PDA

View Full Version : This message will save you thousands $$$$

Mad Wax Sculptor
04-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Ok guys
I want to take a momment to share a little known secret that I have used for the last few yrs to save thousands $$$. How much do you spend on paint??? what if paint were free? what if you could get hundreds of gallons for free every week. Yes this is legal. since 2005 I have painted the hell out of my haunt and several others for free heres how. Most major citys have an environmental mgt offices. By law a large city must have a means to safely collect and neutralize house hold chemicals (this inludes house paint) These centers collect thousands of gallons of unwanted paints (yes even black) at collection events weekly. They must dispose of this paint weekly and in most cases will allow anyone to come and collect all the free paint they want. This saves the city a tone of money since they dont have to spend $$ on disposal. This is also a way to save money and the environment. I Know several citys like Dallas , FT worth and Houston have free tables set up ask your city and see what they offer. With money being so tight we need all the help we can get. The beauty is latex paint mixes very easily. If you get several gallons of white and some black and mix it your self in a 5 gallon bucket you get a concrete gray and save $75. Who cant use 5gallons of gray paint? I advise everyone to contact their citys enviro mgt office and see if they can take advantage of this. In most cases they might even hold back a supply of paint just for you if they know your serious and will come and get it.

shawnc
04-29-2009, 05:21 PM
That's a great idea!

Another good idea is to watch for community clean-up days. They do it twice a year in my town and residents can drop off almost any old items they want to get rid of (including paint sometimes). It's a great place to get old furniture, lumber, metal, and other great stuff. The city likes the idea because it keeps stuff out of their landfill and puts it to "good" use.

Allen H
04-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks MADWAX,
You know how cheap I am, i have a weekly routine that I run on the good dumpsters in three or four cities, as well as a few dumpsters for storage places (amazing what they throw away there) I will look into the paints thing here in my neck of the woods.
Allen H

Mad Wax Sculptor
04-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Hey Allen
I know Dallas has a drop off center that has free paint as well as Plano. Dallas and FT worth have the greatest amount as they weekly collect for the smaller citys in the county

Jim Warfield
04-29-2009, 08:32 PM
A local painter of rooms and houses would save all of his old paint for me and drop it off once a year, this was great for awhile......finally I had painted everything and the paint just kept coming!
Some Latex would freeze in the winter and be junk, some wouldn't (never figured that out?)
"Free" is always good as long as you have a use for it or storage.

Banshee
04-29-2009, 08:34 PM
We go through a LOT of trash paint each year! That is one good thing about the haunt business.. we need a lot of what most people consider trash and are able to recycle and re-use for our sets...
Oh yeah..dumpster-divers -r-us.. LOL!!

Jim Warfield
04-29-2009, 08:44 PM
I have the technology to saw off the bad end of a dumpster board. I also have the skill (or is it "desire"?) to pull nails from old boards..I know it doesn't sound that impressive to alot of us but I know people who do not have these abilitys!

shawnc
04-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Jim, isn't that the truth? I have pulled hundreds of new boards out of dumpsters that have a couple of nails in them, or a bad spot on one end. I am going to be driving new nails or screws anyway so the old nails don't bother me, and I have lots of uses for 7 1/2 foot long 2x4s. They don't all have to be 8-foot to be useful.

I especially like finding plywood. I am amazed at the quantity of new stuff that is thrown out for no obvious reason.