PDA

View Full Version : Top 13 Best Haunts 2009

drfrightner
05-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Who would you nominate for this list and how do you propose to determine this? Last year I did it off a vote from youtube videos?

Time is running out because I'm going to publish a magazine in July.

This list will be printed in that magazine!

If you are going to say it should be XYZ haunt okay... WHY????

I wanted to say that though doing these lists I've found or discovered many new amazing haunts I've never heard of such as Haunted Overlaod, Scarehouse, House of Tourment, 13th Gates... there are many great haunts out there yet to be discovered.

Keep in mind we had the list include or will include: Best Hayrides, Best Corn Mazes, Best Pumpkin Patch Event, Biggest Screamparks, Home Haunts, Theme Parks and Haunted Houses.

Larry

maliciousstudios
05-20-2009, 04:16 PM
I would nominate "Dead Acres" Pataskala Ohio

my reasons are

They are the most extreme

Nearly everything else pales by comparison.

It doesn't get much better than this!

LENGTHLY - good value !

ACTORS - Aggressively intense from start to finish !

SCARINESS - You'll fear for your life! Numerous distractions provided by a boat load of animated props are perfectly capitalized upon by the energetic cast. Very little in the form traditionally spooky music, but the soundtrack is designed to compliment the intense nature of the haunt, which it dramatically accomplishes.

PROPS - Jammed with an overwhelming number of animated scares!

SIMPLY THE BEST EXTREME HAUNT WE HAVE EVER HEARD OF !

UnDeRTaKer313
05-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Ghostly Manor in Sandusky Ohio!!!
Best pro haunt.

it flies under the radar, but ive been to soo many haunts and this one is just amazing every time.
They have to have close to a million dollar into that place.
Everything is so perfectly automated and timed, it is just the more intense experience i have ever encountered.

Nightgore
05-20-2009, 04:35 PM
I would just start a thread like this, for nominations... maybe even ask for email nominations. Based off that, I would compile a list of 26 haunts (because it will be cut in half for the 13) and then ask people to vote for the FINAL 13 haunts of the nominated 26... that's how I would do it. -Tyler

UnDeRTaKer313
05-20-2009, 04:44 PM
I think for the top 13 you should just include all the types of haunts.
Not just pro, that cuts out screamparks, home haunts, hayrides, ect.
It people think its the best, and it happens to fall into another category, then they cant get the top 13 status.
=( unfair.

Also thats how all other ranking systems work.

DO IT LARRY! hahaha
It would be the smart move, and it would get you more hits, cause it would be more competative.

Dr. Giggles
05-20-2009, 04:54 PM
HoT - House of Torment.

Several reasons.

They have very creative characters.
Very talented actors.
And very unique ways to get scares. The Ziplines and hiring people who know par kour and things like that.
They also have a control center to activate props to get the best scares.
Always been a fan of this haunt.

Plus i have a man crush on that Mr. Creep guy. Or whoever. :P

chuck weber
05-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Nuff said.... Probably the best hayride anywhere, extreme corn maze, incredible haunted house... DETAIL DETAIL DETAIL..... Philly area should be proud.. Randy, you rock !!!!! Can't wait to see this years' show. Chuck

Nightgore
05-20-2009, 05:08 PM
My vote...

Frightworld in Buffalo, New York.

Why...

-5 HUGE haunts at one, indoor location.
-Haunts are nothing but detail, put ALOT of single haunts to shame.
-Awesome and high-tech, 2-story waterfall
-Amazing and truely insane actors!
-Ron and Jay are nothing but professionals, best in this industry!!!

-Tyler

Hauntsberg
05-20-2009, 07:39 PM
I vote for Fright Kingdom and Haunted Overload...two really great haunts that know how to work together!

Fright Kingdom has hundreds of live Tarantulas and Huge snakes.

Haunted Overload has the largest outdoor props of any haunt I have ever seen.

Fright Kingdom is an all indoor multi attraction event that fills the brand new 50,000+ sq ft space and over 100 animatronics.

Haunted Overload has one of the best outdoor locations ever being located on a huge creepy sprawling farm.

Fright Kingdom has big name horror movie stars onsite every year, past guests include Tony Moran (Micheal Myers Halloween #1), Jason and Grant (TAPS ghost hunters from Sci Fi channel) Tony Todd (Candy Man) Daige Fearch (Young Micheal Myers from Rob Zombies Halloween) Kane Hodder (Jason in many Fri the 13th movies) Butch Patrich (Eddie Munster) George Wilber (Micheal Myers Halloween #4)
and many more.

Haunted Overload has the most creative props you will ever see...( I have seen REAL chicken feet hanging about for example)

Fright Kingdom and Haunted Overload...no filler just HARDCORE Haunted Attractions.

bobgoblin
05-20-2009, 09:35 PM
I think that Nightmare New England should be nominated. I've been going to alot of haunts throughout the years and none of them in New England compare to nightmare new england. Its kinda awesome how amazing they were in their first year. I can't wait to see whats up their sleeves for next year. I was just on their myspace also... which says that Nightmare New England and Spookyworld are joining forces. Which almost made me crap my pants in excitement! So nominate NIGHTMARE NEW ENGLAND!

