PDA

View Full Version : Drag Me To Hell

Jolly Pumpkin
05-27-2009, 02:29 PM
I saw an advanced screening of Drag Me To Hell Tuesday and I left the theater blown away. The lead character who is an old gypsy woman is extremely creepy and vicious. There are many gross out scares that are sure to freak you out. People in the theater were going crazy and rightfully so. Drag Me To Hell is an extremely well made horror movie that is sure to go down as a cult classic. So if the trailer for the movie is throwing you off as to whether to go or not, don't let it. This is the horror movie of the year for sure and I have no clue how it didn't get an R rating.

Haunts of Richmond
05-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Awesome!

We're doing some cross promotion with a new local Regal theater and get to promote Blood Lake on the opening night of Drag Me To Hell this Friday night. We're dressing some actors up like zombies, handing out coupons, and doing giveaways. Of course we're going to stick around for the late showing, too!

damon carson
05-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Its good to see Sam Raimi getting back to his roots. Straight up, kick ass horror! Im looking forward to seeing this one. Im glad you gave it a thumbs up. The trailer is kinda so and so. But hopefully it is as good as you say. I read where they are discussing an Evil Dead IV. They said it would be like a retelling of the original story with Raimi directing, Rob Tappert aboard and then of course Bruce Campbell. They dont want anybody else involved to screw it up. They dont want a new director, new 90210 type actors ruining what they created. So Im looking forward to that when it is finally done as well. Im going to take my boys to see UP as well. They love 3D glasses. LOL! They dont even have to have a movie to watch to enjoy them.
Damon

eyegore123456789
05-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Yeah the living Dead Mafia www.livingdeadmafia.com In conjunction with Coram Movieland Cineplex will be presenting Drag me to hell. It's great. We have a deal where we come in whenever a New horror movie comes out with our gaggle of ghouls and terrify the patrons. Great Publicity! and a free movie for us!!!!!!!!

phreakout
05-29-2009, 12:30 AM
A relative works at a local theatre, so I got to see this movie.

and it Scared the living shit out of me. badly.

that was absolutly amazing, and im sooo happy to see sam going back to his best. I cant even imagine how many people will freak when they see this movie :)

xxxdirk
05-29-2009, 09:16 AM
I am going with 10 of my crew in full costumes tonight to the 10:10 showing!

OdetteDespairr
05-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Im hoping to go see it tonight, unfortunatly all by my lonesome lol. Noone here will dress up and go out to movies ever :(

Jackie

p.s. see everyone at MHC

tchaunt
05-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Crap! I forgot that the movie was showing tonight! I need to drag a group of my friends together!

Nightgore
05-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Just saw... and it SUCKED!!!!! The story is... well, is just uh! The acting... SUCKS... the script... SUCKS... ugh... ok, ok..

The AWESOME part of the movie is the creature design, make-up effects were AWESOME!!! There was just ONE startle that got me, and it's in the first 10 minutes of the movie!

The scares were predictable, anti-climatic and was just one startle after another, the crowd actually just started LAUGHING.. LIKE IT WAS A FREAKIN' COMEDY!!!

Overall, it BLEW harder than Paris Hilton!!! Don't go see it! Unless of course your looking for some cool creature designs and make-ups!

Total waste of money! -Tyler

Jonathan
05-29-2009, 01:57 PM
I enjoyed it.

Best key elelments not discussed so far.

I liked no gore, crude language, and it relied on your mind, shadows, lighting and story to make it happen. Long live Hitchcock style!

SomeThingInTheIce
05-29-2009, 02:11 PM
If you liked Evil Dead then your going to love this movie, it got me a few times. There is a rumor that this could become a haunted house at Halloween Horror Nights this year or next, I hope so because I loved this movie.

Nightgore
05-29-2009, 02:25 PM
To each their own I guess... but Hitchcock movies suck too! Sam Raimi should just stick to Comic Book/Super Hero movies, he does good with those! -Tyler

MMManiac
05-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Tyler my man your right to each their own, but how can you honestly say Hitchcock movies sucked too? I'm curious what is a "good" horror movie to you? Psycho, The birds, ect... where some of the BEST horror movies made! Granted now a days they might not scare people as much as they did in the 60's when they were released but Hitchcock made horror movies what they are today...

