PDA

View Full Version : Scareside 2009

Scareside
05-10-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm going to be 17 this year and going to put on our biggest haunt yet as a senior year celebration. Below is the plan for our haunt. Right now it's an Burned up Asylum with the spirit of a crazed murderer named Ryan. (More to come in the story)

Now I am an A/V freak so we have many video and lighting effect being put in this year like a pre-show and all the lights will be dimmed / controlled from a LOR unit, DMX, and a PC relay board.

Below is the layout currently planned for this year. We couldn't put it into the garage because the doors open to low for the 8' panels.

Tell me what you think of the design. Or suggestion of what we could add.

Front Yard Fright
05-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Looks very good! Although I don't know what a meat shop and a spiders room would be doing in an asylum... Make do with what you got!

Is this going to be a free standing structure then?

Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Scareside
05-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Yeah it's going to be free standing. I'm not sure if we should get a tent or just put plastic over the top.

Also those rooms were changed to kitchen, and the spiders is just a run down hallway with a lot of bugs.

scarygoat
05-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Looks good man! Are you using wooden wall panels or black plastic? For our home haunt we made a maze by putting wooden posts in the ground and then we attached black plastic sheeting between them to create walls. It worked great! We will be doing the same thing for this year's haunt. It obviously isn't as good as wooden wall panels, but it works for our haunt and it is cheaper then wooden wall panels.

What did you use to sketch up that plan?

Scareside
05-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Yeah we are going to be using Wall panels and plastic for the roof. Also yes that was made in Google Sketchup. Works good for basic stuff like this.

evilmanor
05-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Be sure and reinforce the black plastic roof if it's going to be up for any length of time (especially if chance of rain).

I made that mistake last year. It's amazing how much water it can catch in such a short amount of time.

After being practically flooded I ended up using some light weight welded wire (already had it) and stretched it across my roof with a few 2x's here and there for support. Black plastic over that and it held up really well despite the amount of rain we got last year.

Scareside
06-05-2009, 07:07 PM
After talking to my parent and some friend most are saying to put it in the garage. The main reason is they think that since we are not "popular" yet that many will just be afraid and not actually go in the backyard. Also, insurance. So I came up with a few ideas for the garage, which also has a list of cons and pros.

Pros: No roof to build, saves $$$: Compressor can go outback so it's quieter: Controlled sets for building and lighting.

Cons: Smaller space: Garage doors installed call for custom panels to be built (to short for 8'): Facade hard to secure to side of house

So with these in mind I went and designed a design for a garage version of our haunt. It's a 16x20' space so it is a decently sized area. Tell me what you think.

shawnc
06-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Forget the doors - how high is the ceiling in the garage?

UnDeRTaKer313
06-06-2009, 01:21 PM
when we did it in our garage like that.
we have to cut those panels down to 6' 7".
it make quite a cool effect, cause its really claustrophobic.

Scareside
06-07-2009, 08:56 AM
There are three measurements for the garage.

The ceiling is 9' Tall, the doors them self are 7'8, and the rails they are on are 7'6.

In the end this means in the back I can use my old 8' panels, but for the front I have to make 7'6 panels and one 7'4 panel (that one goes under the rails).

evilmanor
06-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Cons: Smaller space: Garage doors installed call for custom panels to be built (to short for 8'): Facade hard to secure to side of house

That's a pain we deal with every year, but no has every even noticed. With the garage door we've used that as a shelf if you will to run extension cords across and last year even put a fogger up there.

Don't forget to secure the door for the big night (don't want it coming down on anyone), and if you have an automatic door closer you may want to disconnect it.

Here's what I'm planning for part of my apt and single car garage (exit).
http://www.evilmanor.com/apt_layout092.png

tchaunt
06-07-2009, 05:31 PM
All of your plans look good so far. There was one thing I noticed though: the rooms don't fit together....yet. I think that if you change your story a bit, they wouldn't have to have physical transitions. For instance, you can put, "Over the course of the years, many patients have passed through the doors of this building, the building that would prove to be the place of their death. For years, the shadows and screams that haunted their minds were the reason for their imprisonment. Now, 78 years later, the creatures and contortions that haunted their minds still roam these halls, but they're all too real. Can you go crazy and come back? Or will it be too much for you? Test your mind at [NAME]!"