James Lurgio
05-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Lot's of reasons!

Size - It's HUGE.
Actors - Devoted and talented
Lots of stuff to look at. Endless Eye candy.
Gorgeous scenery.
VERY SCARY!
Constant improvement.

Nuff said.

James Lurgio
Nightmare Productions
www.nightmaregallery.com

The Mad Hatter
05-21-2009, 12:56 AM
here's my opinion, you guys probably don't really care though. I believe the 13 best haunted house should not change as much as they have each year. They should stay relatively the same. Haunted houses do not seem to change in there quality enough to keep surpassing each other year to year. Maybe one or two change places, due to major renovations and or quality control. I also believe in the past the voting seems rather off, Larry should just pick them. Or a new way of voting should be initiated. Haunted house Association members should probably be the only ones able to vote. Since now they are taking more control over this industry they should be able to pick the haunted houses that represent them as a whole. For the person who said "home haunts and all should be on the list" I say no! We need to pick ones that can represent this haunt industry, we want quality Events!! Ones that will attract more business for us haunt owners. Having the few best represent us will bring more money even for the ones not representing even if its not that much. When we pick haunts that represent us, and if there on T.V or not, when people see them they get all enthused about haunted houses, when this happens they start checking them out even if it wasn't the one they heard of or saw on T.V. This works out just fine I believe.

YES Haunted House Association members should be the only ones able to vote, One Vote per haunted house I believe though, Two owners too bad, share it!
Maybe if you want to put a twist on this have only the home haunts voting for the best Pro Haunt, and the Best pro haunts voting for the best home haunts. This may keep competition going between everyone. I don't know, its not my choice. It is up to you guys.

-Frank Balzer

Jolly Pumpkin
05-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Well, I will compile my list of the best haunts some other time, but right now I think Nick Francis of Hells Gate should be given some credit for organizing a haunt at such a young age (only 16). If there is a Home Haunt Category than Hells Gate deserves to be part of it. They should also be nominated for budget haunt artwork.

Haunted Castle
05-21-2009, 07:37 AM
Since your looking for the Besthaunts seem a no brainer someone would want a domain web site to match, lol now to the point domain- www.besthaunts.com is for sell,, Fred McCoy 606-669-0312 Thanks

UnDeRTaKer313
05-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Thank you Noah for the nomination!!.
I just wanted to point out that if there was a category for Charity Haunt, or emerging Pro Haunt, id like to be a part of all of them lol, but im assuming we can only be nominated for 1 category.
So Hells Gate is going for the Best Home Haunt Category!!!!
As we put on one of the best Home Haunts ive personally ever found last year!!

The last note, is that last year we got disqualified because larry said we needed a website to win.... WE HAVE A WEBSITE THIS YEAR LARRY!!! lol
www.hellsgatehaunt.com

tkgeAYAy_qA&hl=en&fs=1
XM44qQWqK6s&feature
nribKMuspmE&feature

Darkangel
05-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Jolly Pumkin we can't put Home haunts on this list, putting even one really cool home haunt would be a slap in the face to EVERY pro haunt out there. Different catagories would be great, adding a home haunt up against House of Torment, no way.
Decorating your yard does not compare to doing it professionally, not even close. Also, Nick deserves credit yes, but there are many out there like him and every one who started their haunt from scratch deserves equal credit regardless of age. Not pointing this to you Nick, but some 16 year olds might have wealthy parents or relatives, and luck into an ideal piece of land or property for free or very cheap. Then you have the 40 year old not earning a whole lot and has to scratch his way to opening a pro haunt around work and taking care of his family, the latter sounds a hell of lot tougher to me than being 16 and having no real worries...Think about it.
All haunters should be commended and to be on the list it's about where your pro haunt is ranked against other pro haunts, the ones on there deserve recognition for working and becomming better than their peers. Also, is should be about who's haunt is the best not about who posts the most and updates everyone on these boards. That's why I like the House of Torment nomination again they do not post often and they are still getting recognized!

Darkangel

Jolly Pumpkin
05-21-2009, 08:29 AM
Did you read my post? I said that if there is a home haunt category then Hells Gate should be put on the list. I never said that there had to be a home haunt category, but if there is Hells Gate should be on it. There are a lot of incredible haunts that start off as home haunts and eventually transition into becoming professional, so I think there should be a category set aside for home haunts. Haunted Overload, one of the most talked about pro haunts in the world started off as a home haunt and look at them now.

If you think they aren't important then you are sadly mistaken. Now I'm not talking about yard displays with cheap fog machines and Halloween Inflatables. I'm talking about walk through attractions with props, lighting, themed rooms, actors, etc. These home haunts are comparible to many charity haunts.

