PDA

View Full Version : Pet Peeves!!

WelchWitch
10-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Ok, here is my biggest pet peeves in working in Haunts. Come on, let's vent it out! We will feel better. What are yours?

If you do not want to go to a haunt, if it doesn't scare you, if you think it is stupid, if you think you are too "manly", are in a foul mood, don't have a date and no one loves you, haven't taken a shower and you stink, haven't talked to your friend in forever and see them for the first time that night and need to get caught up on your lives and talk throughout the haunt, if you are 25 going on 6 and like to whisper then giggle (yes folks giggle, not laugh), Have small genitalia and have to over compensate by being a total ass in front of the other sex, would rather walk through the house with hands in your pockets and not look at anything, bring kids who are having fun, but have parents that get pissed at you cause you just sacred their kid and push you, and the most important one is..... drum roll please.... if you have a 7 year old kid who is scared of "Mickey Mouse" and yells I don't want to go in crying and screaming, but yet you still make them go through to only laugh at them while they pee in their pants and are then tarnished for life to only become a flasher when they grow up with weird body twitches and talk to themselves as they flash themselves to others... DO NOT COME TO THE HOUSE folks. You will only create a bad vibe and ruin it for all those that love this! Whew...Ok I feel better!

Nightmare_Trance
10-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Wow WW... why don't you tell us how you really feel?

WelchWitch
10-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Sorry, it just seemed that they all came on the same night and I needed to vent. So I guess you don't have any nights like that?

Allen H
10-09-2009, 01:14 PM
I try to think of it as that is those people way of having fun, I do the same show for them as everyone else. I pretend inside they are having a great time and it does not get to me like it used to.

Dr. Giggles
10-10-2009, 03:07 PM
My favorite is the overprotectiv boyfriend, I would come lurching from my place and a good bunch of screams with my face restraint on. I come out pretty fast, and I start a beeline towards this one girl that was incredibly rude to me when I was scaring in line. Her boyfriend seemed ok with it, then to prove his masculinity shoulder checked me into the wall. Course' his masculinity facade dropped like a rock once I assumed my full height from my hunched over character (6'5, without boots, with boots 6'6).
I hate guys like that, ones who have to act like douches for lack of better words. Those are the guys that really get to me. I havn't been busting my ass for 8 hours and many groups before you to take that.
And the oh so original "Your breath smells!" "Oh that was sooo much funnier when the group before you said it, work on your delivery".
Oh and to clear it up, My breath DOESNT smell. I brush my teeth just before I leave for the haunt and frequently eat tic tacs. Mainly because i think they taste good, and the mint taste can help keep me up. Wierd I know.

HauntedMemphis
10-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Ok, here is my biggest pet peeves in working in Haunts. Come on, let's vent it out! We will feel better. What are yours?

If you do not want to go to a haunt, if it doesn't scare you, if you think it is stupid, if you think you are too "manly", are in a foul mood, don't have a date and no one loves you, haven't taken a shower and you stink, haven't talked to your friend in forever and see them for the first time that night and need to get caught up on your lives and talk throughout the haunt, if you are 25 going on 6 and like to whisper then giggle (yes folks giggle, not laugh), Have small genitalia and have to over compensate by being a total ass in front of the other sex, would rather walk through the house with hands in your pockets and not look at anything, bring kids who are having fun, but have parents that get pissed at you cause you just sacred their kid and push you, and the most important one is..... drum roll please.... if you have a 7 year old kid who is scared of "Mickey Mouse" and yells I don't want to go in crying and screaming, but yet you still make them go through to only laugh at them while they pee in their pants and are then tarnished for life to only become a flasher when they grow up with weird body twitches and talk to themselves as they flash themselves to others... DO NOT COME TO THE HOUSE folks. You will only create a bad vibe and ruin it for all those that love this! Whew...Ok I feel better!

So, in summary the pet peeves are:
-People who don't get scared
-People who do get scared
-People who bring people who get scared
-People who don't bring a date

Did I miss any?

