PDA

View Full Version : Legends of the Fog - Facade build Part 1

legendsofthefog
08-23-2009, 11:38 AM
I wanted to share our new facade that we're putting together here at LOTF. This sign has had more than 8 contributors assisting me to put this together... all starting with the guys at Brainstorm Studios for hooking us up with sweet artwork, a little imagination, and a lot of hard work. Probably about 80+ man hours wrapped up in this sign.
I am considering making more of these, if anyone might be interested in one for 2010, let me know.

http://www.legendsofthefog.com/images/Legends_of_the_Fog_facade_3.jpg The cut out design on the ground
http://www.legendsofthefog.com/images/Legends_of_the_Fog_facade_5.jpg After the first coat of Black and the first layer of tape
http://www.legendsofthefog.com/images/Legends_of_the_Fog_facade_7.jpg Three colors to the marbleized paint for the letter's center
http://www.legendsofthefog.com/images/Legends_of_the_Fog_facade_9.jpg Final product... After 5 colors of automotive paint and 6 coats of clear. We're ready to move on to mounting by labor day. The final sign dimensions are 14' wide by 6' tall. It was originally designed to be hung in three sections, but we can hang it a little easier as one... more pics to follow

Front Yard Fright
08-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Very very nice! What are the letters made of?
I can't wait to see the finished product!
:D.

FablesStudios
08-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Very Cool!

Peter T
FS

legendsofthefog
08-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Very very nice! What are the letters made of?

The letters are made of two sheets of 14gauge steel. The frame is 1" square stock tube.

freak 'n' stein
08-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Can't wait for more pics. Great Work!!

SomeThingInTheIce
08-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Wow, nice and made from steel, cool!

Darkangel
08-25-2009, 09:47 AM
Looks pretty cool.

So the frame on the back, you just bolt that in using carriage bolts to support it or how will it be mounted, looks heavy.

Also, what would the cost be for a sign like this?

Darkangel

legendsofthefog
08-26-2009, 05:23 AM
Looks pretty cool.

So the frame on the back, you just bolt that in using carriage bolts to support it or how will it be mounted, looks heavy.

Also, what would the cost be for a sign like this?

Darkangel

You are correct on the mounting. The entire sign weighs 140+/- lbs. I figure a more typical application would be 3x6 or 4x8... but I could make anything 3D or flat like this one.

Price? I would say a comparable 3x6 or 4x8 would start around $800 - $1000. It all depends on the complexity of your artwork including no of colors, and how intricate the design work is. If you want something just 1 or 2 colors, the price would probably be less.

Raycliff Manor
08-26-2009, 08:29 AM
AWESOME! We may have to hire you after this season is over to produce a sign for us! ;)

Kel

EMBRUJADA
08-26-2009, 08:08 PM
hello , wow thats is amazing process , i need one for my house, do you have a manual to design this? , or somthing like that , thats great job , i hope to the best season this year , greetings

legendsofthefog
08-27-2009, 07:23 AM
hello , wow thats is amazing process , i need one for my house, do you have a manual to design this? , or somthing like that , thats great job , i hope to the best season this year , greetings

I don't even know where I got the idea, but I just wanted to make something bold to make a statement in front of our haunt. Last year, our entrance wasn't very impressive, just a bland black-bear shed for a box office. This year is a whole new ball-game.

If you have experience with steel, or know someone who has experience with steel, you will need a good steel cutter. We used a plasma cutter (about a $1500 tool, cost me a case of beer to use). I used sawzall blades to cut the frame for the sign (easy enough). we have a thermal-arc welder 130 (about 800 to get you started) and paint supplies.
I guess I just come from a farm family of fabricators, so I have been doing this kind of stuff since I was a kid among other things like restoring classic mustangs (i'm on my 4th nightmare right now) and customizing farm equipment for odd-ball applications.
If you are serious about making your own, I could probably type something up, but if you're not savvy with working with steel, you might want to do the same process from plywood... 2x4 framing and a jig-saw is much cheaper than steel.
Let me know!

