PDA

View Full Version : How Much To Charge?

Front Yard Fright
09-07-2009, 03:23 PM
I was recently contacted by a local haunt about doing their logo, flier, and website for their haunt. The owner said he would pay me, but I'm having a hard time coming up with how much to charge for everything. I have heard of logos going for $300+ depending on where you go, and websites are pretty pricey too. I guess it really depends on what all I can do, and I can do some, but nothing near Brainstorm or Rouges Hollow.

I designed everything on my site http://www.frighthaunt.com/ and have made some images for other haunts http://www.myspace.com/deadlandterror so I have a grasp on how to do some cool stuff, I just don't want to short change myself OR rip the guy off.

What do you guys thing a fair price is for a logo? website? and fliers?

Front Yard Fright
09-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Anyone have any sugguestions??

themagicofjustinarrigo
09-08-2009, 09:46 AM
That's tough for someone other than yourself to determine. Cost is usually determined by experience, quality, and time put into something. If you dont really have much experience doing something, than you should not charge as much as the more experienced guys. I went to a local print and design company and asked them to come up with a business card for me, I gave them all of the information I wanted on the card, and told them they had creative freedom to come up with what they wanted. When I went to approve the design, I was in shock. It looked like they went on to freebusinesscards.com and just inputted my information to a basic template, it was black and white, with nothing but text, and they said the design cost was $150, and to print 1000 it would be $150. I laughed and left.

Then I contacted Rogues Hollow, and gave them the same information that I gave the local company. What they came up with blew my mind. It was double sided, full color, and extremely creative. Then they gave me the cost, it was $100 for the design, and $100 to print up 2500 glossy double sided cards, then something like $10 for shipping. I have used them several times since and have been more than pleased. I would have been happy to pay them more what the local company was trying to charge me, because the product was worth it. But they charged only a fraction of it.

So what it comes down to is what you and the client can agree on is a reasonable amount for the work done and the quality of the work. In all of my business ventures as a magician, a DJ and a haunt designer and builder, before I charge someone, I like to think about how much I would be willing to pay someone for what I am providing, then I get a pretty good idea of what to charge. Have I over charged, sure, it happens, mostly in the begining of my career, but I never saw those customers again. Once I smartened up, and learned how to charge the right price for the service I was providing, I see these customers all the time, they come back to me year after year, sometimes even month after month. I'd rather have a customer for life than make a quick buck!

Also, dont take advantage of people who are naieve to what you are doing. If you are going to design a poster for someone, and it is going to take you 2 hours, but in their heads, they dont know any better and think it is going to take you 8 hours, dont charge them for what they think, charge them for what they are getting. Many business's get a bad rep, like the car business for example, because of bad business practices like this. Provide good service, good quality, at a good price, and you will be a good business, and oh by the way a good person. If you design a business card for a DJ like myself and you gave me a good deal and an awesome product, guess what is going to happen if you ever came to me and want me to DJ your wedding? Your going to get the same service and quality at a fair price as you provided for me. Same goes for any business!

Just be fair!

Justin

Brutal Industries
09-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Usually you price yourself depending on your experience, your talent, your business, and overhead. If you are just some guy who does this type of thing on the side and really don't have any professional experience, then you would typically charge much less than someone who does this type of work for a living.

If you want to make a living doing this, you set your pricing on what you want to make per year. Do you have a studio that you need to pay for or just working from your home? Internet, supplies, equipment, etc.. all of that stuff needs to be brought into your pricing.

Personally, I do this for a living. I have a degree in graphic design, a studio, multiple computers, laptops, high-end video and photography equipment, plus 10 years of graphic design experience. Ive worked for big advertising agency's here in Dallas and worked with clients ranging from Dr. Pepper and Zales to Haunted Houses across the nation. Ive charged from $300 for a logo to $2000. Thats where the logo usage and type of industry take place.

So coming up with your pricing really depends on all of those factors. If you are good at what you do, dont sell yourself short. If you are just wanting to build on your portfolio or get more experience, then you can do the project for much less just for the experience and learning process.

so hope this helps and good luck!

shawnc
09-08-2009, 01:58 PM
A lot depends on how fancy you plan on getting. A logo can be anything from the name in an unusual font with a couple of different colors in it to something very elaborate with a character(s) in it fading out into the name. Look at the HauntWorld logo at the top of the page. You have the name but you also have the flaming pumpkin and skulls and background. How long it takes you can make the difference between two minutes and two days.

Same for websites. You can design something simple with just a couple of pages in a few minutes or create a 20-page site with tons of graphics, music, video, etc. that might take a week.

It really boils down to what your capabilities are and what the haunt owner is expecting and willing to pay.