PDA

View Full Version : Buffet on Newspapers

drfrightner
05-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Are any of you still using newspapers? If you are find the nearly lake, strap a 100 pound weight to your ankle and jump in! LOL

If you haven't heard the biggest newspaper or one of the biggest is the Boston Globe, and the owners are sticking it to the workers forcing them to take huge reductions in pay otherwise they say they will simply shut down the whole paper!

Our paper here in St. Louis almost has NO advertisers like almost NONE, they have cut the paper in half, and eliminated several sections of the paper, its what I would call a SHELL of itself.

Here is what Warren Buffet had to say about newspaper industry...

http://finance.yahoo.com/insurance/article/107029/Business-Musings-From-Woodstock-for-Capitalists

drfrightner
05-04-2009, 04:57 PM
With the economy shaky, you must spend your marketing dollars SMART this year... don't waste them on things that do NOT WORK! Newspapers DO NOT WORK! Spend smart!

Question... what will you spend your money on this year? What do you want to try, what do you think works and doesn't work?

Larry

JamBam
05-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Larry,
Good news for you and Steve.

My internet ad budget is the only part of the advertising that I am increasing. Bought banners as high as I could in my state and a side banner in a neighboring state on both Hauntworld.com and HauntedHouse.com

Newspaper ads were at an all time low last year and will be less this year.

Nightgore
05-04-2009, 05:50 PM
MAJOR TV... signed on to SEVERAL stations here in town.

Internet... We're hitting the major haunts sites, myspace/facebook, youtube, blog... we're really pushing out site, it's plastered on EVERYTHING we do!

Radio... we grabbed an amazing deal with a BIG radio company in town (several stations) and we're getting nearly 45 mins. of play; a day! Not to mention remotes EVERY WEEKEND, live call ins, station visits, etc. etc.

We're also doing print... we're going to put table tents on every table, in every dining hall, on every college campus here and within 45 miles. Also going to litter the campuses with print outs, coupons, etc. etc. etc.

We're also running our TV ad in the 3 BIG movie theaters here in town!

-Tyler

Boni
05-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Without a strong internet presense, we have to rely on more conventional methods. Billboards were our best draw last year.

We ran 4 billboard in our county for 2 months. Got tons of people saying they saw the signs.

We also did 3 weeks of radio leading up to opening night.

Some of our more creative methods. Since we are a charity, we went to the 4-5 largest employers in town and offered discounted tickets through their employee clubs. Get this, THEY sold the tickets for us. We give them 200 tickets, they put up posters all around their lunch room and stuff and then employees can go in at designated times and buy the tickets. Then they send us the cash. These employee clubs are trying to offer deals to their employees and they can't make money, just provide discounts, so it was perfect.

WE also put a float in the homecoming parade of the biggest high school in town.

Boni
05-04-2009, 10:17 PM
With the economy shaky, you must spend your marketing dollars SMART this year... don't waste them on things that do NOT WORK! Newspapers DO NOT WORK! Spend smart!

Question... what will you spend your money on this year? What do you want to try, what do you think works and doesn't work?

Larry

There are areas of the country where the small local newspapers are still doing well. Take midwest cities of 15,000 people or less. These people love their high school sports. They love seeing their kids picture in the paper.

Us midwesterners also like gossip, so we actually read the police beat and the divorce court proceedings because we know the people. The letters to the editor deal with the basketball coaches, and religion, and sometimes politics, but mostly the basketball coaches.

I can uderstand how in a city of 50,000 or more, with more than one high school, where not everybody knows your name, newspapers are struggling, but in my home town, the paper is still the source of information.

With that said, the only thing we do is send a press release and then we get a full page article, not ad, in the entertainment section. We spend zero dollars on print.

jason
05-05-2009, 12:04 PM
why is no one (besides larry i see) on twitter?

check this out twit_radio . this is a project/tv show that i am working on so with that said maybe your haunt could use this to your advantage somehow. feel free to follow twit_radio (www.twittertvlive.com ).

Haunted Illinois
05-05-2009, 12:37 PM
I just recently got hooked up with Twitter: http://twitter.com/hauntedillinois

I've found Midwest Haunters Convention, HauntedHouse.com, Leonard P and a number of haunted houses. It seems to be picking up steam, but may take a while for more people to get on the site. It's really more for social networking than haunt advertising, I think...

Jim Warfield
05-06-2009, 01:42 AM
I just hope I don't get one of my twitters caught in the washing machine wringer!
http://twitter.com/ravens_grin

been there awhile....twit...twit..tweet!

Speculo
05-06-2009, 09:59 AM
This whole game is about being aware. If you are getting impressions in your target demographic at a good price, does it matter if its a newspaper, radio or web?

What matters is that you don't pay too much on your cost to reach people. If newspapers are crashing, the ad rates should be going down. If ad rates are fair or good for the people you are reaching, then it is still a viable form of advertising.

What you never want to do is pay too much to reach too few people.

You could just as easily pay too much for web advertising as for a newspaper.

Bottom line is to treat all forms of media as tools to meet your goals, diversify, and always look for the cheapest ways to reach the most people who might buy a ticket from you IMO.

Thanks!

Ben
NETHERWORLD