ZodiacWarrior
10-12-2009, 04:23 AM
I hate the people who show up just to heckle. I also hate the abusive drunk morons who think it's funny to act macho and come into OUR place of business and get physical with anyone who so much as breaths in their direction. For example, there was a guy who shoved one of the people from the outside souvenir photo company into a wall because she (yes, SHE) took the picture, thus setting off the air blast for the scare. Basically my biggest pet peeves can be summarized into one category as "troublemakers". It boggles my mind and really bugs me when I see people come through our mazes who are TRYING to irritate my fellow actors and myself, especially because there are a lot of young first time actors at the haunt I currently work for.

OdetteDespairr
10-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Smelly breath can be fun. Get right in someones face with some nasty breath and listen to the comments its hysterical. We eat pickles before we go out then brush our teeth directly after.

Jackie
Rotting Flesh Radio

ZodiacWarrior
10-13-2009, 07:31 AM
I'd like to add to my list of pet peeves the guests that read the instructions for my room, in which there is a small hallway to the left where a monitor is activated by a button on my end of the area. TO THE LEFT. I swear the schools in Southern California must be getting worse, because 80 percent of the people look to the right, and barely even look around the room to see if anything is happening. Is the difference between left and right really that hard?

Nightmare_Trance
10-13-2009, 01:48 PM
WW-
I agree 100% with you, but was just caught off guard by the number of peeves in the post.

My biggest pet peeve is the drunks. If you can hardly walk straight, you may want to reconsider going into a haunted house with shaking, dropping, and slanted floors... my 2 cents.

WelchWitch
10-13-2009, 03:13 PM
LMAO Zodiac, I did something last night that makes me relate to what you said. A few of us actors went out haunted house hopping and when we first entered into the haunt you are in a large foyer, I was in the front and I just stopped and made everyone wait, I did not see anywhere to go that is open, so I figure they are going to talk to us first, then after couple of minutes you hear a growl to say "open the door" I never felt so stupid in my life and almost peed in my pants laughing so hard cause funny thing was on the flippen door it said open if you dare! Being an actor for many years I feel the same way as you. But something changes when you are on the other end. You lose all sense of smartness or direction. Something about being in that haunted house that makes us all stupid.

Ghoultastic
10-13-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm not sure if I understand the "Dont bring a date" pet peeve..

I'm not involved in any haunts this year, but will probably spend it reviewing haunts in the Chicago area since its been awhile since I've been here during the halloween season. I love haunts for the environment, love to go see how a haunt has flexed its creative hand through construction and costumes, and usually am difficult to scare (haha, but who can't be scared by the 'surprise' scares?). I just hope that my fascination by the industry/interest in rather a mask was latex or something else, won't be misconstrued as something else.

but yes, in the past drunk teenagers are usually the vain of haunt existence. As well as though who find it 'cool' to swear and insult actors when really they're just scared!

Dr. Giggles
10-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Its not so much as a pet peeve as something I jsut dont get. Why do people pay to come in then hide themselves in their hoods. I will just stand out front and charge 15 bucks and cover their eyes for 30 minutes.

jack
10-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Generally, I treat the 'I'm not scared' or 'You're not scary' folks as what they are--scared people who are too scared to admit it. If I've got them long enough I make them feel it.

And the ones that hide their eyes are a goldmine....

"Don't hide your eyes, I can help, just pull that hood back and let me rip them out.....then you'll never see anything scary again. I love to suck the juice from fresh eyes....the ones cook serves are too chewy, no pop!"

And a line that has served me well--

"You'd look gorgeous on the back of a milk carton......missing...presumed dead" and then some laughing and talking to yourself..."oh you won't be dead...but you'll wish that you were..." and then some laughter and a final rush to chase them from the room.

The peeve, the biggest peeve, are the hitters.

ZodiacWarrior
10-13-2009, 05:32 PM
LMAO Zodiac, I did something last night that makes me relate to what you said. A few of us actors went out haunted house hopping and when we first entered into the haunt you are in a large foyer, I was in the front and I just stopped and made everyone wait, I did not see anywhere to go that is open, so I figure they are going to talk to us first, then after couple of minutes you hear a growl to say "open the door" I never felt so stupid in my life and almost peed in my pants laughing so hard cause funny thing was on the flippen door it said open if you dare! Being an actor for many years I feel the same way as you. But something changes when you are on the other end. You lose all sense of smartness or direction. Something about being in that haunted house that makes us all stupid.