Darkangel
05-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Yes, then there should be a separate catagory. Also, I've seen footage of videos from home haunts that were stunning, much better than anyone on these current boards videos. No one said they aren't important, just not on the level pf pros and this is coming from someone who did a home haunt for many years.

damon carson
05-21-2009, 10:13 AM
I say compile a list from what everyone suggest on here. Maybe post some utube video so we can actually see some of the ones nominated. Anyone else who wants to be nominated post a utube vid and go from there. If your pressed for time set a deadline and then have everyone vote by then. Again my vote goes to the Darkness & Nether World and Haunted Overload. Mainly for the attention to detail. How they better themselves year after year. And how they always seem to come up with something new and fresh every season.
Damon

UnDeRTaKer313
05-21-2009, 10:17 AM
i am against every single thing that you stated.
but im not going to argue with you. i simply dont have the time.
your made up concepts (opinions) are your own.

but as a note, if you think i have no other worries, you are sadley mistaken.
and also, not a single thing you said applies to me.
and if you have enough time to come on these forums to argue with me, you should put your time to better use.

Thank you Noah for nominating us, and yes there is a home haunt category, there always has been. lets hope larry keeps it.

Mr Nightmarez
05-21-2009, 10:28 AM
I believe the world needs to see haunts not listed in previous year's. Maybe not a BEST OF but
a Have You Seen: Magazine Article.

Over the year's the best do seem to stay close to the same ones... so why not start an article called - Haunts to See in 2010! (Sure you can do your best of... but as Larry stated - there are some sleepers out there or haunts that don't get 50,000 people - that are doing some cool stuff.)

Sadly my best of list would be the normal big ones that always do an amazing job:
EREBUS
NETHERWORLD
BATES MOTEL
And Shane did not pay me to say this:
Graystone

Maybe Larry needs to look into getting reporters from each area (Southeast, Northeast, Midwest, Central, South Central, Southwest, Northwest that travel the areas and visit all the haunts and do articles on each and every one and over the next 7 - 12 years we expose them all to the world through Hauntworld Magazine? 2 Articles per year covering 10+ haunts each article. Random yet effeciently looking at each and giving everyone a chance for their 5 minutes of fame. I would even volunteer to cover my area.

Just a thought - as the BEST is such an overused and under determined statement. Everyone has something GOOD and we are the BEST at some area... but to rate and rank is a bunch of B/S and who truly rates haunts?
Tangent: There are 3 #1 rated haunted houses in Chattanooga alone... Who the hell rated them? And I'm sure that everyone has that same marketing ploy and battle in each area...

So forget who is #1 - let's write an article about Haunts in each region and give a review of the people, the teams and the overall perspective from each haunt owner. You are all #1 in my book - be it Home Haunter, Actor, or Pro Haunt.... So let's see what makes you tick and learn from each other - instead of tooting our #1 horn - let's read about your #1 Haunt and the people behind it.

Haunts of Richmond
05-21-2009, 11:36 AM
I believe the world needs to see haunts not listed in previous year's. Maybe not a BEST OF but
a Have You Seen: Magazine Article.

Maybe Larry needs to look into getting reporters from each area (Southeast, Northeast, Midwest, Central, South Central, Southwest, Northwest that travel the areas and visit all the haunts and do articles on each and every one and over the next 7 - 12 years we expose them all to the world through Hauntworld Magazine?

Expanding on your "Have you Seen" suggestion, what about helping promote haunts in states that traditionally aren't huge haunt areas... like say... Virginia?! For whatever reason our state has a difficult time attracting casual haunt fans... and our diehard haunt fans travel to other states. We're, of course, trying to change this.

For example, this year our haunt in Richmond, Blood Lake Haunted House, has been in discussions with Darkwood Manor Haunted House in Luray and Wicked Woods Haunted Forest in Spotsylvania to partner with either a "haunt package" or at the very least have a flyer with all our logos and information that we'll pass around.

We even started a "Central Virginia Haunted House Enthusiasts" group on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=50103712122). Anything to try and grow haunting in Virginia!

- Ryan

Mr Nightmarez
05-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Exactly!

I would love to know more about these haunts as (Ben, Ed, Larry - forgive me) We all know about Netherworld, Erebus, and The Darkness... So get some more flavor and exposure to more haunts - even if the articles are smaller. HAUNTWORLD should include all haunts - not just the ones with the most money....

Tater
05-21-2009, 02:56 PM
ok lets make this a quick thing

Dent SchoolHouse-Some of the best detailing and things ive ever seen in a haunted house

100 Acre Manor-Its one Long haunted house from start to finsh the scares never stop!

Mystery Manor-First its been there for 25 years! Second, its not your typical Haunted house they train there actors in theater and illusions, so you never know whats going to be around that next corner....and they have a slide...Come on that just screams FUN

Darkangel
05-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Nick,

Trust me, the mere fact that you can even do a haunt at your home shows you have no real worries!!! I've seen your pics, you seem to come from a nice home, you have good friends and supportive family you're doing just fine. Most teenage boys think they have worries, like getting that term paper in on time, worried if that girl you like will go to the prom with you, and negotiating with your parents to drive you to the store as soon as that next hot video game comes out...:D

Trust me, when you get to college you'll look back and realize you had no worries at 16! Enjoy your youth and the lack of responsibility now because all too soon it comes time for student loans, car payment, mortgage or rent, food and utilities and taking care of not only yourself but a family, that's real stress as many of us can attest.

