accusations, and now releasing numbers from vendors is really hurting your future efforts.

I'm not trying to hurt you but rather trying to help you.

Larry

PS: I doubt Rodney didn't pay his actors, I've known Rodney for a long time and I doubt he would do that. Rumors get started quick, and most rumors are FALSE, I know there has been more than one rumor started about me that wasn't true. Rumors should stay rumors.

The Mad Hatter
04-20-2009, 01:01 AM
I honestly thought vendors would have made more. This vendor is one of the largest in the industry, and made 100,00. This is kind of pathetic. The Halloween industry is worth over a billion! and one USA vendor counts as only way way way less than one percent?!? This is a big vendor we are talking about!! This probably doesn't doesn't count as the money collected under the table though . (seems to be a big problem in this industry.) anyways I am now believing haunted houses make the most money in the industry the top 13 grossing way more than a million a piece. But still that doesn't add up to 100 million "all the vendors and haunted house owners combined" . where is all of the other profit going?!?!? Looks like China Owns the Halloween industry with all of the millions of costumes and cheap props people buy... THIS IS KIND OF PATHETIC.

LARRY I have a question for you... What is the difference between the profits of the USA made Products and the China Profits??

I MAY BE MAY BE NUTS AND CHINA MAY NOT OWN AS MUCH OF THE HALLOWEEN INDUSTRY AS I ANTICIPATED.....I hope I am wrong by all of this!! Larry You know more than anyone else in this industry, you are the godfather if anyone believes it or not, you have done more than anyone else has for this industry Please enlighten me on this subject further.

-Frank Balzer

Darkangel
04-20-2009, 06:09 AM
I was thinking the same thing it's not really your business or any of ours what Rodney's sales were...Also, those numbers are ok but I would think Scarefactory might do those numbers in a couple hours at Transworld...Anyway good for you Rodney bad idea posting thier business...

Darkangel

mindtumor
04-20-2009, 08:01 AM
This was my point a couple of months ago when someone was asking how much money people spend at tradeshows and I said it was nobody's business. The data is good but if taken on a personal level and tied to a person this sort of announcement can happen. I am for this data being anonymous but not anounced like this. What a buyer spends and what a vendor makes is no one elses business and if anyone ever publicly anounced what I spent I would be very angry.

graystone
04-20-2009, 08:15 AM
I agree with Larry as far as products go Rodneys products impressed me A LOT! Again I wish him the best. I just hope I don't see this "I grew to quick to fast" excuse! Rodney a tip from Shane who has been in business for himself for 21 years! Yup started when I was 19! Anyway the tip is keep your numbers to yourself and dont focus on what you make as much as making your customers happy! Shane and its we will watch and see! Shane this time.

Speculo
04-20-2009, 08:15 AM
I agree with Larry here spreading this info isn't cool. Rodney brought some great products to the show, and his reputation for quality is very soild, just listen to the folks he has built items for. You cannot even be hating on him for bragging... He told some info to a person who THEN posted it here.

As far as the SHOW bringing him the sales, lets take a closer look. Who bought these items? Most of them probably came from folks he already knew! Personally I know 2 of the guys and now Tim makes 3 all saw his stuff at Transworld and knew Rodney already and just happened to write the orders there. Most of the folks who write big orders USUALLY already have some sort of connection to the vendor - trust makes the sale, not just the location.

Lets discuss Scarefactory for a moment here. With all of the complaints you hear why do people still buy from them? Because the inovation and the fact that they ultimately try to make things right seems to work as a business. We have bought from them consistantly for 12 years and although we have had ups and downs ultimately we will continue to purchase major effects from them because we are happy with the total package. Thats our take I am sure others have opinions.

As far as the Convention guys I think they are great guys, but a little new and a little eager. Needless to say we all continuously learn on this forum and in this business that being "cool" is better that bragging. If you say you are the best around here, someone will be here to push you down while the others chuckle.

So good luck National Haunters Convention, and good luck Rodney and good luck Scarefactory! Thank you all for making cool stuff and cool events to help us all improve our haunts.

Just be cool...

Thanks!

Matt Marich
04-20-2009, 08:58 AM
I agree Ben, our industry needs mega vendors such as Scarefactory as much as little guys with fantastic concepts. ( I would vote for Pale Night in this catagory, great people, good stuff, down home atmosphere.) I too think Rodney's stuff was spectacular, and deserves kudos, it keeps the Industry on it's toes seeing new guys. I too to catch myself bitching about Scarefactory now and then, but I would still but from them because of their look and shock factor.

If anyone wants to compare apples to oranges in quality, here's a few things to look for, pro's and con's:

Gauge of steel, look for vendors that use the thicker gauge through and through, you will pay more for shipping weight though.