Just my two cents worth, but I'll bet more then one person agree's with me. :)

Nightgore
05-29-2009, 03:49 PM
My list of favorite horror films:

Nightmare on Elm Street
The Omen (remake)
The Excorcist
Puppet Master
Jaws
The Amityville Horror (remake)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (both newer remakes)
Leprechaun (first one only)
Kujo
Pet Cemetary
Children of the Corn
The Haunting
Dead Silence
Bram Stoker's Dracula
13 Ghosts
Halloween (new remake)
The Unborn
The Grudge
The Ring
The Excorcism of Emily Rose
Saw (First one only)
The Howling
Childs Play (first 3)
Silence of the Lambs
Red Dragon
Poltergeist
The Frighteners (Horror/Action Adventure, still counts)

... that's all I can think of at the moment! -Tyler

Jolly Pumpkin
05-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Tyler, here is a list of some of my favorite horror movies

Suspiria
The Beyond
The Gates of Hell
Dawn of The Dead
House on Haunted Hill
Sleepaway Camp
The Amityville Horror
Freddy vs Jason
The Descent
Nosferatu
Dracula
Frankenstein
The Wolf Man
The Gate
Re-Animator
An American Werewolf in London
Poltergiest
Zombie
Demon Knight
Dead Alive
Cemetery Man
Candyman
American Psycho
A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3
Stephen Kings It
The Lost Boys
Salems Lot
Halloween
The Exorcist
Cannibal Holocaust
Deep Red
Tenebre
Maniac
High Tension
I Piss on Your Grave
Friday The 13th: The New Blood
The Night Flyer
Evil Dead 1 and 2
Army of Darkness
Black Christmas
Monster Squad (more comedy than horror)
Ginger Snaps
Motel Hell
Near Dark
Demons

These are just some of my favorites. I'm getting tired typing. None of the movies listed are remakes.

Nightgore
05-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Meh... hand full of those are "good". Hahaha.. -Tyler

Jolly Pumpkin
05-29-2009, 06:19 PM
People were laughing in the theater I was at too because the gore scenes were so over the top that it was funny. A lot of the movie was funny, but so was the Evil Dead movies. It wasn't one of those movies that takes a lot of thought. It's one of those movies that is just fun to watch. Am I the only one who was shocked that this movie didn't get an R rating? Seriously The Ring was PG-13, so how the Hell didn't this get an R rating. Most of the PG-13 movies I've seen in the past have had the camera cut away from the gore scenes and have been real pussies when it comes to scares.

MDKing
05-29-2009, 07:29 PM
I tried again to watch Zombie's Halloween last night and I was reminded how TERRIBLE that movie was. The sheer amount of vulgarity and profanity further emphasises the overall lack of creativity from Zombie. I mean the chubby Myers kid said the "F" word every other word, then those pathetic excuses for Bullies basically only said profane words, and in what Universe would those clowns pass as bullies I found that almost comical? The back story showing Myers as a boy and getting abused by his white trash family did nothing but dissolve any mystery and intrigue for the character. He turned Myers into a run-of-the-mill serial killer like a Shawcross, or David Parker Ray and no longer the "pure and simple evil" mythical killer he was developed to be in the prior movies...

I get the feeling people cut this movie slack because it's from Rob Zombie, if it were so no-name new guy this movie would have, at best, went straight to video.

Allan

hauntedhousenut
05-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Quote from tyler To each their own I guess... but Hitchcock movies suck too! Sam Raimi should just stick to Comic Book/Super Hero movies, he does good with those! -Tyler

COME ON! Hitchock was way ahead of the curve when it came to the technical innovations, he pioneered suspense like no one else in his time, and I guess movies like Psycho and the birds sucked according to you, only to name a few, He was also best director in like five or six movies.

Nightgore
05-29-2009, 08:34 PM
The Birds? Really? Come on... I'll make a movie called "GEESE"... all about a swarm of ducks and geese who have a craving for eyeballs and flesh! Yeah right!

"MOM! Why is that swan eating daddy?"... it's stupid! -Tyler

IF YOUR 555
05-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Tyler, there were movies on your list that I personally thought were s.......well, smelled like a big o' goose with mudd-butt.

