PDA

View Full Version : Drop Panel

creep house
07-15-2009, 03:05 PM
hi , im looking for a diagram or so of a drop panel....

a cheap one .......a detailed version....what will i need?

actor activated.........

i looked in a search on here but could not find a detailed or a pic.

thanks Creep House

freak 'n' stein
07-15-2009, 11:25 PM
http://hauntproject.com/projdetail.asp?category=Drop%20Panels

Twin Locusts
07-16-2009, 06:03 AM
Nice basic tute. The only issue that may arise from this design is wood on wood action problems. Your slides would have to be loose enough to allow the panel to fall 'almost' freely, so a proper fit would be key. The egdges could also be candle waxed or board waxed lightly.

If this fit's too loose the panel will bind by turning vertically in the chute and catching, too tight, and the furring strips would simply grip it.

creep house
07-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Thanks guys.......

Creep House

evilmanor
07-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Nice basic tute. The only issue that may arise from this design is wood on wood action problems. Your slides would have to be loose enough to allow the panel to fall 'almost' freely, so a proper fit would be key. The egdges could also be candle waxed or board waxed lightly.

If this fit's too loose the panel will bind by turning vertically in the chute and catching, too tight, and the furring strips would simply grip it.

What about using some c chanel attached to the sides of the panel where there is wood-wood contact? I'd a piece along the bottom as well to prevent damage to the panel from impact on the stop.

Twin Locusts
07-16-2009, 10:07 AM
What about using some c chanel attached to the sides of the panel where there is wood-wood contact? I'd a piece along the bottom as well to prevent damage to the panel from impact on the stop.

Yeah, I thought about extruded channel, the screws would have to be inset well. I haven't priced this stuff for a long time, wood moulding may be a lot cheaper, just haven't checked it.

Another thing, if wood is the choice is to use MDF to get the weight, and route the edges to lower friction and get more speed. I'm sure this has been done a hundred diff ways.