Yeah, I could see that. lol. I think the annoyance at our guest is more the fact that we have giant letter's with an arrow painted so that after reading the directions for the button, you can see it in the monitor due to the fact that the camera is infrared, thus you know where to go and yet they still miss the point of the button entirely. I do love hearing them try to read it and replacing "monitor" with "monster" or "left" with "feet" or the such. They disorient themselves at that point, which is when I sneak up and kinda lurk there until they see me which (after they pick themselves up off the ground or out of the dark corner) is when I simply point them in the right direction.

Warren Vanderdark
10-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Among my favorites (?) are:

1) Big Caveman Boyfriend - We've all seen him, the one who looks like he spends 5 hours a
day in the gym and has exercised every muscle in his body ex-
cept the one between his ears. You make the statement to the
group that they might get touched by some of the characters and
Big Caveman Boyfriend goes "NO, no one touch woman! MY woman!
Me HIT anyone who touch woman!". These type of guys rarely see
the entire haunt, because they're getting hustled out a side exit
2 minutes in.

2) Litigitous Princess - The one who's busy with an incredibly important phone call while
you're talking and then goes "Whaaa?!" when you mention a
certain rule that might somehow rock her little world. This is
followed by the proclamation "I'll sue!!". THIS is the kind of
person who has made me try to get the haunt owner to issue
tazers to the cast members.

Nightmare_Trance
10-14-2009, 08:30 AM
LOL... tazers would add a new element to the scare.

IHAUNT
10-14-2009, 02:11 PM
The biggest haunt pet peeve for me is...

Actors who don't stay in their assigned scare spots & decide to roam the haunt leaving their assigned spot empty.

Every group coming thru a haunt deserves to get the same show as the previous group.

Our haunt has very little "DOWN TIME" between groups as we are a pre-ticketed event so there really isn't any time for actors to get bored.

Don't know why they do it but it still occasionally happens.

I blame it on MTV!

Tom

ZodiacWarrior
10-15-2009, 06:04 AM

Actors who don't stay in their assigned scare spots & decide to roam the haunt leaving their assigned spot empty.

Every group coming thru a haunt deserves to get the same show as the previous group.

Our haunt has very little "DOWN TIME" between groups as we are a pre-ticketed event so there really isn't any time for actors to get bored.

I blame it on MTV!

Tom

THIS.

I agree with that pet peeve TOTALLY. The haunt I work at is volunteer and thus uses the local high school to fill most of the spots, as we have 4-5 theaters in a former movie theater's worth of space and the first weekend we were operating, there were I believe 8 refunds we had to issue (and I won't get into the damage to costumes) to guests because ALL the kids had left their spots and were all in one box. 6 kids, and all 6 were sent home before closing the same day.

HauntedMemphis
10-19-2009, 02:50 PM

I blame it on MTV!

Tom

The funny thing with this one in my experience is that it seems to be the veterans who are the worst offenders here. New actors tend to do what they are told, and are more concerned about whether they are doing a good job, or forgetting what they were supposed to do. Veterans get more bold and freelance more, including moving out of their areas to other areas.

Scareside
10-19-2009, 07:22 PM
In my little home haunt I brought through a test group and (again like above) they wouldn't open the door to the haunt at the end of the preshow where it said to open it. So I had to go back and make the door an Automatic Pnumatic Door just so they would continue through the haunt.

stapleton13
10-24-2009, 12:00 AM
if it doesn't scare you

In the defense of people that don't scare easily. I am one of these guys. Only because I have done this for so long, and have gone to more haunts than I can count. I do love a good scare, but for me it must be new. I expect most scares now days. I mainly go to look at the work others do, and seek inspiration.

I remember the last scare vividly. I was walking down a path toward a barn at a haunt in Denver when a tall pile of 55 gallon drums had been rigged to collapse. I almost hit the ground.

