PDA

View Full Version : Needing any help that I can get!!!

the jackel
09-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Literally for the past year(since last Halloween) I have been on the go trying to figure out how to go about opening a haunted house...I have talked to friends who know nothing about it, I have chatted with a few people that I've met on-line...the list goes on and on...but here I am a year later not further along than I was a year ago except that I have all of these images and ideas in my head of the "perfect haunted house" and no idea of how to turn them into a reality. I have chased down more dead end roads than I know what to do with. I've spoke with insurance agencies who tell me that there is nothing that they can do until I actually have it up and going, I have other people tell me that you need money and lots of it along with a building...I can't get money because I don't have a building to know how many square feet I have and I can't get a building because I don't have money...or enough of it!! I am struggling here and would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions that anyone has to offer. I had really thought that I could put a group of people together to help make this a reality, each with their own specialty, but that wasn't exactly a go plan eather. What I do have is a passion for this and live in a town where a good haunted house is needed...HELP!!! :confused:

Jim Warfield
09-28-2009, 01:25 AM
Rent a field next to a good road.
Buy one 4 by 8 sheet of plywood.
Paint it white,
Paint black letters on it saying "Now Open! The Newly discovered Archelogical Dig Graveyard"
Buy a shovel.
Dig some holes.
Have a carload price.
Have lots of parking.
Give some bums free sleeping spaces in the holes you dug.
Handle the ticket money yourself.
Let the urban myth begin!!
Send me 3% of your gross for my help, Thank you.
Put the dirt back in the holes November 1st before the first frost.
You may only see this as a joke...but then really think about the possibilitys.
Sometimes money accumulates by what you don't spend.

WelchWitch
09-28-2009, 12:17 PM
For me, I would think if I wanted to open my own house, I would work for other houses from start up to learn and see what is all needed. There is so much behind the scenes that they do, so many little things that add to the whole experience, that unless you are with the great minds from the start through the whole season, there might not ever be a simple answer to this question. You have to have a sick and twisted mind for sure. Money and a building is a given, but you have to go through the good and the bad experiences, that I am sure are too many to list, that these awesome owners go through to know if it is for you or not. So my advice would be find a haunt that would let you learn, work for them, offer to help them build from start to finish and then branch out from there.

hsmag
09-28-2009, 12:30 PM
BEFORE you jump feet first into the haunt waters I would HIGHLY suggest purchasing and reading Kelly Allen's book: So You Want To Be A Haunt Entrepreneur!

This book talks about how he went about successfully starting his own haunted attraction and is filled with priceless knowledge. Things like how he got a loan approved for his haunt, getting sponsors, marketing tips and much more! You can order it at http://hauntbook.com

He also wrote a companion book on how to assemble and manage your fright team which comes with a cd-rom full of documents you can edit, print out and use in your own attractions (cast party announcements, cast applications, etc)

If you're looking to get into the haunt business, read all you can, talk to everyone you can and learn everything you can and start with this book.

Hope this helps

themagicofjustinarrigo
09-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Passion is all well and good, however without experience all the passion and money in the world will be useless to you. Take the Welchwitch's advice, find somewhere else to work to gain experience. You need to have business management skills, safety code knowledge, design skills, construction abilities, scene decoration skills, scare placement knowlegde, artistic abilities, lighting and sound experience, special effects experience, costume and make up design knowledge, acting skills, the list goes on and on. The haunted house business is like every other business in the world, but it is completley different than any other business in the world at the same time. Get involved, get experience, then think about opening your own.
Justin

brad
09-28-2009, 12:58 PM
I came up with the idea of starting my own haunt about 11 years ago. And now, this year, is my 1st professional haunt Im opening. It took me that long to get it done.

I spent lots of money going to the different conventions and I talked to countless # of people asking questions and taking notes. I stayed as involved in the industry as possible. I've been buying props and costumes and makeup and tons of other supplies over the past 11 years.

You have to have the passion to do it. This cant just be an easy money maker for you. If it was, you probably wouldn't make any money at it.

This is a year round process and it needs to be treated that way.

Just stay involved, and soak up as much as you can along the way. If it takes you a few years, then so be it. It will be worth it in the long run.

shredman
10-01-2009, 02:45 PM
try doing a home haunt the first year. do some research and you will get there. this year, i am doing a home haunt myself

chuck weber
10-01-2009, 04:58 PM
do a home haunt first. make the mistakes there. buy Kelly's book. It is the bible of haunting. take your time, man.... I can tell you're young and hungry with lots of energy. GREAT! BUT...

take your time and do things right. You gotta be careful. You can get sued in a heartbeat for the simplest things and it won't be fun anymore.... have all your bases covered. The only way you can do this is by getting experience. Work at a haunt. Get your knowledge there. You'll have plenty of time to make your masterpiece.... I wish you only the best my friend. Good Luck! Keep asking questions here. There are alot of very bright people here on these forums who WILL help you.. Take care.