PDA

View Full Version : Leonard Pickel Accepting Lifetime Achievement Award!

Jolly Pumpkin
04-22-2009, 08:45 PM
a_7-3SHnphI

Here is the video of Leonard Pickel accepting his lifetime achievement award at the IAHA Banquet. This video is from www.hauntedreport.com (http://www.hauntedreport.com). I'm not sure if it's been posted yet, but here it is either way.

chuck weber
04-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Always remember, pickles come from pickle seeds. (spare me)

FrightProps
04-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Slain
04-23-2009, 10:47 AM
So does this mean that his life as a haunter is over? Is he announcing his retirement? This is when you get a life time achievement award.. Very strange...

FrightProps
04-23-2009, 10:55 AM
A lot of people get lifetime achievement awards when their careers are still active. Not unusual at all.

I knew the minute I read this posting of the video (which I never knew about before this thread) was going to get a lot of heat!

Can't we give this guy his 2:54 minutes of joy and happiness?
After all, he has been around this industry since rock undwear were in fashion!

Slain
04-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Maybe he will move on to something else.. The old saying what have you done for me lately comes to mind....

But yes let's give him his 2:54 minutes he does deserve that..

damon carson
04-23-2009, 11:26 AM
It kind of looks like he is wrapping things up. Selling the magazine and the site. D.O.A is exactly that. Hauntcon soon to follow. Maybe the rest of his groupies should do the same.
Damon

Slain
04-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Rock on Damon!!!!

Darkangel
04-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Damon deserves a lifetime achievement award for his post here!

Darkangel

robert
04-23-2009, 03:29 PM
The disrespectful comments I've just read here in regards to Leonard Pickle are very disheartening. To think that there are people in the Haunt industry that have forgotten or just don't know about the early contributions of people like Leonard Pickle, Rich Hanf, Larry Kirshner, John Burton, John Denley, David Bertalino, Ed Edmunds and others too numerous to mention over the past 15 to 20 years that shaped this industry is a little sad. Maybe we do need a history lesson or two along with the "How to scare" DVD's and trade show panels.

Infoamtek
04-23-2009, 04:45 PM
It could be because nowdays making a haunt is easy. Any bozo with a credit card can do it. They have no idea the effort that was needed years back, when you often had to do EVERYTHING yourself. And they find it easier to tear down than to build themselves up with hard work and dedication, because that would mean they would actually have to DO something.

Tartarus
04-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Can anyone name any successful haunts this guy has done. Anything that could compare to Netherworld, The Darkenss, Bates Motel, The Edge of Hell or any other haunt with similar ratings.

All i know about him is that he is a bad business man.

robert
04-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Tartarus, What do you know about the rest of the guys on my list? Did it ever occur to you that the very haunts you named might be indebted to those guys in one way or another. That includes Leonard.

SomeThingInTheIce
04-23-2009, 06:06 PM
None that could compare to any of the the ones you have named but he has had a few that rank up there with "Renny's Haunted Barn" thats the haunt that won Fear Nets home haunt contest.lol. I can think of nothing that has had any bit of success, in the video he stated get to the goal first and not worry about what your competition is doing. Last I knew smart business practice is to observe what your competition is doing and then do it better and cheaper, no wonder he never had a successful business.

Can anyone name any successful haunts this guy has done. Anything that could compare to Netherworld, The Darkenss, Bates Motel, The Edge of Hell or any other haunt with similar ratings.

All i know about him is that he is a bad business man.

Jim Warfield
04-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Since there is only ONE style of a haunt that works, makes customers "Happy" AND makes some profit, then I guess Mr. Leonard might be considered not a success...but then ...let's see?
What style of haunt is that again that is the only correct method of doing this stuff?
You Have to have..day glo paint?
A spinning tunnel with a guy in a electric chair at the end of it? Watch him go round and round! Upside down! haHAHAHA! NEAT!
Leonard and Jeanne spent some time here with me and my now ex-wife. We all had a good time socializing. Leonard and Jeanne were upfront with me (and right) when they warned me about the scariest thing in my house and that I should either fix it or get rid of it, so I got a divorce.
All fixed now!

I try to give Everyone a break here. Whoever is perfect and has never made a wrong move may throw the first stoner.(Don't worry, you won't wake him up)
As difficult and time consuming as the multiple tasks are to establishing a haunt business are we should never be giving anyone grief who is actually our working "Brother", even if they can't put on a show when they are done putting up walls and making props and selling tickets, they still work long and hard and most people will learn and get better at anything they keep trying to do.
The old trite saying:"What goes around comes around", was recently illustrated locally when a person basically stole money from a befuddled old woman, then a short time later the theif had a very painfull experience befall them, from a stupid unthinking act they did to themselves leaving scars that will not be healing quickly or without pain.
The thing I'm referring to has nothing to do with an electric chair in a vortex tunnel either, but "close".