Look for bearings or at least bushings, this definately cuts down on wear and tear.

Grade 8 hardware or hardened shaft bolts for axles. I've seen far to many Home Depot China bolts wear through completely due to friction.

Check the wiring on the controllers, look for nicely run wiring, labeled if possible, check for diodes on all 12v and 24 volt applications, this prevents programming errors.

Is the wiring/controller accessable? Do you enjoy fixing a prop on your busiest night with a flashlight in your mouth? Can the controller be easily removed and re-wired for replacement?

How is the latex critter attached? Does he look to spring out on his own and really launch an attack?

Can you the customer re-program easily?

Anyhow, off the soapbox for now. I need to get an order out today..., Happy Haunting

Matt

Jim Warfield
04-20-2009, 10:34 AM
"Thick steel", I weld and bolt my displays together using those good bolts when needed. My stuff won't be getting punched or kicked and screwed up and no hernias for the UPS or Fed-Ex person because nothing here will be sold or traveling (Nice advantage)
"Thick steel" helped save me when the sausage semi went through the trunk and backseat 80MPH to say "Hi!"
The tail spoiler I built was almost solid steel, I used to carry alot of lumber across the spoiler so it had to be that way.
Sometimes it's just those very simple things like the guage of metal used that make the difference.

Mr Nightmarez
04-20-2009, 11:46 AM
My biggest concern and issue is Nightscream is carrying Keith Korner's Walls. Yes Scare Parts - So I avoided his stuff like the plaque...

I was told several stories on how/why he has them but considering Keith's products or name was associated with it - made me look elsewhere.

I will wait and see how things turn out. But I wish them all the luck as their stuff was amazing -

I think NHC is just wanting to express the value add, but as you have all mentioned - maybe not the right place or time. Possibly a better statement would be Vendors see $200,000 in sales while attending NHC... or Vendors even did well.
As the newest convention on the block - they are trying to tout how great the show did and was for all. (Well at least that's what I read from it!)

I hope all the shows continue to strive and become more and more successful and I hope I can truly afford to do 2 or more shows again next year....

**Back to Lurk Mode**

Hauntsberg
04-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Night Scream Productions is a stand up vendor.

We bought all of our first animations from him 5 years ago. He went above and beyond what ANY vendor has ever done for us to this day, delivered ontime, and threw in a ton of extras.

Furthermore every one of the 20+ animations we got from NightScream are still working at our show year after year with zero breakdowns.

Keep up the great work Rodney and glad you had a good show at NHC!

Angela Dunne
Fright Kingdom

Kevin Dells
04-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Rodney it sounds like youv'e got a lot of sales,congrads!

From my point of veiw now your up to your ears in bussiness"Are you looking for another prop builder?"

Where you located man?

::Waves hand::

spookologist
04-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Rodney has been great to deal with over the years. I was one of those buyers that purchased a bunch of stuff right at the end of the show. One of my main reasons for attending NHC was to see his booth because I never got a chance to place an order with him in St Louis.

We all had a good time at NHC!!!!!

Wayne
www.trailofterror.com

TheNightMare
04-21-2009, 02:10 AM
If this thread is soooo bad, WHY didn't Larry just delete this thread so no one saw it? Why leave it up if this is wrong?

drfrightner
04-21-2009, 03:34 AM
I'm ripped on for everything I do delete or don't delete and I'm accused of deleting stuff I never deleted... look harder is what I tell some people who email me. Either way I agree its wrong, however this post is on topic of haunts, its a haunt tradeshow. I don't think anyone is being rude or slanderous towards Rob or starting or dragging out some dramafest which is un-needed. He posted it I think it was wrong, he could put this same thing up on tons of boards so its not like its going away.

This needed to be addressed. I'm letting him know flat out I think many vendors will second guess EVER going to his show in the future or telling him anything if he's going to spread around everything he's told like what Pickel said or didn't say, or how much a vendor did or didn't make.

He claims he wants no drama but he seems to stir up a lot of it... right now I'm just confused as to what he really wants! LOL

Honestly I have nothing against Rob or this show but Rob needs to address some issues here if he's truly going to move forward. I hope they do well but geeezzzz does he need to reel in the drama, and bad decisions before this boat sinks. Lastly, to me this seems like a CHEAP attempt to lure in other vendors and you just don't do it this way. First off I don't believe it for a second... second and I'm simply being honest I heard from most vendors they didn't do well. I heard there wasn't hardly anyone at this event, so for someone to turn around and start bragging about a vendor doing a 100k, opens the door for the vendors who didn't make 100 dollars to start moaning, or posting their complaints. Lets face reality here for a second... these kinds of shows especially NHC are great get togethers, places to have some fun, see some haunts, but a primary place for vendors to make a living NO WAY! So why all the drama about Hauntcon stealing your vendors, and now your vendors are making 100k? Lets cut the drama and get these shows back to the main purpose they serve and keep the fun, friendship, and focus on the haunts and haunted events primary. I think all this drama has soaked every inch of fun right out of the NHC.

