PDA

View Full Version : Appeals court rules FEDEX drivers are independant contractors

JamBam
04-21-2009, 10:10 AM
One more argument for those in IRS sights about actors as independant contractors.

Appeals court rules FEDEX drivers are independant contractors.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=ahf9LPjrNuKA&refer=home

It is hard to believe that these drivers are ruled this way.

More info on this later I guess.

Jim Warfield
04-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Put out with English /Indian language print.
Two stories attracted my attention. The resort industry lost tons of income because those wealthy companys didn't bring employees out for a partry weekend/seminair, something about everyone else thinking spending $100,000's of money to entertain a few people is morally bankrupt.....? But they have a politician's ear and he might be trying to restore "business as usual" for them....
The other story concerned a man suing a hotel because because even though he is a "confessed" alcoholic, he got drunk in their bar and then fell down 100 feet of stairs and sort of screwed himself up! (How about that?)
Maybe he's suing because his new injuries might crimp his drinking style?
NUTTY!
Wouldn't it be nice to run a haunt and only have to tolerate, say 40 customers to see $350,000 coming in the door?
"WHAAA! I wunt BIG MONEY NOW!
hahahaha!

Brandon_K
04-21-2009, 08:02 PM
They leave out the detail of which driver.

Ask any FedEx Ground or Home Delivery driver and they'll flat out tell you that they're an independant. The FedEx Express guys will tell you they're employees of FedEx.

The Ground and HD guys own their own trucks, do all the maintenance, don't necessarily work every day, etc.

Jim Warfield
04-21-2009, 09:28 PM
They could remove any speed governors on the engines , or replace those put-put motors with something more racy and being contractors drive faster, get home sooner and maybe do totally independant hauling around town in their spare time?
Rent out a Fed-ex truck for a traveling party van!

Brandon_K
04-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Actually... The motors in those delivery vans are pretty decent. The Sprinters use a I-5 turbo diesel designed by Mercedes and is pretty f'in sweet. If I could have gotten my hands on one for the right price, I would have put it in my Wrangler instead of a 4.6L stroked 4.0L motor. Those Sprinters are getting better than 20MPG.. And the bigger trucks are typically using an Isuzu NPR or Cummins power plant which, with the right mods can make some pretty serious power. My Dad owns a Snap On franchise, his new truck has a 6.7L Cummins that has a few little mods to it.. It's probably one of the faster Snap On tucks out there ;)

But now I'm just being to technical and getting off topic.

Jim Warfield
04-24-2009, 09:21 PM
I was told the UPS trucks all used the 300 cu.in. Ford straight 6 cylinder engine. I drove a Ford work truck for many years and it was a good motor. I was also told back then if you went to a wrecking yard looking for a Ford 300 engine that they were usually not to be found because they just kept on running, staying out of salvage!
Pretty soon everyone in the USA will be an "Independant contractor", which is great if someone pays you enough for all the missing benefits and taxes. But that hardly ever happens now does it?
On the extremely greedy end of the corp. scale did you know Wal-Mart insures the life of their managers for $100,000? Guess who gets the money when the manager drops dead?
Wal-Mart, not the family.
"Wal-Mart stock went up $2.00 today!"
"I wonder how many of their managers died?"
Shrewd business? Just like the bite of Dracula, "Shrewd".
(And if they could have them rise from the dead and be the un-dead they would insure them again and put them back to work!)
Collecting $100,000 every sunrise! WOW! I just impressed myself!
"He's dead, no heartbeat, please pay us..again."