Greg Chrise
04-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Imagine being in the same relative business for 30 years and every adaptation you try and every short coming or dissapointment is completely public. The opinions of competitors and those of different methods of operating voicing how their way of approach is obviously better. Every verbal agreement, every contract and every completed task you as a business owner is an open book for the whole 30 year period for the whole world to judge, learn from and perhaps not make the same mistakes from.

Some might throw in the towel at 5 years. Some would be out to never have another failure again after 10. After 20 years with continuous ongoing things not really working out toward being rich and famous one might give in and be destructive to others rather than helpful.

Now that I think about it, I have heard Leonard describe why different situations did not work out properly but never heard him just say any specific person just plain sucks. And all of these good manerisms work in any thing that is being taken on as providing a professional service and how grand things work out is still limited by the real world market and how one can collect the resources to make nothing into something or everyone on here would be having some servant making their posts.

In my day business and so many other little services we provide there are 40 dissapointing appointments per year. People die, people go on to other things, people sell out, people become theives, people who had it become have nots, people are effected by the things the market has done for them or to them and none of it owning your own business is like something from the Doris Day Show.

Somehow Leonard has been enough of a go getter to find all of these business situations to get into and learn from all over the country and never gave up and somehow made a living rather than report to a job somewhere even though he has the credentials to do so. Right now I know Leonard has had a year of his father being seriously ill and has spent the last year involved in jumping around the country to take care of his family. Hauntcon was the opportunity for even his elderly father to take part in being there to participate in the event.

Lets all kick each other around when we are distracted by things we care about. And I could but haven't talked to Leonard. Selling businesses that have been built up just before a long national economic rebuild is required is genious. I should have sold my company! There have been tough times before over the last 30 years, and only those that really know can gage what it takes to survive these things over and over and how much energy it takes. Sell rather than have other responsibilities run everything into the ground.

I'm actually highly impressed that someone with a full education and good family morals figured this out despite what you are supposed to do having been taught by the world at large. He didn't and hasn't quit. He has sold.

What really good decisions has everyone else made and how long did it take to figure out the pattern?

How about the posts on here start looking like here is what has really worked for us rather than guess what else sucks. Maybe someone can actually learn something?

There are so many positive things Leonard has done for everyone. Wether arguing about while in conversation directly with him or not he has been there to render a different opinion to anyone that isn't a total jerk.

There has never been any decaration of how much Castle Dragon or Mayhem manor raised for charities over the last decades or how many have learned to duplicate these efforts and continue to raise money for communities even though many of these operators could use the money themselves?

And you want to compare these rag tag haunts that have been doing the deed for 30 years to totally for profit million dollar haunts? I guess you lose for not knowing how the world works yet. Nope, they don't put billions in your pocket because they aren't up to Disney standards but they make money for people that are not otherwise funded year after year. That's 30 years of making money for other people and making sure others can do that as well if they are up to it. You don't see them on good morning america. Who gives a crap if some pile of crap raised $10,000 or $100,000 for some cause every year for 30 years while it continued to rot or that there were multiples of the same design unadvertised popping up here and there.

You haven't seen the faces of the benefitiaries of any of these works, the praise from even the actors that had something to do with their lives that they will remember and charish forever. Everyone involved was impowered and Oprah only started this crap over the last 10 years.

Only when someone thought they could take a piece of crap haunt or a couple piece of crap haunts and get rich and signed a contract did things go bad. But, there are dozens more than the ones that have failed, that have turned the dime over and over for others who needed it.

drfrightner
04-24-2009, 04:16 AM
I just caught this thread tonight... first I've seen. If you haven't noticed I've been away most of the last few weeks. I'm trying to get my head back on straight. I'm kinda in a funk actually.

Anyway... its hard to say what is deserving of a lifetime achievement award and what isn't. Did Leonard do anything that shaped what you do in your haunt today? Hard to say.

Most if not all haunts I see today do not resemble even slightly anything I've ever seen from Leonard. Haunts have evolved, changed so much that are FAR from the 80's so far its hard to even remember what they where like. Its one thing for someone to say Exocist still to do this day influences horror movies, because it does and some haunt someone did back in the 80's or 90's because they don't.

I am not inspired by my own haunts from way back when and to be honest kinda embarrassed by them considering todays standards. But you know you start somewhere and you improve, progress, expand, grow, change and to be honest I don't think that ever happened with Leonard.

He has his style and what he likes, and he seems to have stuck by it...I don't know enough about what he's doing or isn't doing so maybe it still works for him I don't know.