More pics...
http://www.legendsofthefog.com/images/Legends_of_the_Fog_facade_2.jpg
A picture of my friend Patrick on the plasma cutter. It cuts through steel like butter. If you're cutting out letters, they'll just fall straight to the floor. This is much easier than using hand tools!
http://www.legendsofthefog.com/images/Legends_of_the_Fog_facade_4.jpg
Pic of the Frame laid out on the sign (pre-paint)
http://www.legendsofthefog.com/images/Legends_of_the_Fog_facade_6.jpg
Pic of the coating of red. You need to paint everything red, just to get a 1" letter outline
http://www.legendsofthefog.com/images/Legends_of_the_Fog_facade_8.jpg
Another pic of the finished product... before the clear-coat

Haunts of Richmond
08-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Amazing job. Can't wait to see it lit up!

chuck weber
08-28-2009, 08:23 AM
is the self proclaimed "KING" of Aldino-Stepney road. We'll be over to see you this Fall. Great job on the sign! Chuck

Raycliff Manor
08-31-2009, 09:55 AM
Seriously, if you are interested in providing us a quote on doing a sign for us, please contact me at info@raycliffmanor.com

We probably don't have time for it this year, but we'd be interested for 2010!

Kel

legendsofthefog
09-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Sorry it has been so long, but I just wanted to put up a picture of the facade up and hooked up. It has 2 Par-64s pointing to the sign, and 2 1000 watt foggers piped up to the middle of the sign. Let me know what you think.

http://www.legendsofthefog.com/images/Legends_of_the_fog_facade_10.jpg

freak 'n' stein
09-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Looks REALLY great. I didn't know how you were going to hang it, so to see the finished product, AWESOME!!!

Allen H
09-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Beautiful, makes me wish I was in Harford county again. I wish you the very best of luck this season.
Allen H

SomeThingInTheIce
09-30-2009, 04:35 PM
That is sweet, how is it lit at night?

legendsofthefog
02-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Now that the weather is starting to cooperate a little more, I am getting anxious to get back to work on the haunt. The other night I came up with this idea to transform our bridge to the next level. This "Bridge" into Legends of the Fog compound is more than 1100 feet from the main road, and it is at the far end of our soccer complex. This entrance will be visible to thousands... and I want to make sure it is the best it can be, especially from a distance.

http://www.legendsofthefog.com/images/bridgesketch.jpg

On this sketch, I would build the pillars about 4' wide, maybe 4' deep and 24' high (to the top of the telephone poles). The arch area of the sign will be approx 2.5' in depth.

I would probably use 3" foam and may of the methods outlined by this thread http://www.hauntworld.com/haunted_house_forums/showthread.php?t=8846&highlight=foam+hard+coat

The small square pillars in front and behind will also be stone, and will have guard-rail style fencing between them. Lighting will be installed in the small pillars...

I am still having trouble planning the suspension guide wires... I am not sure if they will be cables covered with 3 or 4" pvc or drain tile... any suggestions? We will plant wisteria and trumpet vines at the base of all of the pillars and over time it will over-grow the bridge and the wires.

The actual LOTF sign will appear to bust through the head of the bridge... we'll probably use green back-lighting and a natural front lighting on the actual letters. We'd still use 2 foggers to pump fog into that space... and the fog will come out from behind the sign.

Let me know what you think.... too much headache for a facade? Or, should I leave it how it is? suggestions?

SomeThingInTheIce
02-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Sweet, take lots of pics.

freak 'n' stein
02-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Sweet, take lots of pics.

...ditto!!!

Nightgore
02-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Loving the pics! Also like the concept of the new facade... very creative and original! Keep us all posted, I always LOVE build pics like this! -Tyler

legendsofthefog
02-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Since we're still a young show... we are still "finding ourselves" Our haunts are set in the modern era (if that makes any sense) and everything we build is dated post 1900 (and some sets are even present-day dated)... Does this "bridge" seem too gothic and pre-1900?
Any suggestions how this can be modernized to still have that creepy aged feel... but not scream middle-age era?
(disclaimer) we do not have anything against middle-aged era themes/decor, but its just the direction we have chosen...