Nightgore
05-29-2009, 09:59 PM
I don't care, it's MY list of favorite movies! Get your own! Hahahahaha... -Tyler

Haunts of Richmond
05-29-2009, 11:46 PM
We had a great time at the theater tonight! We took an animatronic skeleton pop-u prop and placed it around one of the corners of the lobby... definitely got quite a few people with it. We were also able to hand out a ton of flyers and talk to people about Blood Lake.

And the movie was really fun! I'd definitely recommend it if you're a fan of horror.

- Ryan

Darkblood
05-30-2009, 06:22 AM
Well since my business partner and I can't drag our wives to see this (they won't-looks too scary for them) we're going to see it whilte we're in Columbus next weekend for MHC.
Should be awesome!
I love the Evil Dead movies...can't wait for part 4...lol!
Also, the Bird's is getting remade (from the people who did TCM remake, Friday the 13th remake, and Nightmare on Elm Street remake) so Tyler will like that one...lol ;)
Just teasin' my man!

Kirk

graystone
05-30-2009, 06:36 AM
Look I like Tyler but yall got to realize what 21 year old thought he knew the world and everything that revolves in it at his age? As far as the list yeah its his opinion and right to have what he likes.

I have noticed many, many times in his post that its just that an opinion and not what he actually knows LOL! His thinking is a cross between his own personal thoughts and those of people he likes and admires. At the end of the day most of us are scratching our heads! We all know it its been discussed in chat many, many times!

Tyler I do like ya and I think given about 6 or 7 years from now if your still with us and into this your thinking will change just as mine did or as Seans did or even some of your idols did at a young age! What you dont realize is there would be no movies if people like Hitchcock,John Carpenter, and thats just a couple did not set the stage for horror.

It still amazes me that you say you like Zombies Trailer Park Trash and hated Carpenters. I guess had John added the GD and F word 1000 times ( OH yes Allen AMEN Brother) had Jamie Lee Curtis naked and had more 10 year old kids cussing every breath then you would have loved it too! Sad, Sad, Sad! Is this way of seeing things and thinking is whats to come?

Lawd its 7:01 am Sat morning and I am still in bed I guess I am just going off here! I think at this point I better let it all go! Sorry guys for the rant. Tyler nothing personal but take some advice from a 40 year old who was once 21. You can have your opinions but trust me your still to young to know as much as you think! I am saying this as a friend and maybe this should have been under a different thread! Shane and its guys could it be PMS? Shane this time!

P.S. By the way I am going to see the movie tonight and I will fill you in on what I think about it tonight!

hauntedhousenut
05-30-2009, 08:33 AM
Look I like Tyler but yall got to realize what 21 year old thought he knew the world and everything that revolves in it at his age? As far as the list yeah its his opinion and right to have what he likes.

I have noticed many, many times in his post that its just that an opinion and not what he actually knows LOL! His thinking is a cross between his own personal thoughts and those of people he likes and admires. At the end of the day most of us are scratching our heads! We all know it its been discussed in chat many, many times!

Tyler I do like ya and I think given about 6 or 7 years from now if your still with us and into this your thinking will change just as mine did or as Seans did or even some of your idols did at a young age! What you dont realize is there would be no movies if people like Hitchcock,John Carpenter, and thats just a couple did not set the stage for horror.

It still amazes me that you say you like Zombies Trailer Park Trash and hated Carpenters. I guess had John added the GD and F word 1000 times ( OH yes Allen AMEN Brother) had Jamie Lee Curtis naked and had more 10 year old kids cussing every breath then you would have loved it too! Sad, Sad, Sad! Is this way of seeing things and thinking is whats to come?

Lawd its 7:01 am Sat morning and I am still in bed I guess I am just going off here! I think at this point I better let it all go! Sorry guys for the rant. Tyler nothing personal but take some advice from a 40 year old who was once 21. You can have your opinions but trust me your still to young to know as much as you think! I am saying this as a friend and maybe this should have been under a different thread! Shane and its guys could it be PMS? Shane this time!

P.S. By the way I am going to see the movie tonight and I will fill you in on what I think about it tonight!

I agree Tyler does tend emulate his Idols, I'm hoping one day he creates his own style and not words of others, afterall we love the little loveable fuzzball and many forum members are proud of his upstart with his new haunt.