Sorry about forgetting to throw in the reason for burning. It wouldn't be too hard, though, for you to take what I wrote and get ideas for your story. You've done a great job so far!

Scareside
06-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the story idea TCHaunt. I'll definantly incorperate some of that into mine.
And evilmanor, seeing the tight space work for someone else is good to know.

Just throwing this out there. Has anyone ever had problems with adults not coming in. It seem that I get hundreds of kids and no adults. Kind of reversed from what I thought was going to happen. Should I require at least one adult per group?

scarygoat
06-13-2009, 03:34 PM
We got a mixture of kids, teens, and adults. Most of the kids that came through had adults come with them, but they were younger. We seemed to get a lot of people that were about 12-18 years old. If you require kids to come through with adults then some might not have an adult with them so then you're loosing customers. I wouldn't require that unless the kids are actually causing trouble.

Scareside
06-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks, so at least I'm not the only one.

Also, I need to build some doors. Does anyone have any hints or suggestions on how to build them. Because I've only used basic panels up to here. Tutorials or plans would also help.

drfrightner
06-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Seems like you are putting a lot of work into it... I can't wait to see the finished product! Make your last scene something gory like body parts hanging down with an electric chainsaw that should do the trick.

Larry

Scareside
06-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Yeah, we try but are on a really tight budget. We have already started construction on basic structure (a.k.a new panels) but no painting or prop building yet. Also some electronic components are done that are going to be controlling the lighting and preshow.

What I'm actually most worried about is getting people to come and see it. I live in the back of a neighborhood. HERE. (http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=42+Pingry+Way,+Ayer,+MA+01432&sll=37.509726,-95.712891&sspn=47.334558,79.013672&ie=UTF8&ll=42.544497,-71.542282&spn=0.010877,0.01929&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A)

badlander2000
06-30-2009, 11:40 PM
It seems like you will have quite the show if all gos well but, keep a focus on actor organization which is what almost killed my show last year.

Scareside
07-09-2009, 08:08 PM
I know it's not much but the first panel (actually a door one) has been built. Only 2 doors to go, 1 frame, and 12 panels to go.

I also themed a small speaker so it doesn't have have to be hidden, plus it looks awesome anyways.

Darkmaster
07-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track. Everything is coming together well.:grin:

Scareside
09-18-2009, 04:53 PM
New pictures.

We've been hard at work and almost have the preshow room done and ready to program. Still some painting to do and a small desk to build.

homiehaunt
09-22-2009, 06:46 PM
The preshow room has some pretty awesome color schemes. What do you plan to do with that screen up there? I can't wait for the following pics!:D

Scareside
09-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks of the comment. There is actually going to be a preshow in this garage haunt and the monitor will be playing video in time with the lighting, effects, ect.

The Forsaken Crypt
10-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Thats nice! Good design

badlander2000
10-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Such a good paint job! I love how you are actually a geek who works toward an excellent goal, this is the key to your success! I think this preshow will put you into the fast track to top haunter status and the ever growing market popularity that comes with it!

Scareside
10-06-2009, 04:29 PM
These are some pictures I took from the top of my ladder in the haunt. Right now about 80% of the walls are up and 70% of them are painted. Also the black plastic in the background is NOT part of any walls, it is a covering for the windows so I can work on lighting during the day.

homiehaunt
10-06-2009, 08:17 PM
I really like the overhead pics that you have on here. It gave me a lot of inspiration for next year since im not able to do it this year. I totally can't wait to see the finished product. I bet its gonna be awesome!

Scareside
10-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Lighting in the preshow room in finishing up. Take a look.