However, I do commend you on your dedication to your haunt and the time you've put into to it you have a great future in this industry if you can stay the course!

Tater, those are 3 great choices I would like to see more of those haunts as well!

Darkangel

UnDeRTaKer313
05-21-2009, 05:21 PM
-thanks for the advice.
-but let me trust you, ive got much more on my plate than you think.
-i mean for gods sake, im running the biggest halloween event in our city!

i dont believe you own a haunt do you....

if you honestly want to talk.... private message me or email me at nick@hellsgatehaunt.com
this is not what this thread is about.

Darkangel
05-21-2009, 05:59 PM
I've owned several, worked at many. Check your pm...

Jim Warfield
05-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Recently a non-haunter came on this site and asked if there were any "Year-round" haunted houses since he was going to be traveling across the country.
He said several responded to his question and said he had to see The Ravens Grin Inn.
I asked him if those responding were named "Jim Warfield" "Mr. Tuxedo", "J. Warfield"?
hahahahaha!
He was that writer for "Geek " Magazine.
My question to him was :"How many times can your magazine have a centerfold of a guy biting the head off of a chicken?"
He said the article might not be published for a few months.
I told him it might be a bigger help to my business if it was later in the summer..or fall?

graystone
05-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the mention. Its just nice to have someone mention Graystone. And while I am at it I would like to bring up a name and thats Paul and the Guys at Atrox! Shane and its I am honored! Shane this time!

OdetteDespairr
05-22-2009, 07:53 AM
100 Acres Manor was amazing to walk thru and to work. They have some dedicated kids that staff that place and it runs beautifully. If anyone gets the chance to work there make sure they take you out on the balcony. You can see everyone in the giant maze from there running about little little lab rats.

Jackie
Rotting Flesh Radio Haunt Hottie

elowther
05-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks again to all who mentioned our haunt and put us up for nomination this year. We consider it an extreme honor to have been voted on to the list last year. We are working on some exciting props and scenes for this season I think you will enjoy. Today we are working on giant reaper heads so I will post my list of favorites soon.

I just wanted to get this video posted so the forum readers can get a taste of what last season was like. This video was not meant to be for promotional purposes, we made it fast for our wrap party but it shows our actors in action as well as some of the sets and most importantly SCARES! A much shorter and more polished trailer will be ready for this season with even better night footage scares.

It's too long for You Tube and much better quality so you just have to go to this link and type in the password.

http://www.vimeo.com/2362159

password: partyvideo

Enjoy,

Eric

elowther
05-22-2009, 11:45 PM
Here is a video from our friends over at Fright Kingdom. I have personally seen their extreme dedication and hard work over the last 4 years. Now that they have secured a 50,000 sq foot warehouse to build 5 spectacular indoor attractions it really forces me to improve my own attraction just to keep up with them! We are a firm believer in cross promotion and I think the patrons benefit by having multiple quality haunts in one state to visit. By working together we hope to raise the bar in people's minds about attending different kinds of haunted attractions.

Since we share the same video company I have access to Tim's video and have watched it many times. I think it rocks and I know the forum readers will like this one. Tim Bickford of Creative Cinema Video Productions did a great job with it but Fright Kingdom makes it easy with all the outstanding content.

So far we have not seen Fright Kingdom on the top 13 list but I believe the time is now to vote them in. The video speaks for itself but does not do the haunt justice. It must be seen in person to fully appreciate. Their actors are top notch as well as the outstanding sets and scare techniques. This year will be no exception for them. I have seen it in the build stage and they are cranking on the new attractions.

Let's hear it for FRIGHT KINGDOM for a spot on the top 13! This link is better quality than You Tube, just type in the password to view.

http://www.vimeo.com/2707904

password: timbickford

Enjoy the video and let them know what you think.

Eric

drfrightner
05-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Nice video. Kinda dark in spots hard to see everything but what I take from it is you want to say this attraction is intense! Nice work! Larry

drfrightner
05-24-2009, 12:29 AM
You guys keep talking about Dent School House or this 100 something whatever... POST YOU TUBE VIDEOS!!!!!!!!!! LET ME SEE!!!

If you think someone should be added POST SOME VIDEOS LET ME LOOK INSIDE THE DOOR!

As for the regional best haunts I think that is a good idea. I like it!

Larry

maliciousstudios
05-24-2009, 08:41 AM
I dont know if anyone nominated them but I would like to nominate

DarkSyde Acres - Michigan

They have a great FX team, and kick-ass ( Iconic characters !! )

Here is a example.... way to go guys !