Personally I think he's mastered the jedi mind trick, this youngster with no business experience(Paying the bills) has convinced an experienced business man to invest almost a million into there venture, to that I say kudos to you tyler, in fact I think you should have a Jedi mind trick seminar at an upcoming tradeshow, I'm sure shane would come on down with his homemade lightsaber begging for master tyler to show him the ways of the force!

P.s. You still don't get what Hitchock contributed Got it! and I noticed you never commented on Psycho.

Jolly Pumpkin
05-30-2009, 08:48 AM
Well I blame Wes Craven for all of this mess when it comes to crappy horror movies today. I refer to it as the "Scream Curse". When Scream came out in 1996 it was a different type of horror movie that catered to teens and had interesting twist and turns. It was a huge hit and movie companies knew they were on to something. Years would pass and clones of Scream would come out such as I Know What You Did Last Summer, Urban Legends and so on. But it didn't quite end there. More crappy movies would come out year after year after year until it became the formula for how most horror movies are made today.

But now we have another movie that started this evil curse back up and it's known as The Ring. When the Ring was released it was a huge hit so movie companies thought to themselves, we need to copy this formula and they did. Now we have a bunch of crappy Japanese horor movie remakes that seem to come out every year. Everytime a successful horror movie is released it's copied in so many ways by other movies that it becomes the formula of how many new horror movies are made. Thanks Wes Craven.

Now most horror movies are made to cater to a teen audience where the cast is attractive, the cinematography distracts you on how crappy the movie actually is and there is always some type of twist and turn. But the problem is that we've seen this time and time again and it just isn't scary anymore. The original Saw was good, but now the movies suck. Movies such as The Ring and The Grudge are just pathetic in my opinion. And all these horror movie remakes are not even close to the originals. When is it going to stop? As I said before I blame Wes Craven for this mess. Horror Movies will never be the same because of him.:(

xxxdirk
05-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Saw it last night with about 10 of my crew. We were all decked out in costume etc. Was pretty dumb I thought. It had good potential, but just was not filmed or maybe edited right. Seemed to that they could not decide if they wanted to to be a comedy or a horror.
Oh well, gret to get the crew out and even handed out some fliers....
Today we start our prebuild. Going to do 100 walls!

RoguesHollow
05-30-2009, 05:48 PM
This is turning out to be a good discussion or the sad state of Horror today. As far as Drag me to Hell goes, I plan on seeing it Monday. In the meantime I know what to expect. I expect to see slapstick-esque comedy mixed with horror and it sounds like that's exactly what it is. The problem I see is that the previews don't present it this way at all and younger viewers unfamiliar to Evil Dead will go expecting a scary horror film and find it stupid. I am going to chalk this one up to bad marketing. The commericals for Drag me To Hell have been terrible and completly play it straight.

I find myself agreeing with Noah on his rather dead on interpretation of where horror went wrong. Scream wasn't necessarily a bad movie but what it caused in its wake is enough for me to damn it for ever being made.

That said I have enjoyed the remakes of Friday the 13th and loved My Bloody Valentine, which I always felt was an overlooked gem from the 80's. However Movies like Halloween just rub me the wrong way. H2 looks to be even worse. It looks like Zombie decided to give Jason's back story to Michael to "explain" why he kills. Why do we need an explaination? That's why Halloween was scary. I think that if Zombie had just made a direct remake of Halloween without the back story it could have been a decent horror film but he just killed the whole series and I look for H2 to be the final nail. But then again I'm not teenager so what do I know.

Jolly Pumpkin
05-30-2009, 06:16 PM
I actually loved the original Scream, but after everyone started to copy off of it, it really started to lose its originality. Not every horror movie that has come out since then has been horrible, but I would say that 75% of the movies that have come out since then have been crap. The reason Scream succeeded like it did was because it was more of a spoof inside a horror movie. But movie companies thought that Scream was supposed to be taken 100% seriously and it wasn't. Every new horror movie doesn't have to have a twist, good looking people and cut away scenes. That just isn't realistic.

I think Wes Craven is even to blame for the downfall of comedy movies. Scary Movie was the first type of movie making fun of other movies and it focused mostly on Scream. If Wes Craven never made Scream we wouldn't have these terrible comedies making fun of genres of movies. So thanks Wes Craven. You may have created Freddy Krueger, but you ruined 2 genres of movies when you created Scream.

