PDA

View Full Version : Amusement Park/Six Flags predictions for 2009

drfrightner
05-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Here is a really good article about what industry people are predicting for the amusement park industry business wise in this economy...

They claim business was down 2.5% last year and they predict another dip this year of 3.6% on top of that because of the economy. They talk about how a lot of parks have cut costs and more.

As for Six Flags they predict it will file for bankruptcy and its stock is now only worth like 50 cents. Its a very insightfull article you should read it...

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/printedition/2009/02/28/sixflags0228.html?cxntlid=inform_artr

Dr Spooktakular
05-13-2009, 01:45 PM
I tell you what, here in Dallas, Six Flags is always packed no matter when you go, during October, don't even think about going to Frightfest, it's wall to wall teens, even though their haunts SUCK!! compared to stand alone haunts/complexes. Here they run a deal where everyone gets in for $19.99, I have a season pass and once it gets past school being out, I refuse to go, it's miserable with teens. Last year I went to Six Flags New Jersey in the middle of July and rode pretty much every ride in the park for adults in about 3 hours, the place was empty. I will have to say they have become more Disneyesque with cartoon characters, parades, more family friendly, etc... They are a huge employer in the DFW area, it would be really bad news if their founding park was closed.

Nightgore
05-13-2009, 01:50 PM
It's only down for certain parks/chains... and only in certain parts of the country. I know Kings Island (outside Cincinnati) had a fantastic season last year, this year WILL be better!

They built and opened the parks biggest coaster, Diamondback, costing the park $22 million, yes, MILLION! The park has sold out every weekend it's been open so far with lines for the ride reaching 6-8 hour waits!!! I predict it'll pay for itself THIS SEASON!

I bet that the DESTINATION parks will hurt big time... might even close! These are parks like Disney, Universal, Seaworlds, etc. etc. Parks like Kings Island, Holidayworld, Dollywood, Knotts Berry Farm, etc. etc.... will do very well this year.

The destination parks RELY on out-of-state and overseas travel... they CANNOT survive on tourism from just their home states... while the other parks, can. That will be the death of those parks!

I hope sales start to do better and that the destination parks turn around, but for now... they MUST re-evaluate things in order to stay afloat!

As far as the Six Flags parks are concerned... some of the parks are doing very well! It's just the company as a whole is failing. They've made some very poor business decisions along with losing several MAJOR law suites over the years! -Tyler

graystone
05-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Tyler I do question a park where you wait in line for 1 ride for 6 to 8 hours. Hell the park would need to be open 24 hours for you to be able to get in other lines and ride other rides after standing in line for 8 HOURS! I dont see people waiting that long and hour to an hour and a half but no more. Shane and its I would need to see proof to believe that! Shane this time

BruiseMuse
05-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Tyler I do question a park where you wait in line for 1 ride for 6 to 8 hours. Hell the park would need to be open 24 hours for you to be able to get in other lines and ride other rides after standing in line for 8 HOURS! I dont see people waiting that long and hour to an hour and a half but no more. Shane and its I would need to see proof to believe that! Shane this time

While I haven't seen an 8 hour wait, I have seen over 6 hour waits at Cedar Point for their newest coasters. I've even stood in line for over 4 hours to ride the newest coaster on opening day.

phreakout
05-13-2009, 08:39 PM
I remember when they re-themed the Six Flags frightfest here in Dallas, but after 2 years of the same thing, I called it quits and havent been back in many years. i friend told me that he went during the 08 season, and said that there was cosntant fights/line jumping, and that there were security in the haunts at every turn. He said the haunts are very corroded and its ran by volunteers, so its not a strong scare.

Its so sad because I loved their scare zones during the night, but I havent gone back to Six Flags in so long :(

Jim Warfield
05-13-2009, 11:41 PM
..might have no money. The ones that do are spending it while it is still able to buy something before massive inflation takes it down several notches.
How can the fabrication of Billions of dollars from thin air not create inflation?
It won't be "Fun" when a can of pop is $5.00 but everyone is still making $7.00 an hr.
How about those $100.oo a carton N.Y. cigarettes? "HHHMMM Good!"
Of course inflation might not happen IF all those bailed out banks just sit on that money as wealthy pirates do.
I Curse Them!
"May the wood-weevils erupt from those paper dollars and eat scabbious holes in their butt cheeks!"