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/55/l_d7f0b9e01ff54906ae6faa2911f1cba9.jpg

Nightgore
05-24-2009, 10:15 AM
FRIGHTWORLD:

0UypMCRlMg4

Probably one of the best, if not THE best, haunts in the country! -Tyler

OdetteDespairr
05-26-2009, 12:15 PM
I didnt get any video myself last year, but this year 100 Acres Manor is on the pre tour at MHC so you guys will be able to experience it yourself. I did find one video on line its not to good but it shows a bit.

all the best

Jackie
Rotting Flesh Radio Haunt Hottie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Y89gqUNys

this is their myspace

http://www.myspace.com/hundredacresmanor

Damon_M
05-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Our production videos arent quite ready yet. However here is a trailer from a horror movie shot at Hundred Acres Manor. Just a sampling so you can see the size of the attraction and some of the scenery. Keep in mind, ALOT has changed since this video was shot. The video Jackie posted shows some of the updates we have made.

jIUenFCn1bg

Many thanks to everyone who nominated us!

st.john13
05-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Haunted Prison Experience
Ohio State Reformatory , Mansfield Ohio

Not only is this place awesome(a real prison and one of only 5 castle structures in the U.S.) but is actually haunted!
Considered one of the worlds most haunted places( featured on many haunted documantary's and Ghost Hunters), location for many motion pictures(including Shawshank Redemption) and on Travel Channels list of 100 places to visit before you die.
During the haunt season this place has no comparison.
full of annimations, props and f/x, close to 45 minuets long, numerous regional awards(including haunt of the year) draws from numerous major markets, huge attendence and just out and out scary and terrifying!

chuck weber
05-30-2009, 06:26 PM
please post more top haunts.... I need some places to visit this october !!!! thanks!!!!!! what about "THE EDGE OF HELL" ? anyone been there ???? please advise !!!!!

MDKing
05-31-2009, 07:23 AM
Only 5 castle structures in the US? I wonder what they are basing that on? Within a 2 hour drive or less from here I can see 4 castle structures, Cloisters Castle, Maryvale Castle, Eastern State Penn, and The Castle Smithsonian building in DC.

Allan

Haunted Illinois
05-31-2009, 09:14 AM
Well, there is a Medieval Times near me, in the suburbs of Chicago...

http://www.medievaltimes.com/findcastles/schaumburg/imgs/castle_schaumburg.jpg

:p

MDKing
05-31-2009, 09:19 AM
LOL, yeah of course there are Medieval Times too! :)

Allan

BruiseMuse
05-31-2009, 09:44 AM
The Reformatory is the largest castle-like structure in Ohio, and in the top 5 largest in the USA. Comprising 250,000+ square feet, and combining three architectural styles: Victorian Gothic, Richardsonian Romanesque, and Queen Anne.

That's from the website: http://www.mrps.org/

So it's not one of five total, it's one of the five largest.

It's also the venue for my wedding :)

mindtumor
05-31-2009, 09:55 AM
Man I get sick of the top 13 haunts as voted on by other haunt owners each year. If we are going to keep doing these superlatives each year lets figure out a way to get the patrons opinion not ours. Half the time we vote on these top attractions by just looking at video and pictures instead of actually visiting them. In my opinion the top 13 issue is always the worst one for the year.

graystone
05-31-2009, 11:53 AM
I think I got a good haunt. I don't know what the best is and its times like this I wonder why I never have any video footage taped. Either way I know most of the members here all have awsome haunts! Shane and its videoless! Shane this time!

Mr Nightmarez
06-03-2009, 05:52 AM
Man I get sick of the top 13 haunts as voted on by other haunt owners each year. If we are going to keep doing these superlatives each year lets figure out a way to get the patrons opinion not ours. Half the time we vote on these top attractions by just looking at video and pictures instead of actually visiting them. In my opinion the top 13 issue is always the worst one for the year.

Amen....

That's why I suggested Larry let 6 - 10 roving reporters hit each region and start doing more than just the "BIG BOYS w/ BIG TOYS" haunts. There are a lot of great haunts across the country and I'm tired of hearing about the same ones over and over and over and over.... The Magazine is called HAUNT WORLD not BEST of HAUNT WORLD.

But again.... My opinion!

mindtumor
06-03-2009, 07:26 AM

It's not because the same haunts get picked all the time that I don't like the top 13, I just think it is a stupid concept. We all look at videos and pictures and then vote? And this has nothing to do with me because I don't belong in the top 200. It just seems ridiculous that we hold a "contest" and vote on haunts that 99.9% have not nor will ever see. Then on top of it we start putting it on our advertising, "Voted Hauntworld's top 13 as voted on by people that have not nor will they ever see it, but they must know" Plus almost all of us are haunted house owners not patrons.

Jolly Pumpkin
06-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Well the fair thing to do would just have everyone vote on haunts they've been to before. If you haven't been to the haunt then don't vote for it and that includes Netherworld, Spookywoods, The Darkness etc. Even if they are top rated you can't vote for them unless you've been to them within the last year. Honestly that would be the only fair way to vote for haunts. You can't beat first hand experience, but I guess the closest thing to that would be videos which few haunts seem to be able to produce. So unless you've been to the haunt, don't even mention it.

mindtumor
06-03-2009, 09:59 AM
I think one thing we could do, and I believe this has been mentioned by others already, is keep things the way they are and instead of calling them top 13 haunts call them 13 must see or 13 featured haunts. Then make sure no haunt is on there twice. Calling them the top 13 haunts is just false because the reality is if they really WERE the top 13 haunts the list wouldn't hardly ever change. Let's just not be silly and just call it what it actually is.

graystone
06-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Its a hard call! I wish there was a way for a group to go out and visit these haunts. I know Bens been to like a ton of them and maybe as a owner he could help say what he thinks should and should not go on. Then again its gonna put him in a bad spot as a haunt owner.