Nightgore
02-25-2010, 08:47 AM
You have to think... most if not all cities have TONS of buildings/architecture pre-1900... Depending on your theme, it could work. Also, I've seen MODERN structures built using older styling, etc. I think you'll be fine with the way it looks, I'd keep it brick instead of stone... that might date it a little.

I don't think it looks to gothic or outdated for your theme at all. -Tyler

HouseOfHorrors
02-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Love the sign! Very Cool!!!

elowther
02-26-2010, 10:41 PM
It looks great so far and would be fine as is. Having said that it would be amazing if you built it as you described. Tons of work but it would really get peoples attention I think. I would go for it. Good luck and keep the photos coming if you decide to do it. The black drain pipe would probably work for the cable coverings. Maybe use some creative texture on it. I would love to see it lighted with the fog on it.

Eric

legendsofthefog
02-27-2010, 10:35 AM
thanks for the comments!

Eric - after that last haunt world and your awesome pics... looks like we could all use a lesson on lighting! I am toying with lighting in the plans now...

does anyone think using vacuform is a cop out? looks like using a combo of foam for trim and vacuform for the majority will save a lot of time and money.

(side note) we have to have a 14'6" clearance to make sure the local fire dept can fit through the archway! i never knew tankers were almost 14' tall, will be a challenge

jason
02-27-2010, 10:42 AM
no way! it's a time and money saver!

elowther
02-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Yeah, nothing is a cop out that saves time and money as long as it looks good in the end. I was also thinking of your idea to make it look more modern if you went that route. If you made the beams look like old rusty steel with big rivets that could look cool like a modern bridge in disrepair. Then you could put two lights on top like some of the current bridges have to warn airplanes. It might look cool since you have the logo in steel already.

The last photo could be an option with your set up by wrapping the existing poles in wire mesh then doing stucco over it and detailing the rust.

Keep us posted what ever you decide, it will be cool.

Eric

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l37/ericlowther/HHA%20post/nn_myers_infrastructure_070802300w.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l37/ericlowther/HHA%20post/bb.png

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l37/ericlowther/HHA%20post/068509_d0cea880.jpg

legendsofthefog
02-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Eric - cool ideas. I'll look into the longevity of all of these ideas. I definitely want to go with the best long-term method. Its funny you bring up the flashing red lights... There is a small craft airport less than 1000 yards from the bridge location... that detail may be functional!

Jim Warfield
02-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Build your gate/bridge lower than 14 ft. and just have a section of hinged fence beside it with open sky above that to get tall fire trucks into the place?
Or is there something else that comes into play that I am missing?
Yes bricks are alot more work than foam or whatever but if you are out in the country bricks might hold up better to the weather and to any vandalism.
Your sign is beautiful!
I don't use a plasma cutter on my metal but one can do wonders with a small grinder ($40?) and a very almost "paper" thin metal cutting wheel (DeWalt makes them)

legendsofthefog
02-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Jim - I guess I never clarified about why the bridge is a bridge... basically it is not a real bridge, but it is the main road in and out of our haunt... it has a 2' concrete pipe which allows all of the water to pass through from the adjacent 40 acre field. Basically... all of the water from the haunt property passes through this one single spot... and as you said, we have 2 options... open air road (more pipe and a big base) or just make the sign higher. Thanks for the compliments on the sign... The plasma cutter is a luxury (it belongs to a good friend... all as it takes is a case of beer to use) I have those other tools... but its just not as fun!

Jim Warfield
02-28-2010, 08:32 AM
What another piece of concrete tube would cost? Sometimes somethings turn out to be alot cheaper than we think they will be.
Maybe just another 6 foot would help alot?
We had such pipe abandoned on our lot when local road construction was completed, nobody ever came back and got it, now it's buried as our landfill.
Many corrugated galvenised tubes had to be replaced around here because (I was told) the farm fertillizer rotted the bottoms out of them prematurely.
This expense was mostly paid by the county.

legendsofthefog
04-22-2010, 06:22 AM
Looks like the sign upgrades are going to be put on hold. To do it right, and the way we want, its going to have to wait until next season. I don't want to do it half ass. If you guys have any other industrial-type ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

-Patrick

elowther
04-22-2010, 06:27 AM
I have had many projects like that. It's better to wait than to rush it or like you said do it half assed. When you do build it it will be to your liking and the patrons will appreciate it that much more.