HOH MANOR
10-09-2009, 10:35 PM
As a fellow home haunter i have to say this looks amazing. I'm liking the lighting and setup. Looks like a pro haunt! Good job and good luck this haunting season. Now i need to go work on my own haunt hahah. :D

Scareside
10-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Over the past two days we have been working our butts off. We painted two halls and a room. Check out the stone we painted, this took about 1 1/2 days so far and it's still not done. We guess this room will be around another 2-3 days before completion.

New story is here too: Fright Factory backstory

Doctor Harold Mason, one of the most astounding men in the field of medicine and surgical procedures. Dr. Mason began his work at Greenhill Medical center Massachusetts. For years he was on top of the medical world. Writing books and being featured on countless shows were just a few of the things he did in his time. As years passed by he began to fall down the charts and felt distant to those around him. He was thrust into poverty and lived from paycheck to paycheck in low income housing. Until one day in surgery he cut open a patient and never sewed him back up. The stress of all his work caught up with him and he began to do terrible things to his patients cutting them up and torturing them in the center. He was found out after an investigation into his goings on and thrown in prison on multiple accounts of murder. Twenty years later he was released on probation for good behavior, but after a year the police lost track of him and assumed he had killed himself. Harold purchased an old factory in the middle of nowhere an opened a private practice for the mentally insane named Harthwood Asylum. Town members from surrounding areas began to go missing when Harthwood opened, as Mason chose his patients. Toxic fumes sprayed from the stacks above his factory and sounds of torment could be heard emanating for the walls for miles around. Dr. Mason’s experiments still continue to this day, in his FRIGHT FACTORY.

theeverydayguy
10-14-2009, 01:57 PM
WOW ps think you could do a 3d model for me of my haunt ive tryed with google sketchup AND I FAILED :confused:

Scareside
10-15-2009, 12:53 PM
^^^ Check Pivate Messages ^^^

theeverydayguy
10-16-2009, 08:46 AM
here is my plans to our haunt

Scareside
10-19-2009, 07:42 PM
These are some update pictures from 10-18-09. We were thinking about putting an actor up top supported by a pallet and the wall structure, but we don't have the actors. We are in the process of cleaning the haunt and putting in props.

Scareside
10-28-2009, 03:04 PM
The first things I finished up today, cleaning the garage of all the boxes and crap from storage.

I also did a mad dash to finish the Preshow Video you see when you enter the first room. Take a look and tell me what you think.

NxKOFUl4Zng

Front Yard Fright
10-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Very cool video! What did you use to make it? I like it a lot!
:D.

Scareside
10-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Very cool video! What did you use to make it? I like it a lot!
:D.

Thank You. I used a combination of Adobe After Effects and Premiere to make it. Plus a little Photoshop to edit some of the text on images.

Scareside
11-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Halloween Night is over and now begins the process of packing up. We got around 150-175 people to come through. For a while we had a line going down to the road (not used to that). Anyways, it was fun and well worth the 2 months of work for 2 hours.

Oh yeah... and photos and video of the night of + a haunt tour will be posted during the following week.

Pumpkin King
12-31-2009, 09:46 AM
Just throwing this out there. Has anyone ever had problems with adults not coming in. It seem that I get hundreds of kids and no adults. Kind of reversed from what I thought was going to happen. Should I require at least one adult per group?

Yea, it happens to me too. I get a lot of adults hanging on the outside, but I wouldn't require that they go in. If they don't want to go in, it's their choice. Plus, what if you get groups of just teens. Teens don't tot with parents, as I'm sure you know. What I would do is put up a sign saying parents welcome or something like that, to get them to come through.

Scareside
02-05-2010, 08:19 PM
I actually had a problem with a group of teens that night. 1- they were all high as a kite, 2- they tried to break into the "employees only" areas like scare boxes ect., and 3- they actually broke one of my drop portraits. Lets just say my entire crew gave them the works and they were running out that exit and down the street as fast as possible. If it had really been any of the expensive stuff I would have had them pay for it, but luckily none of that kind of stuff was touched. Stoners in a haunt are bad news.