Guys I just really don't know. I don't reply much on threads where its the top this and that because again... HONESTLY I CANT SAY WHAT IS AND WHATS NOT! Shane and its good luck on this process it sounds like a headache! Shane this time.

P.S. Guys do any of you remember the movie A League Of Their Own with Tom Hanks and Gina Davis? ( This is one of my top 5 all time favorite movies) Anyway remember the part of the kid that keeps saying " Your gonna loose. Your gonna loose" Lmao this keeps ringing through my head with this thread and for the life of me I don't know why!!!!

mindtumor
06-03-2009, 11:14 AM
I say we just stop doing it. There isn't a realistic system we could use so therefore we should discontinue it. Do 13 featured haunts or something.

elowther
06-03-2009, 11:59 AM
The bottom line is Larry is doing this list so that all haunts benefit from the PR, weather they are on the list or not. When the list goes out to the media, the stories it generates get people in the mood to visit haunts. There is no way in hell to make everyone happy or an objective way to pick the best haunts because everyone's opinion is so different.

To my knowledge, last year was the first year he let people vote. Before that he would just pick the haunts he felt would make a good list. For example I have never been to the Netherworld but I know it is one of the best around because of all the information, photos and videos about it.

There are some incredible haunts out there and that doesn't change weather they are on the list or not.
I admit being on the list is great for marketing and exposure, I have seen this first hand. But does that
make my haunt any better or worse if we are on the list one year and off the next? I strive to improve each
year and document as much of the process with photos and videos as possible so when times like this arise
we have something to show the industry and the public what we are all about.

Some fine haunts have been nominated so far this year and in the past. I think it's great the list will be expanded to include the Best Hayrides, Best Corn Mazes, Best Pumpkin Patch Event, Biggest Screamparks, Home Haunts, Theme Parks and Haunted Houses. This will bring more exposure our way during October and we need all the help we can get with the economic downturn.

Good luck to whoever makes it and thanks to Larry for doing it to further promote the industry.

Eric

mindtumor
06-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Just be honest and call it what it is. We don't have to make stuff up to get exposure. This has nothing to do with Larry or what he is doing for the industry. Let's get that out there right now because it isn't a critism of him or anything he has done. It is just a discussion on either changing a procedure or what something is called. And besides we aren't talking about anyone handing a list of top haunts to the media to get us exposure, we are talking about what kind of article in the next Hauntworld magazine we want to read. So to be clear the debate is "Do we want to keep voting on these top 13 lists every year with the possibility of seeing the most of the same haunts each year or do we want 13 new must see haunts in the magazine each year".

UnDeRTaKer313
06-03-2009, 01:01 PM
i defnetly dont agree

what is more important reading an article or giving haunts exposure.
its crazy how many different media and news post this on there site and such.
if your haunt is on this list, try google searching your haunt before the press release and after. its remarkable.
and just to get people talking about haunted houses in july and stuff helps everyone.
so this is much larger than just what article were going to read.

elowther
06-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Even if the procedure was changed to exactly how you want it there will always be someone to complain. If you read the Hauntworld with the list last year there were no articles on any of the haunts, just a list.

If I were to guess, the issue in July will feature Graystone Manor and Atrox, which I am looking forward to. I doubt there will be 13 other articles no matter who makes the list. It's Larry's magazine and he can come up with any procedure, list or whatever he feels like.

Some will love it and others will complain, that's just the way it is. There is no stopping anyone from coming up with another best haunts, best new haunts or whatever. AOL has one and a bunch of others all using different criteria and they are all different but they are still good for exposure about haunted attractions.

I'm sure you get the same comments on your attraction. I have had people tell me it's the best thing they have ever seen and some that complained it was too expensive, not long enough etc. I think that is why Larry has been successful because he doesn't try to please everyone because that is impossible.

Eric

mindtumor
06-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Again you are arguing about something different. You keep coming back to your argument on how people will complain about whatever procedure is used to determine whatever. I am not talking about that because there is no procedure and that is a different arguement (however, I do find the top 13 silly). I am talking about what kind of an article I would like to see being a subscriber to the magazine. You keep saying Larry can do whatever he wants yet he is also always asking what article would you like to see in the next issue. If he doesn't want suggestions on articles then he can stop asking for them.

I suggest discontinue the top 13 change it to a featured 13 and always feature new haunts with a quick little blurb on what may make them must see or unique, we don't have to have full articles.

You can go make any list you want for media exposure for all I care.

