PDA

View Full Version : Do any pros decorate their homes?

shawnc
07-29-2009, 02:15 AM
I don't mean for this thread to turn into one of those "Look at my cool new Gemmy props" things.

I was thinking about the old story about the auto mechanic having the worst-running car and the landscaper having the ugliest yard on the block. Would anyone have any idea by looking at your house in October that you have a professional haunt, or do you put so much time and energy into the haunt that you don't even have a jack o'lantern at your house?

UnDeRTaKer313
07-29-2009, 06:33 AM
every single halloween item is at our building now lol so our house is gonna look super bland.
im gonna put up some lights and a lighted sign that holds fliers to our haunted houses new location this year.
i totally understand what your saying though.

Allen H
07-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Not a stitch of decorations at my house, and there never has been, I,ve never been home on Halloween. Wait... I think my wife sets up a pumpkin cut out, and she has a fall garland around the front door, but thats more for fall.
Allen H

mindtumor
07-29-2009, 10:11 AM
No decorations inside or outside of my house anymore. I don't even celebrate Halloween anymore. I don't do Christmas either.

SomeThingInTheIce
07-29-2009, 12:29 PM
My haunt is where the home is.

Haunts of Richmond
07-29-2009, 04:14 PM
I was thinking about that the other day... I'm only a couple years into professional haunting, but I'm still probably going to always decorate my place in some way... at least the inside. I just love the fall season and Halloween too much not to do it.

- Ryan

graystone
07-29-2009, 04:35 PM
No! Now Christmas thats a totally different story! Shane and its 1 million lights and counting! Shane this time!

Mike Goff
07-30-2009, 01:53 AM
We finished our basement, decorated it just like a haunted house, distressed walls the works. We have framed a pretty good collection of posters from some of our favorite haunts. The bar has a little Halloween town with miniture haunted houses and grave yard. I tell friends that it's a scale model of Scare Fair 2010 It's a great place to relax and talk scary stuff.

As far as decorating the outside, we are too far from neighbors for anyone to see them, and the dogs would vandalize it anyway.

Motograter
07-30-2009, 12:22 PM
I used to go all out decorating my house and doing a haunted graveyard out front. But now that I got the haunt going on. I don't have the time anymore.

Darkblood
07-30-2009, 06:50 PM
With the haunt...NOPE!
lol...no time!

Kirk

Jim Warfield
07-31-2009, 09:28 PM
..and so i'm going to have my own haunted house!"
I have heard and read this many times over the years. My advice to such a person making such a statement is if they really do love Halloween, then forget the haunted house, you will never see Halloween again!
No partys, no trick or treating, no fun costumes or costume contests or parades and if you are real unlucky and you have a haunt, you might not get to have much fun there either because you will be too busy running the place, paying attention to the details and the problem solving as those October nights whizz by.
One haunter told me he spends most of every night he's open on the phone trying to get enough help!
I fortunately have a Wife who does alot of the running and ticket sales and group handling so I can be the strange guy impressing customers that I am still not locked up somewhere!

shawnc
07-31-2009, 10:48 PM
I've been expecting Jim to post and was curious what he was going to say. It turns out to be something totally unexpected (big surprise there!) and probably the most insightful advice ever given on this board. It should be made into a sticky at the top of every forum.

Jim Warfield
08-01-2009, 08:01 AM
Sometimes some of us forget that we can't be two or more places at the same time.
Hours zip by as we think, plan, build and run things, many of us have family obligations and they require and demand attention too.
It all just boils down to, just how many hours can a person give to whatever it is they have to do?
Then what is left for doing what you want to do?
The "Math" doesn't lie.
Pursuing our dream or fantasy can leave a person high & dry in other areas......

damon carson
08-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Amen to your last two postings Jim! True all very true! I still hope you have time for your butterfly collection. Ha ha!
Damon

Jim Warfield
08-01-2009, 08:43 PM
That's my "Butt and Fly" collection! Funny how the two are always found together!
A shower with soap would change this...for awhile.

legendsofthefog
08-11-2009, 08:23 PM
March through November 15th is my busy season... November 15th to March1 is my slumber season! I feel like such a jerk for not decorating for halloween or christmas. How about that question...

who is still worn out in December that they don't decorate their homes for christmas? Count me in.

Jim Warfield
08-11-2009, 10:31 PM
There is often just a small window or weather opportunity to decorate outside for Christmas if it involves using a ladder, the winds whip up, the ladder slides across the metal edge of the spouting and pokes out a window.
The freezing rain comes followed by sleet and snow, brittle roofing follows, no traction but then we aren't supposed to be there then either, are we?
Same holds true for removing Christmas decorations, their removal is dictated by the weather , wait for that sunny, still day that hopefully is not too sloppy.
Forcing certain tasks and jobs during the wrong prevailing weather can easily lead to hospital time, and then who's going to shovel your walks?
Where did I leave my fake/sympathy leg cast?

TALA
08-13-2009, 11:52 PM
My haunt turns into my home. I can't imagine being anywhere else during October. Just so much fun. The problems, the laughs, the great scares, the people coming out screaming that the haunt scared the hell out of them. What else could you ask for during Halloween?