Myron

drkside77
10-30-2009, 10:21 AM
I really hate it when you have one of those patrons who are hell bent on touching you no matter how much you tell them not too. Im doing crowd control one night and this girl keeps asking if she could touch me, I say no several times. This doesnt stop her from inching her nasty finger closer to my face until I have to scream at her to back up. Its moments like that that make me wanna throttle people through a wall! "sigh" gives me a good reason to send an 8 pearson group in two by two though :D

ZodiacWarrior
11-01-2009, 06:41 AM
I'd like to add drunken idiots to my list of pet peeves. The rowdy ones who aren't breaking things or being violent, especially. They weren't high on my list originally, until two groups of them went through tonight. I got groped twice. And I'm a dude, who does NOT look whatsoever like a girl.

hauntedghost
11-02-2009, 07:15 AM
people who say...

I'll sue...

how much do you make?

can i marry you?

how do i get a job here?

OR people who does..

the "party boy"

take pics of you..

use there cell phones as a light

you know the rest.....

HG

ZodiacWarrior
11-02-2009, 03:30 PM
use there cell phones as a light

I agree with that one a hundred and twenty percent, considering the room I was in was pitch black with just a focused black light over the directions for the gimmick in that room and it really needed to be as dark as possible for the effect to really do what it's meant to. However, I still scared the idiots with their cell phones out because it's a blind corner and I hide in the middle of the pitch black walkway. If I saw a light coming and it wasn't one of the staff, I'd just come right up next to the blind corner and wait for them to turn with their phones. I made some dude almost drop his iPhone. lol.

Also, I'd like to bump drunks a few notches up on my list after Halloween. lol.

And people who can't follow directions.

Jim Warfield
11-09-2009, 12:44 AM
Yes I know or have endured most if not all of these peevie situations. (Being open almost every night of the year for 21 years gives one such an opportunity.)
Drunks don't get in if they are loud, aggressive or have trouble walking. Happy drunks are fine but if they ask to drop out of the tour or say they might feel sick , they go out the nearest door real fast (I don't like cleaning up puke, do you?)
"Hecklers"..hahahah! I eat them ALIVE! Right infront of their family and friends!
I sometimes make them look stupid by pretending to be more stupid than they are, which may come across as a very passive-aggressive solution.
I perfected doing a trick which used to have the "Macho" boyfriend in my face or with a fist drawn back ready to punch me but testing various procedures over the years I found a perfect mix and approach alternating insanity (mine) with goofy humor with the actual implied threat= no more attitude or fist threats.
I have had the time and the freedom to figure out many such things that most of you have not , I really do realise this and am not trying to brag or belittle because most could have also accomplished the same results given my advantages.
I think customers do behave better for me simply because they are not actively traveling at any given pace through my house, I control their freedom of movement here and most immeadiately realise this, hence , better behavior.
I usually lead the entire group through the entire house. I own the place. Another advantage with heckler-wanna-bees.
Maybe these mentioned items give me more advantage, maybe at 60 yrs. of age, they give me more respect than you young whipper-snappers?
I could be their Father, Grandfather, or a combination -a mean, abusive Father plus an aultzheimers Grandfather!
After insulting them, if they still are causing problems, I walk them out for the sake of the other customers and the quality of entertainment I am attempting to provide the group with.
Some horrible scary parents of small children seem to fall victim here to scares too, sometimes manifested by the helpers here, sometimes by their kids helped to make this happen by our helpers.
I usually never get anyone asking me "How much do you make?" Probably thanks to some local barstoolers nearby (who have never been in my house) who loudly inform everyone that I make "Millions" doing this!?
The personally hysterical thing is, they were saying this when I began here when admission was $2.oo a person and I was running the place all by myself and the tours here have to be "Guided" and have never been quicker (even back then) than a min. of 35 minutes, somehow my math doesn't even come close to "Millions"?

ZodiacWarrior
11-10-2009, 02:31 AM
I think that the "courage" the drunken idiots and hooligans have with us in most haunts comes from the fact that they KNOW we're low on the totem pole for the most part. I'm lucky enough to have been moving up in pecking order along with my friends and my brother due to being knowledgeable and having done this for a couple of years. But to the drunks and thugs, they assume we're just another faceless worker they're never gonna see again in all likelyhood.

soultrkr
11-10-2009, 08:34 AM
I don't really have much in this category I would say billigerant drunks maybe it but that's what we have plain clothes police officers for.