Dr Spooktakular
06-03-2009, 02:29 PM
How about adding a best trailer haunt category, I know there are many of us out here who do haunts in trailers or mobile homes, we're professional and many do tens of thousands in attendance, but I feel we can't be categorized against a haunt that's in a regular standing structure (building), if there's a list for home haunts and amusement parks, us trailer haunts should be represented too!

drfrightner
06-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Last year I thought it was fair... people posted those videos and people voted. Ask Patti she will tell you... we had over 500 or more people vote.

Now I'm setting up a system on Hantworld so I can create these ballot ONLINE! Right now however I'm trying to figure exactly the best way to do this and will post something on it soon.

The Hauntworld list has gained a lot of attention for the industry, and that is a great thing. I'm thinking about putting together a panel who will vote on the list based on the owers sending in WALK THRU TOURS WITH A CAMERA. I already have some people who did this and I'm impressed.

Here is the bottom line you can say whatever you want but due to having these lists I've no you've no we all have discovered some amazing haunts such as: 13th Gate, House of Tournment, Haunted Overload just to name a few. I had never heard of any of those haunts and well if I go back and look at the lists I'd probably be able to tell you a story about each one, about how I never heard of this one or that one until the owner exposed themsevles to our industry.

Without those lists House of Tournament may never have posted on these forums all the photos on their attraction same with many others. Look at all the videos we got to watch and see last year! All good things to help us learn and grow.

I have been distracted lately with other things... give me a few days.

Larry

DarkTikiEntertainment
06-03-2009, 05:34 PM
I cast another vote for Haunted Overload... you already know why (giant props, awesome setting, old-school halloween themes, etc).

A haunt that sometimes gets overlooked is "The Realm of Darkness" in Pontiac, Michigan. Given its very close proximity to "Erebus" (a world-class haunted house in its own right), "The Realm of Darkness" sometimes gets passed over for "Best Of" lists... I guess people don't want to put two haunts from the same city on the same "best of" list, regardless of how great the haunt is?

I've been to both haunts over the years, and some years "Erebus" is better. Other years, it's "The Realm of Darkness". It's a back-and-forth battle, year by year. Due to an off-season flood in the attraction, "The Realm of Darkness" was forced to renovate and create new scenery, props, etc. for sections of the haunt. The results are stunning.

I cast a vote for "The Realm of Darkness". Their level of set detail is astonishing. Their theme is original... An interactive midevil battle against an undead wizard and his legions, in which you can actually win twice your money back?!? What's not to like??

There is ONE "The Realm of Darkness" video floating around the net, but unfortunately it was shot BEFORE last year's renovations:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NAZf-iffNcc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NAZf-iffNcc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Haunts of Richmond
06-03-2009, 08:46 PM
I cast a vote for "The Realm of Darkness". Their level of set detail is astonishing. Their theme is original... An interactive midevil battle against an undead wizard and his legions, in which you can actually win twice your money back?!? What's not to like??

Wow, there are actually haunts that give people their money back if they "solve" the mystery or whatever? Crazy! And pretty cool!

- Ryan

graystone
06-03-2009, 09:14 PM
That Eric and Haunted Overload deserves a place on this list. Also again I think Paul and the Atrox guys also deserves a place on the list. Shane and its just an opinion. Shane this time.

elowther
06-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks Shane and Dark Tiki! There are a lot of haunts out there that should be on the list. I'm looking forward to Ben's articles on Shane's and Paul's haunts in the next issue. I can honestly say that all the years Larry has done the list all of the haunts chosen deserved a spot on there and I enjoyed reading about them and seeing their videos. Sometimes it all comes down to who sends in footage or who votes for who on a certain day. There are mind blowing haunts out there that just didn't post videos or photos so they didn't make the list. I'm looking forward to seeing more from the Dent School House since they have been mentioned a bunch this year. Fright Kingdom, I have seen first hand so I would like to see them make it as well. No matter what happens, the build up to the list and the exposure it brings the haunt industry is always exciting.

Some of my personal favorites include:

Dead Acres
Netherworld
The Darkness now that I have seen it in person
House of Torment
Headless Horseman Hayrides
Bates Motel
13th Gate
The Scarehouse

This is just a partial list mostly based off what I have seen in the magazine, photos and video.

On another note. Those of you that have signed up for the HHA, come on over to the HHA forum and register for the help desk. I have put up a post you can only see there that I will update each week. It will include step by step instructions detailing a new scene at Haunted Overload called the Soul Takers Burial Ground. You will see the trial and error process as it takes shape and how the whole scene plays out with lighting and scare placement. I will answer any and all questions along the way. Here is a small sample.

Enjoy,

Eric

Here is how the Franken Bukey skull looks out of the box, boring as hell and one piece of plastic, not scary at all but big. This will be a perfect time saving base to build a good looking scary head for one of the 8 reaper figures to populate the new scene.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l37/ericlowther/HHA%20post/3.jpg
We need to cut the jaw off this skull to make it more realistic with an open mouth. Always wear earplugs and eye protection when using a dremil to do this. I started with a small diamond tip but soon switched to a better, thicker cutting tip to do the job.

