PDA

View Full Version : today was not a good day

hauntedghost
10-06-2009, 05:41 AM
well, i know that from beening in the haunt industy as a actor. the haunt i work at, had to close today because of no costmers. has this happened to you??

we got our make-up on and was out there for about 45 mins. then our casting dirctor came and said to go home.. it was sad but good for some but bad to others. so do you think mondays should be open or closed??

also is it because costmers don't want to come on mondays or any of the week days?? need some help here..

thanks,
HG

Allen H
10-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Most haunts are not open on mondays, its very hard to draw in customers then. Many haunts have even dropped Thursdays and sundays and are staying open only on fridays and saturdays.
that fact that you are open on a monday tells me that your cast is volunteer, maybe not since they sent you home so quickly.
Maybe if the haunt were in Vegas or New york city it could do well on a mon night but even then it would be a slow night.

Howie Slobber Erlich
10-06-2009, 08:31 AM
We had customers call us last Sunday asking if we were open for sure. They told us that they just went to another haunt and when they got there they were told they had closed early due to bad weather. The fact is we had perfect weather they closed because they had no customers. I assured them we were open. I think it's horrible for a haunt to close early due to lack of customers. You don't know how far your customers may have come to visit your haunt just to find that you have closed early. We were not very busy on Sunday either. In fact, it was one of the slowest nights I have ever had. I could have closed early just to save on payroll and other expenses. I could have lied to our customers and said it was due to weather or a power outage. Instead we remained open until our advertised closing time of 12:00am. Just before midnight six cars pulled in with 26 people who had come from the other haunt that closed early. It did not make it a great night for us we still only ended up with a couple hundred people for the entire night. But, what made the night worth while for me was the final group thanking us for being open on a slow Sunday night. They told us due to their work schedules, Sunday's are the only nights they could make it out. If a haunt can't afford to be open on a slow night then they should only open on the weekends. Don't take it out on your customers by closing early.

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
Owner
Deadly Intentions - City of the Living Dead
www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com

Jim Warfield
10-06-2009, 08:33 PM
"Monday Night Football?"
Our Fridays can be slow because of high school football...?
Being open all year long I think sometimes we get slow here during October because people know they can come here the rest of the year.
I have had some very busy Monday nights during the year because many restaurants close on Mondays and their employees make the trip here then, or so it seems.

hauntedghost
10-07-2009, 06:16 AM
Most haunts are not open on mondays, its very hard to draw in customers then. Many haunts have even dropped Thursdays and sundays and are staying open only on fridays and saturdays.
that fact that you are open on a monday tells me that your cast is volunteer, maybe not since they sent you home so quickly.
Maybe if the haunt were in Vegas or New york city it could do well on a mon night but even then it would be a slow night.

we were not volunteers, it's a paying job. and the other thing is that this haunt is closed on sundays due to there belief. I don't mind that we are closed on sundays because it gives me a good day off. I work out there 6 nights a week. we did get payed for a hour. tonight we did get some people in today but it was only like 20 people came.. we have one small haunt that's indoor and one big outdoor haunt. it sits on a 20-35 acre so land. this past weekend was redrum due to schools out on a 4 day weekend. do you guys think that its fair to turn volunteers away from working?? and have you ever guys didn't hire your vets actors because they wanted more money in there pay checks??

thanks,
HG

Jim Warfield
10-08-2009, 12:14 PM
The quality (bankability) of the actor, and the show you are trying to put on is a relative, sliding , fluid thing, we all know that, but as someone providing the "check", you have to weigh these intangebles constantly, otherwise a bad rap from the customers can kill the show, illreguardless of all the $ spent on props, or advertising.
Would you buy the cheapest brand of paint to paint your house?
Fixed-up to sell or own for the next 25 years would influence that spending choice for most of us.
We paid towards actor's gas money last year since gas prices were so high.
Or maybe purchase a dozen monkeys, put them in small cages around the place and be done?
No monkeys allowed in the ticket booth, though! Monkeys in the bedroom? "HHMMM?"
If you allow a monkey in the bedroom, the ticket booth is it's next stop.
Making change with bananas and half/bananas is very messy, your Bank won't like it much.

HauntedMemphis
10-08-2009, 02:02 PM
we were not volunteers, it's a paying job. and the other thing is that this haunt is closed on sundays due to there belief. I don't mind that we are closed on sundays because it gives me a good day off. I work out there 6 nights a week. we did get payed for a hour. tonight we did get some people in today but it was only like 20 people came.. we have one small haunt that's indoor and one big outdoor haunt. it sits on a 20-35 acre so land. this past weekend was redrum due to schools out on a 4 day weekend. do you guys think that its fair to turn volunteers away from working?? and have you ever guys didn't hire your vets actors because they wanted more money in there pay checks??

thanks,
HG

Sounds to me like if anything, this haunt is spending too much on actors, and should have considered spending more of their budget on marketing and business management.

Closing instead of losing money night in and night out sounds like the correct solution, although the best call would have only been opening a couple nights a week (Fri/Sat) instead of 6 days a week anyway. 1/3 of the costs for actors, without lowering their rate. You could even spend 50% more per hour per actor to get veteran or better quality actors in this case, and they'd stll have half the acting budget. (This assumes they use the same number of actors on each of the 6 nights now.)

I could definately see not paying extra for veteran actors if there isn't going to be an audience anyway. Being a veteran is helpful, but really it comes down to whether that veteran actor will make a difference attracting more guests. I think there is definately a return on investment argument that can be made there, but it's really going to be a case by case basis, and the haunt owner will know the situation best.