PDA

View Full Version : The Tundra Tour is pleased to announce the Keynote Speaker!

Tattoo
01-18-2007, 09:47 PM
When Brett Bertolino joined the staff of the Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site, a nonprofit prison museum in Philadelphia, he never realized that a big part of his job would be to scare people; Eastern State’s largest fundraiser is the annual Halloween event, Terror Behind the Walls.

When Bertolino began, he was one of only two full time staff members responsible for all of programming at the historic site. In fact, the relatively young organization had only three full time staff members including himself, and none of them were “haunters.” Despite a lack of experience, he soon fell in love with the potential of the event, and cautiously embraced his new role as a haunted attraction operator. He began rethinking every aspect of the event, helping to transform it into a “Massive Haunted House inside a real prison.”

During the next seven years, Bertolino and his colleagues, Sean Kelly, and later Jason Olsen, reinvented their product, added new attractions, and formed strategic marketing partnerships. Through their efforts, attendance increased by more than 300%. What was once a moderately sized, regional event has grown into one of the nation’s largest and most ambitious haunted attractions.

Today, Terror Behind the Walls receives over 70,000 visitors each season, and raises 63% of the annual budget for this true non-profit prison museum. Bertolino, Kelley, and Olsen are joined each night by more than 140 seasonal staff members.

Bertolino is perhaps best known for his dedication to professional haunted attraction operation, as well as for advocating professionalism in the haunted attraction industry, but, despite the success, he still does not consider himself a “haunter.” Although his resume suggests an incredible knowledge of haunting, he believes that there is always more to learn. He constantly rethinks and reevaluates each aspect of the event, and refuses rest on success.

Bertolino will be the keynote speaker on the Frozen Tundra Tour. He will share his insights, experiences, and the lessons he’s learned during the last seven years as a “non-haunter” immersed in a haunters world.

Brett Bertolino is the Assistant Program Director for Operations and Special Events at Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site, Inc. He is also serves on the Board for the International Association of Haunted Attractions (IAHA) and is the Editor for the Haunted Attraction section of Tourist Attractions and Parks Magazine (TAP). In addition, he has lead seminars on marketing, promotions, haunted attraction operations and ticketing at various tradeshows including Transworld’s Halloween Show (2006) and at HAuNTcon (2005, 2006).

http://www.easternstate.org
http://www.easternstate.org/halloween

Tattoo
01-20-2007, 09:34 AM
This is where our dinner will take place, we will also be hosting the social gathering here and many other activities before boarding our train and heading over to Terror on the Fox.

The Lenfestey Center:
http://www.nationalrrmuseum.org/images/lenfestey/miscellaneous/image-010-large.gif

Dinner will be served along side of some very historic trains including Eisenhower's Command Train and The Big Boy (One of the largest Steam Engines ever built)
http://www.nationalrrmuseum.org/images/lenfestey/miscellaneous/image-004-large.gif

Of course we will put our very own special spin on this venue for the evening!

www.frozentundrafrighttour.com

Take care,

Tattoo

Empressnightshade
01-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Dinner will be served along side of some very historic trains including Eisenhower's Command Train and The Big Boy (One of the largest Steam Engines ever built)
http://www.nationalrrmuseum.org/images/lenfestey/miscellaneous/image-004-large.gif

OH, NO TATTOO!
I'm afraid of trains!! :shock:
I was almost hit by one as a kid. I avoid going to our Railroad Museum here because of my fear. When I read we were going to ride a train over to the haunt, I just assumed it was one of those little trains like they have at the zoo. Not a REAL train...YIKES! And now we're gonna eat with them??? What am I gonna do? :?:

Tattoo
01-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Hmmmmmmmm...............

You will either be cured of your fear very fast, or we will need to figure something out that works for you. I promise we won't let anything happen to you Empress.

Take care,

Tattoo

xxxdirk
01-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Having performed my magic shows within inches of those trains at the museum several times, I can assure you they are safe....except that one time I saw one break free from its tie downs and chace several people around the museum........

Empressnightshade
01-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Having performed my magic shows within inches of those trains at the museum several times, I can assure you they are safe....except that one time I saw one break free from its tie downs and chace several people around the museum........
Uh...thanks, xxdirk. That helps a person who was traumatized by a train a lot. :roll:

xxxdirk
01-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Love ya doll. Just felt a bit naughty... :P

Jim Warfield
01-21-2007, 02:49 AM
Like when I was taking ski lessons and another student said he was scared of riding the ski lift.
I confided that: " I only live a short drive away from the ski resort and in all the years of it's existence, maybe..only about, oh, 75 people have have fallen off it and been killed."
I had the guy go wide-eyed on me and then somebody else ratted me out and told him it wasn't true!
hahahaahha!
"All skiers now boarding the Sky-Death Ride! Who will not survive it?"

Greg Chrise
01-21-2007, 05:33 AM
I would suggest some thearapy as follows:

http://www.thomas-tank-engine.com/

Empressnightshade
01-21-2007, 12:07 PM
I would suggest some thearapy as follows:

http://www.thomas-tank-engine.com/

Wow.......

I didn't expect the jokes to come from you. Thanks everyone for your understanding....... :?

Empressnightshade
01-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Hmmmmmmmm...............

You will either be cured of your fear very fast, or we will need to figure something out that works for you. I promise we won't let anything happen to you Empress.

Take care,

Tattoo
Thanks, Tattoo. I appreciate it.

Raycliff Manor
01-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Tattoo, there is a real good chance the members of Eureka Screams! will be able to attend the Frozen Tundra Tour afterall! That is if there's still room on the bus by the time we know! We're trying to work out the details and we'll keep you posted! :)

Kel

Tattoo
01-21-2007, 08:33 PM
That's great news Kel! There will always be room for you all, as we sell out one bus we open another! We hit our minumum a while ago and we are 100% a go! Check your private messages Kel.

Take care,

Tattoo

Raycliff Manor
01-21-2007, 09:39 PM
It's official! We'll be braving the tundra! :twisted:

Kel

Empressnightshade
01-21-2007, 10:04 PM
It's official! We'll be braving the tundra! :twisted:

Kel
HOORAY! That IS good news!!

Nightgore
01-21-2007, 10:07 PM
I don't have the money to attend... but I would LOVE to see ALOT of photos. SO TAKE CAMERAS!!! (screaming at the PC).

You guys are going to have SO much fun! This sounds awesome. Tell me all about it. -Tyler