Eric

legendsofthefog
05-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Sorry I have been a bit of a hermit form hauntworld lately but we've been working pretty steady on the haunt. Our main objective this year is to polish and get our S* together. Here are a few updated pics of progress on our "Bridge" project. This bridge has evolved over time... it began as just short telephone poles to keep our customer's vehicles from driving off the road into a water-way that flows under our driveway. There is a 24" concrete pipe to allow water to flow through.
We then tried to go after a suspension bridge aspect for aesthetics, but there was one major thing missing.... water! Now, we're bringing water to the bridge. There will be a 6" deep pond on both sides of the bridge. This is the only foot traffic entrance and exit into the event, and it will be divided into lanes for purchasing tickets and exit traffic. More pics to come!

http://www.legendsofthefog.com/images/Legends_of_the_fog_facade_11.jpg
Due to clearance issues, we had to raise the bottom cross beam of the facade. You can still see the notches where it sat before. Now we have 14' of clearance for trucks. Last year a tri-axel dump truck smacked one of the bolts under the sign... they weren't too happy.
This picture shows us putting up the steel cable to hold our roping for the suspension bridge.
http://www.legendsofthefog.com/images/Legends_of_the_fog_facade_12.jpg
This shows the entire bridge... it is about 120' long. The guard rails are made from 100+ year old axe-cut timbers from an old barn. The roping is 1-1/2" braided hemp... I bought a spool last year at an auction.
http://www.legendsofthefog.com/images/Legends_of_the_fog_facade_13.jpg
We are digging the waterway here to grade. You can barley see the top of the concrete pipe to the left of the sign post. At the base of the sign post there is a waterproof box that will hide fog machines (which is piped underground and behind the sign)

More pictures to come! Next step is LED lighting, the box office integration and fog.

chuck weber
05-30-2011, 01:07 PM
NEW SIGN LOOKS GREAT !!! I'll be over to see you guys...... keep up the great work.

X-Treme Torment
05-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Looks good Patrick. Just one question, does it ever get backed up (traffic) since there is only one way in and out? But itís looking very nice and Iím excited to see how it goes.

legendsofthefog
05-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Looks good Patrick. Just one question, does it ever get backed up (traffic) since there is only one way in and out? But itís looking very nice and Iím excited to see how it goes.

This facade is just for foot traffic now. We have moved our event footprint a few times before we (hopefully) got it right. The bridge is 22' wide. 8' for exiting traffic, 6' for online tickets and 8' for box office purchases. With 4 windows at our box office our ticket lines move pretty fast. We will see what this year's lines look like out front, we may need to make adjustments in the future. Last year we only had about 1 hour that our box office line was crazy long.
We are working on the right side of the bridge soon, we are building a new roadway for vehicle traffic (no customers) that will make the barrier for the second pond on the right. We don't need to dig for this side, we just need to build up the bank.

legendsofthefog
11-22-2011, 07:01 AM
Thought I would post some updates for the bridge. I think it is safe to say that we're going to leave it alone for a while. I don't have stellar pics of this project at night... but you get the idea. We found an old barn gutter which now serves as a trough under the sign and we used a LED rope light to uplight the sign. We bought some cheap truck tool boxes form tractor supply to serve as outdoor cabinets to conceal electric, fog machines, and other electronics. All wiring, fog, and low voltage lines are hidden in plumbing and electrical PVC.

Overall the project worked very well. We had three lines the length of the bridge to separate online ticketing customers from cash and credit customers. Additionally, the vehicle traffic road which goes around the bridge served its purpose well, and this year we eliminated any foot/vehicle traffic issues.

This was the bridge on a foggy morning.

The following is a picture of the box office. When this project started, it was a blackbear shed! This was my mom's project this summer... If anyone is interested I can post this as a separate thread... tons of work put into this project... but most of it was simplistic, just time consuming.