Many stages skipped. Check out the help desk to see the rest.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l37/ericlowther/HHA%20post/12.jpg
Here is a closer look. This skull is only 50% done at this point. The teeth need to be detailed and gaps made with the Dremel. Texture applied and wood stain with bracket made to mount to the huge body.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l37/ericlowther/HHA%20post/13.jpg
Doing 8 of these will be very time consuming so I will update this thread when I have more faces to show. In the meantime you can ask questions up to this point.

Stay tuned, with any luck we will end up with something that looks like this.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l37/ericlowther/DSC_5388.jpg

Jolly Pumpkin
06-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Larry all you would have to do is get a small website created specifically for the top haunts and where people could vote and nominate haunts. You could also have the history of previous top haunt winners. I think that would work best and you would also get more people voting who usually don't visit the forums. Just have it set up in a way where people can only vote once or a maximum of 5 times. It could definately work.

chuck weber
06-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Let's all just go to "The Cavern of Terror" in Kansas City and have a good time. It's the only haunt in a real cave. (plus, it's under new ownership!) Not to be Missed !!!

UnDeRTaKer313
06-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Noah that idea is excellent.
Larry i say you do that.

Mr Nightmarez
06-05-2009, 07:10 AM
Let's all just go to "The Cavern of Terror" in Kansas City and have a good time. It's the only haunt in a real cave. (plus, it's under new ownership!) Not to be Missed !!!

You are so wrong... We are in a cave 260 feet below ground. So they are NOT the only haunt that is underground or in a cave...
;)

www.HauntedCavern.com

Jolly Pumpkin
06-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Yeah, there are quite a few haunted caves and one of the best is Haunted Cave at Lewisburg. You can visit their website at www.hauntedcaveatlewisburg.com (http://www.hauntedcaveatlewisburg.com).

chuck weber
06-07-2009, 02:09 PM
I'll have to check it out !!!! (all of the other cave-type haunts !!!!!!)

UnDeRTaKer313
06-07-2009, 02:49 PM
13 most unique haunts
or
13 most revolutionary haunts

just have us make a list of haunts that are unique and why
and then we will vote down to 13.
easy as that.

because i dont believe best is a good term unless its someones personal 13 favorite they have been too.

Haunts of Richmond
06-07-2009, 03:16 PM
13 most unique haunts
or
13 most revolutionary haunts

Even those are pretty subjective. There really is no perfect system for voting on the "best" haunts. As long as HauntWorld continues to recognize different haunts (in different areas) throughout the year, I guess I'm ok with the system.

Why can't HHA and IAHA members write in votes? Maybe receive a ballot in the mail and we send it in?

- Ryan

HauntedMemphis
06-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Just be honest and call it what it is. We don't have to make stuff up to get exposure. This has nothing to do with Larry or what he is doing for the industry. Let's get that out there right now because it isn't a critism of him or anything he has done. It is just a discussion on either changing a procedure or what something is called. And besides we aren't talking about anyone handing a list of top haunts to the media to get us exposure, we are talking about what kind of article in the next Hauntworld magazine we want to read. So to be clear the debate is "Do we want to keep voting on these top 13 lists every year with the possibility of seeing the most of the same haunts each year or do we want 13 new must see haunts in the magazine each year".

The haunts end up not just being HauntWorld's top 13 haunts, whether it's right or wrong, they also get publicised as the HHA's top 13 haunts, which makes it sound more important to the mainstream media. USA Today picked it up last year for example.

AOL also does a top 13 haunts list, which seems to get more publicised in the mainstream, but as HHA gets more estabilished, this may become the more influential list.

With that said, I agree with you 100% that this will never really give you a top 13, and we'd be better off with 13 featured haunts that are new this year. However, "top 13" is more catchy and probably gets more publicity than the list would get otherwise.

UnDeRTaKer313
06-07-2009, 03:27 PM
well whatever larry decides, hes running out of time

Killer Katie
06-11-2009, 08:32 PM
I would vote for Wisconsin Feargrounds
Why?
They do some amazing set work inside of a fairgrounds. Knowing what that takes, I think they do an amazing job!! A lot of detail, great lighting, just enough pnematics to keep it exciting.
Their actors are the best actors I have seen, in the dialogue, costuming and intensity area.
They are extremely well organized, from what I saw - the staff are on top of everything.
Finally - they gave us ONE HELL of a show during Hauntcon!

Hats off to Timmer and his crew!!!

Brandon_K
06-12-2009, 09:18 PM
What about doing a top 3 in 10 categories or something of the like? IE, most scenic, most intense, best value, most creative? Everyone has their spot, we can't compete with places like Universal or Kennywood as far as attendance goes, we're not the most scenic, but we're definitely one of the most intense in the Pittsburgh area.

On the HauntCon tour, I only saw one or two haunts that I personally didn't think were very good. If I pick three on the tour alone, Terror on the Fox, Feargrounds and Realm of Terror, they're the best in their own way. Feargrounds was good overall, Terror on the Fox was the best as far as audio / pre-show / scenery goes and Realm of Terror was easily the highest startle scare haunt on the tour, which is what I love in a haunt.

I know it goes against everything you've done in the past with the Top 13, but they all have their pro's and con's.