As for the advancement of of our industry through revolutionizing the way we haunt I would say no ... on the other hand he's the guy who has promoted this 60 degree thing which many haunts use today. He promoted the idea of module haunted houses which some people still use today just different. He published a magazine, and well that has to be worth a lot to the different people.

People would argue what he deserves an award for, I wouldn't say for haunting itself, but maybe what he did in the field or promoting different concepts or through his magazine which has helped many people.

Sooo... if he does or doesn't deserve an award people on both sides would argue and I think you have a good case for either direction. But the mere fact that you are talking about him still even after he has sold his magazine, his website, and everything else says something about any impact he's had on the industry.

So yeah sure give him an award it doesn't hurt anyone... he's been through the grinder, the ups and the downs, he deserves an award!

Kudos to Leonard.

A few years ago IAHA wanted to give me some award, and I told them I didn't want one and would not accept one, and I will not ever accept any awards, they mean nothing to me. I do what I can do because I want to not because someone asked me.

There are many people in this industry who do deserve awards people who have inspired our industry to think bigger, go large, and go deep...

I would start with David Bertolino and after him well it would be hard to compare! He was the true HALLOWEEN KING!

Larry

mindtumor
04-24-2009, 07:31 AM
I just caught this thread tonight... first I've seen. If you haven't noticed I've been away most of the last few weeks. I'm trying to get my head back on straight. I'm kinda in a funk actually.

Anyway... its hard to say what is deserving of a lifetime achievement award and what isn't. Did Leonard do anything that shaped what you do in your haunt today? Hard to say.

Most if not all haunts I see today do not resemble even slightly anything I've ever seen from Leonard. Haunts have evolved, changed so much that are FAR from the 80's so far its hard to even remember what they where like. Its one thing for someone to say Exocist still to do this day influences horror movies, because it does and some haunt someone did back in the 80's or 90's because they don't.

I am not inspired by my own haunts from way back when and to be honest kinda embarrassed by them considering todays standards. But you know you start somewhere and you improve, progress, expand, grow, change and to be honest I don't think that ever happened with Leonard.

He has his style and what he likes, and he seems to have stuck by it...I don't know enough about what he's doing or isn't doing so maybe it still works for him I don't know.

As for the advancement of of our industry through revolutionizing the way we haunt I would say no ... on the other hand he's the guy who has promoted this 60 degree thing which many haunts use today. He promoted the idea of module haunted houses which some people still use today just different. He published a magazine, and well that has to be worth a lot to the different people.

People would argue what he deserves an award for, I wouldn't say for haunting itself, but maybe what he did in the field or promoting different concepts or through his magazine which has helped many people.

Sooo... if he does or doesn't deserve an award people on both sides would argue and I think you have a good case for either direction. But the mere fact that you are talking about him still even after he has sold his magazine, his website, and everything else says something about any impact he's had on the industry.

So yeah sure give him an award it doesn't hurt anyone... he's been through the grinder, the ups and the downs, he deserves an award!

Kudos to Leonard.

A few years ago IAHA wanted to give me some award, and I told them I didn't want one and would not accept one, and I will not ever accept any awards, they mean nothing to me. I do what I can do because I want to not because someone asked me.

There are many people in this industry who do deserve awards people who have inspired our industry to think bigger, go large, and go deep...

I would start with David Bertolino and after him well it would be hard to compare! He was the true HALLOWEEN KING!

Larry

Are you still in a funk over your birthday? Have some popsicles man.

Tartarus
04-24-2009, 02:38 PM
I am still mad because l purchased a 2 yr subscription to his magazine and i only recieved 2. He never returned any of my calls or emails.

So to me thats a BAD business man!

drfrightner
04-24-2009, 03:53 PM
No not over my birthday but just the stress I put myself under to build the darkness that building and everything so fast... now I'm emotionally involved in baseball so I'm having a hard time getting motivated for Halloween again... just put to much into it the first go around.

Larry

Gore Galore
04-24-2009, 04:03 PM
Tartarus,
I would contact HAM again to complete your subscription.
The new owner will help you get what you paid for.

mindtumor
04-25-2009, 01:43 PM
No not over my birthday but just the stress I put myself under to build the darkness that building and everything so fast... now I'm emotionally involved in baseball so I'm having a hard time getting motivated for Halloween again... just put to much into it the first go around.

Larry

You have plenty of time to get motivated for haunt season. Don't worry about it and just enjoy your children's baseball and other summer family activities, hence the popsicles. After all that is what is truly important, you can live without haunting but not family stuff.

robert
04-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Did I read that right????!!!!!.......... Family before Haunting?