Darkblood
05-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Actually Kevin Williamson created Scream.
Wes Craven just directed it.
I get what you're saying about all the 'Scream-esque' movies that followed.
Just like the Ring created more Ring-esque movies.
Once something works they beat it to death.
Heck, after Resident Evil just about every horror movie used a ghostly little girl in it. I actually said to a friend, "If this freakin' movie has a ghostly little girl, I'm leaving." when I went to different horror flicks...lol.

Kirk

graystone
05-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Seeing Drag Me To Hell. Well..... LOL its not the worst movie I have ever seen but then again its safe to say I want be buying the DVD. I think it was a little to....... ummmmmm....... shoot I guess the word would be silly for a true horror movie. I think they tried to beef it up with the loud music but it did not help. On the 1 to 10 scale I give it a 4! Shane and its oh hell just go see it there is worse out there! Shane this time.

Jolly Pumpkin
05-30-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm assuming the people who are giving bad reviews of Drag Me To Hell aren't Evil Dead Fans or Army of Darkness fans. What were people expecting? They knew Sam Raimi was the director and how He is over the top with his movies. Personally I loved the movie and it's been getting great reviews all over the internet. Like I said before the trailer for the movie is terrible. It makes the movie appear as if it's going to be insanely frightening. It has its moments here and there, but just like the Evil Dead Trilogy it's mostly slap stick. This is a fun horror movie plain and simple and if you got bored with it then lighten up.

There are way too many horror movies that take themselves way too seriously. Drag Me To Hell is a breath of fresh air. Its scenes remind me of Dead Alive in how they are funny and disgusting at the same time. Does anyone remember that movie? It's one of the goriest horror movies of all time.

graystone
05-31-2009, 05:31 AM
As far as myself like I said there is worse out there but I assure you it will be safe to say that it want be a huge money maker. I noticed I went to the 7:30 showing and there were still tons of seats left. Also I would bet its safe to say there want be a #2 Drag Me To Hell. Shane and its did anyone else notice lots of empty seats? Shane this time.

Darkblood
05-31-2009, 07:02 AM
Jolly-Dead Alive! Now you're talking! The Unrated is the only way to go there (I've seen both and the R rated one sucks!).
Also Peter Jackson of Lord of the Ring fame. Can't go wrong there!

I'm a big Evil Dead fan so Drag Me To Hell should be right up my alley.
Heck, Raimi did a little bit of Evil Dead type stuff in Spiderman 2 with the operation scene od Doc Ock when his robotic arms went nuts...that's the Raimi stuff I like!
I read something I think it was about Raimi yesterday saying that If you have a monsters eye pop out you have to put it in your actress' mouth...lol

Kirk

Jolly Pumpkin
05-31-2009, 08:42 AM
Yeah, the unrated version is the only way to go. Dead Alive has to be the goriest movie I've ever seen. Everyone seems to forget that Peter Jackson did some over the top horror movies way before Lord of The Rings. I guess people want to forget about those movies, but I don't. Peter Jackson's best movie is Heavenly Creatures.

mindtumor
05-31-2009, 08:50 AM
I'm assuming the people who are giving bad reviews of Drag Me To Hell aren't Evil Dead Fans or Army of Darkness fans. What were people expecting? They knew Sam Raimi was the director and how He is over the top with his movies. Personally I loved the movie and it's been getting great reviews all over the internet. Like I said before the trailer for the movie is terrible. It makes the movie appear as if it's going to be insanely frightening. It has its moments here and there, but just like the Evil Dead Trilogy it's mostly slap stick. This is a fun horror movie plain and simple and if you got bored with it then lighten up.

There are way too many horror movies that take themselves way too seriously. Drag Me To Hell is a breath of fresh air. Its scenes remind me of Dead Alive in how they are funny and disgusting at the same time. Does anyone remember that movie? It's one of the goriest horror movies of all time.

Is Dead Alive the Peter Jackson movie about the guy kidnapping the monkey?

mindtumor
05-31-2009, 08:50 AM
Ok you answered that before I even posted the question.

mindtumor
05-31-2009, 09:03 AM
94% fresh with 138 reviews. I usually agree with them but not always. I am not an evil dead fan so I may not like this movie if it is similar.