PDA

View Full Version : Seeking some advice from the pros...

nOrTHeRn TouCh
09-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Hey guyz hows it going? I haven't posted much in a long time I had been very busy with trying to get Our funding and grant from the Government to build our all new attraction. Sadly my funding still hasn't come threw so I have to go to plan B.
I run our attraction in our local downtown mall and this will be our 2nd season running. I have acquired a very large place for this season much larger then the set up I have at the moment. So I don't have enough walls and have to build at least a 1000sq foot addition to our haunt. I am looking for ideas from the pros on witch way I should go to build my new walls on the cheap. What is the best and cheapest solution other then wood? I know and have seen some use some sort of durable plastic or I have even heard of some using black erogen cloth even our local fire Marshall suggested it. so I was hoping someone out there could help point me in the right direction.

themagicofjustinarrigo
09-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Check out the pick on message #6 here http://www.hauntworld.com/haunted_house_forums/showthread.php?t=3956&highlight=slat. You can make a slat hallway, or even a maze. Make it look like you are walking inside the walls. Get on your local town's craigslist and look in the free section for people giving away pallets, you should have no problem finding them. Business's get them in on a daily basis, and rather than pay to have them disposed, they give them away. Get a whole bunch of them. You can disasemble them, then rip the pieces down and make slat walls. You will still need to make a frame, you can use 2x3's for this, then just attach the slat boards. You can light from behind the walls, and if you use fog, this will create a really creepy effect. Add some texture, some webs, be creative. Probably a better idea than using plastic or cloth? Good luck!
Justin

Allen H
09-05-2009, 09:48 PM
I did a haunt once and used alot of TYVEK for the wall panels. Made a 2x2 frame and attached the TYVEK like a canvas on a frame. They were great for projecting on from the rear and painted pretty easily.
Allen H

Mad Wax Sculptor
09-06-2009, 03:37 AM
How about for free? contact a few companys that do fencing and go pick up the old fencing they removed from the customers. Either use full panels or make slat walls using 2x4s and pickets. Most people dont know this but companys that sell and set up double wide modular homes block the open walls in shipping with 4x8 framed plywood walls. These walls are discarded by the set up crews. If you find a community being set up you can get hundreds. All you have to do is haul them off.I know ive got several and they were free!!!!

nOrTHeRn TouCh
09-06-2009, 11:59 PM
hey guys thankz for the response. I do have a large section of slat style, I used pallets in these areas. I do have themed out rooms and areas as well as a very large maze that is made out of snow netting. I am really just looking for other ideas that we could use to build onto our old Haunt on the cheap. I could just use pallets but was looking for some other ideas for our hallways and rooms that are more of a fill then anything else. The reason being is were going from a 1500sq foot attraction to a 2500sq foot and everything to fill the extra area attraction. I do have props actors but what to do for the walls and I am on a 3 week time crunch and because of the size difference we already have to build a new facade that I am building at the moment...

Any ideas or help would be great...

Allen H
09-07-2009, 04:58 PM
A sheet maze is a great way to fill up some space Or a room with hanging body bags, or a drain pipe filled room, they are rooms and the more rooms you have the less wall panels you need to fill out hallways.
Allen H