Jim Warfield
11-10-2009, 07:35 PM
There may seem to be no Police anywhere around my house but response time can be as little as 10 seconds!
It's a small town of sleeping elderly with the County Sherriff's office maybe 500 feet away.
It's always so amusing when a "drunk" finds sobriety as the front fender of the squad car is coming around the corner. It can be like flipping a switch!
Faux-drunks?
Sometimes.

iscarepeople
11-13-2009, 10:40 AM
I love the people who do the whole "I'll sue!" I've escorted these people right out the door. I had a lady one night catch me in a bad mood. (Got kicked, and groped many times that night) I came out of the act and hauled her right out a access door. Her and her friends (all minors) were caught drinking anyways. I've been kicked,groped, grabbed, punched, and had my picture taken. My other pet peeve is smokers. I'm a smoker but I'm smart enough not to light up in a shed full of dry hay. They get all pissed off when you tell them to put it out.

Jim Warfield
11-16-2009, 03:44 AM
To put out their cigerettes, just always carry a loaded squirt gun.
Have a warning sign explaining what wet thing will happen to them if they insist upon smoking.
I stil like the Steve Martin line when someones asks:"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"Not if you don't mind if I fart!"

soultrkr
11-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Hmm wonder if they would let me get away with a super soaker for those people.

Badger
11-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Post a sign: "Smokers will be assumed to be on fire and will have copious amounts of water dumped on them".

kymberli23
11-18-2009, 11:34 AM
My biggest peeve is people that spit in my face. Totally uncalled for and unsanitary.

My peeve with other actors is when they come out of their scene to mess up mine. This was an on-going problem this year, even when they put different guys in the scene before mine. Very frustrating.

Jim Warfield
11-20-2009, 03:27 AM
I have been running my house nearly alone for the majority of the year until September, so I have had ample opportunities to figure out what works best here, I am open to improvision by my hired seasonal help...but if their way doesn't work, then I would Really like them to do it My Way....
One guy was doing what I told him to do except he would make this "Argh!" sound as he did what I told him to do, which immeadiately alerts the customer:"There's some idiot about to try to scare me who just went "Argh!" That ended the possibilty of any scare for 99 out of 100 people.
Why do I build and figure stuff out if someone else is going to totally ruin it? Somebody I am paying money?
Very frustrating.

kymberli23
11-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Why do I build and figure stuff out if someone else is going to totally ruin it? Somebody I am paying money?

This is exactly how I would feel if I were the owner. Both places I've worked for didn't bother to give enough explaination to the actors about rules and/or how to work the scene. Mark that as my pet peeve for owners.

Jim Warfield
11-21-2009, 01:29 AM
"Push this button."
"OK."
"Then stick your hand in here and wiggle it."
"OK."

Later: "Why didn't you push the button?"
"Duh?'
"Why didn't you wiggle that thing with your hand?"
"DUH?"
"#^^?!#%$&**!!"(Cussing now!)

Kelly Anderson
11-23-2009, 05:36 PM
How about the actors that no matter how many times you tell them not to scare on stairs, they just cant figure it out. I realize that some people figure this out at different rates of speed than others, so I try and be patient and paint a not-so-pretty picture of what terrible thing could happen if you frighten a person on a stair case and they loose their balance and........well you know......fall down.....un heard of, I know.

We also had some people this year that really liked to get sarcastic about sitting on the bench seat in my room in our haunt. Ya see we tell people before they enter the building that they can not touch any of the props. So when they entered the room and they wouldnt sit down on their own, I had to tell them to sit down. This one girl very sarcastically said,"Ahh, we are'nt supossed to touch the props". Being Im soooo witty and great with the come backs, I said " You can touch this one". That could be taken SOOOOO wrong.. HA

Jim Warfield
12-09-2009, 02:12 PM
That just because someone is the well-dressed grandfather of the people in a group that he won't unscrew the light bulb at the top of the stairs when the stairway is full of people.

I also could not believe it when I found him tossing my cat, Mr. Tuxedo, down a crawlspace like he was a stuffed toy.