Larry

Gore Galore
04-21-2009, 08:59 AM
The moment I saw this thread, I started to hold my breath. I knew it was a dangerous thing to talk about.

Here is an important point. Did the organizers of NHC ask for the vendor's permission to post these #s?
That is really the big deal. As long as they got permission then they didn't violate any trust between themselves and Rodney or other vendors. But they need permission to take this information to a public arena.

I think Michael and Rob are great guys who love this industry, and they just want to run a great convention. How they do it is a learning process, and shall I just say they may have learned a major lesson. So, give them a break and lets move on to more positive things.

I see this event getting bigger and bigger if good decisions are made that buyers want and need in a convention. The seminars speaker lineup was amazing again this year, just like last year. And these guys listen so that will help them continue to grow.

And by the way Rodney. I think your work is very creative and I wish you luck. Not that you need it. You have been in this business for many years.

Ken Spriggs
04-21-2009, 09:25 AM
I know for one......as a vendor we never talk $.....we never tell anyone.
The only people who need to know our business as a vendor....are my partners and the tax man.
If anyone throws #'s they are bragging.
If someone is bragging.......LOOK AT ME..... LOOK AT ME......people made money at my show....
You really need to wonder why.

Leonard goes to shows promoting his convention......right
All convention owners do the same to increase attendance and vendors.....right
Night screams SUPPOSSEDLY says they took 100,000 in orders at the east coast haunt show?....MAYBE MAYBE NOT I have not seen Rodney say this or hear Rodney say this.
Rob throws out kind of personal and confidential information from his vendor........right
In the process Rob is saying to vendors....LOOK RODNEY CAN MAKE MONEY WHY CAN'T YOU?

I think what may work for ROB next time is to ask how many orders he took.
Scarefactory can take that much in a few hours
We as a vendor will never see a haunt show that takes 100,000 in orders for us.

Gore Galore
04-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Ken,

Man,
You really need to stop being so pessimistic.
You have a great company that has people in it who love this industry who take great pride in their work and who love to make people scream.

Buyers see that, and know right up front what they are getting.
Just let it happen and stop worrying about it good or bad.

Ken Spriggs
04-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Kevin? You missed the point!

I will never sell $100,00 in smells at a show......IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN
Now as far as costumes.....maybe

The whole point is........

WHY on Gods green earth would someone say.....LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME I MADE $100,000
IN ORDERS!!!!!

I have no issues with my companies work.
It stands for itself........I am not trying to make a living from this stuff.
I am supplimenting my regular day job with a hobby.
A FREAKING HOBBY.....it will never be more than that......A HOBBY!
He said this she said this.............WHO CARES?
It's all gossip!

Slain
04-21-2009, 01:40 PM
I am so happy that Keith Korner (scareparts) has found somewhere to sell his stuff. Congrats to this new company......

drfrightner
04-21-2009, 04:05 PM
I agree with Ken, its like saying someone selling teeth would sell $100,000 worth of teeth at one haunt show? NO WAY! Could you sell a 100k order to Walmart sure ... the price point is low so it would take boat loads of orders to ever reach those figures for a product with a low price point.

This doesn't mean that those products aren't making as much if not more profit per item percentage wise, probably more, but when you are selling say $10,000 T-Rex you only need to sell 10. If someone is selling $30 teeth if they sold 1000 its still only $30,000.00

I see Kens point.

Larry

Greg Chrise
04-21-2009, 07:23 PM
I don't think I ever got anywhere over $4 for teeth from the tooth fairy.

Jim Warfield
04-21-2009, 08:11 PM
If a kid of mine kept growing new teeth every month and just cleaned out my bank account at $4.00 a tooth, I would quit paying for them, being that quickly and easily grown.
You still grinding those molars Gregg?
(And you tell the customers you use a grinder to remove that 1/4" of old concrete!)

Greg Chrise
04-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Is it $4 for every tooth you lose and grow another one or is it $4, your net worth for any teeth you have left? Is there extra for fangs that grow when you need them?

Tater
04-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Look Waffle Crotch its still here

screamline studios
04-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks you old bitter crotch i must have over looked it..

XOXOXO

Jason

screamline studios
04-22-2009, 10:40 PM
And by the way! waffle crotch is your name and always will be!!!

jason