I guess I was at fault because these things happened when I was very new at all of this.
I "assumed" and was proven wrong.
I made a razor cage around the light bulb ("Go ahead, just make a quick grab for that bulb now!")

Johnny Thunder
01-25-2011, 10:54 AM
Pretty much the same as everyone who posted -

1. Yelling “I see you.”
2. Saying over and over “You’re not scary.”
3. Customers on cell phones. Really?
4. Spitting in your face. Only happened once but wasn’t pleasant.
5. Being hit. Thankfully, it only happened once and the customer was genuinely scared, so it was a reflexive action and not deliberate, but it still kind of stung!
6. Drunks. ‘Nuff said!
7. Customers who touch/sit/abuse the props in the scene.
8. Being asked how tall I am. I know that sounds petty but c'mon!!

Soul Reaper
01-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Couple of my peeves are.

1. The guy the swings to hit what ever just scared the crap out of him. If it is an automatic reation to swing at someone or something the just pop out at you. Then why go to a haunted house where you know that actors and props are going to jump out at you.

2. The ones that leave there spot to go visit with friends or to try to flirt with the cute actress. Usally being a highschool kid. If you want to visit or flirt GO DO IT SOMEWHERE ELSE......PLEASE. Don't do it in the haunt where people usally pay good money to be scared. And not wanting to see you try to get layed. I sent one packing for trying that a couple of years ago. Told him this is not the place for that crap.

3. The actors that know the haunt opens at a certain time and yet try to show up at that time and think that they are going to get into make up and work that night. I think not, the show can, must and will go on with out you.

Jim Warfield
01-28-2011, 01:06 AM
happen because so many people have a failure in their imagination department.
Like the driver who passes on a hill in a double yellow striped no passing zone. Their imagination just failed to imagine that some other driver might be coming over that hill in the other lane. This is exhibited by those who can't see what is wrong with scaring people on stairs.
"What? What could happen?"= no imagination.
"You are now fired, done here, don't come back."
"Why?"
"Imagine that you were me, You're the boss, owner ,and you need some people to work for you, work with you. You don't even imagine what that would be like? You will have to be doing the thinking for us both, this saves repitition of thinking.

The clock is at 6:59, we open at 7:00, it's the busiest night of the year, we already have the first 3 tours sold, tickets in their hand, I just quickly checked everyone, they all seem to know what to do....As I have the big front door unlocked, my young employee steps between us and wants to engage me in conversation about some TV show from last night?
I was so frustrated and pist at him!

Johnny Thunder
01-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Another one that may have already been mentioned -

One person in a group (usually a teen dude) runs ahead through the scene, leaving his friends behind - and he hides/stakes out a position to try to scare them before the actor(s) are able to do so.

I told these kids not to quit their day job.

jasonswoods14
01-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Hmmm, well, I work in the clown skit on the hay ride at Field Of Screams in Lancaster, PA. In the skit, we have a machine that sprays foam on the wagon as it leaves. Guests LOVE to throw this foam at the actors.Now, KEEP IN MIND that this foam is FREEZING. Put that on top of acting on the hayride in 30 degree weather for 9 hours a night.

Jim Warfield
02-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Their time, possible fun experiences, themselves.
Last night two yard haunters were here who have been to a couple of Transworlds and took a bus ride to see The Darkness. They said there were some people on that bus who were consuming incredible amounts of alcohol,.....maybe someone else paid their way? They really didn't want to be there?
I was minorly amazed at this. spending such time and money to just get wasted, they could have done this at home, if they had one?
Many years ago as a large group left my kitchen I discover the antique kitchen sink there is almost full of fresh, reddish PUKE!? (Lucky it was a single-basin) Unlucky for me at that time the sink was still just a prop, a prop Not hooked up to any plumbing!!??
What Now!? Another group is due into the kitchen in a minute or so!
I grabbed a scrap of cardboard, a Magic marker and wrote "Free Puke! Take Some" Fortunately it didn't reek.
"Look at that, it almost looks "real". I heard some customers remark.
By asking them to "Take some" worked it's reverse-psychology magic, nobody touched it.