PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare New England/Spooky World

themagicofjustinarrigo
10-13-2009, 01:38 PM
I made a trip up to Litchfield NH last night to check out the all new Nightmare New England and Spooky World now combined to one location. Picture this, Mike “Tattoo” Krausert, John “Professor Nightmare” Denley, Rich “Horror Master” Hanf, and Ed “The Cannon” Gannon to name a few, all in one location at one time! It can’t get anymore badass than that, can it? Located in the forest along the banks of the Merrimack Valley River, less than an hour from Boston, this place is a fear aficionado’s dream. 7 haunted houses in one location! Yes I said 7, and every one of them is of the highest quality. A lot of places I have visited will advertise multiple attractions, and more often than not, there is one main attraction, and the others are all short little fillers to boost up the ticket price. Not here, at NNE/SW every one of their attractions could be used as top quality stand alone event! Here is a list of the attractions:
-Buried Alive
-Raven`s Claw Cemetery
-Night Feeders
-House of Eternal Darkness
-Demented
-The 3D Freakshow
-Sleep Stalkers

When you first arrive it seems like a fun carnival like atmosphere, a midway full of games, a rock wall, a mechanical bull, dunk the clown, zombie paintball, a live band and many food and drink vendors. But the tables turn quickly as you are surprised by one of their many roaming characters like LOBO, or Pissah the Clown! They have some of the best costumed characters that you will see anywhere, completely interactive, scaring people as they walk through the midway or wait in line! You always have to keep your eyes and ears open, because you never know what is going to sneak up on you next.

The first thing you will notice about each of the attractions is how incredibly detailed they are. I am an eye candy junky, and they had so much to look at, you can’t possibly see everything just by going through once. They have an awesome collection of antiques, scenery, props and animatronics. Everything from real antique medical equipment, to antique furniture, to high tech pneumatic animations, they don’t leave any room s just dark here, they are all themed to the from the ground to the ceiling. They do an amazing job sticking to the theme in each attraction.

The scares are very carefully though out, just as you think you have discovered where they are coming from next, bang, they get you from somewhere else. Above, below and all around, the scares seem to come from everywhere. Some haunts will design and build their maze, then decide where the scares are going to come from, but it is clear that they put a tremendous amount of time in coming up with the methods of scaring the same person over and over in a different way each time. Which leads to the actors, the meat and potato’s of the event. They are all top notch, I don’t know how they go about finding this many great performers in a small NH town, but they did it. They are full of energy and creativity, and do a good job sticking to character at all times. They interacted in a way that was not insulting (like a lot of haunt actors tend to be), but were creepy and entertaining at the same time!

The sound effects, music and sometimes lack of sound was fabulous. Setting the perfect mood for what was happening or about to happen in each scene. The lighting was also perfect, allowing you to see just enough, but not too much of anything or anyone. I was also amazed at how well they hid the lighting fixtures, it’s always a big turn off for me when you walk into a scene and see a pin spot screwed to the wall. They did so well with the placement of the lighting that I never really noticed that there were any light fixtures at all, as far as my eyes were concerned, the light was just there.

The attractions all get 10 out of 10 from me, on all levels. They are a healthy combo of fun and fear. They combine new hi end technology with classic and traditional scare tactics to create an atmosphere that will satisfy even the most hardcore Halloween, horror and haunt fans. My personal favorite was Raven’s Claw Cemetery! To me there is nothing scarier than being out in the woods at night time. Thanks Tattoo, your a great guy, and your hospitality is greatly appreciated! The only change I would make would be to add a new hayride next year!

Tattoo
10-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks Justin!

This has definitely been a year to remember, there are a lot of talented people that have joined our team this year, in addition to everyone you mentioned above, several of the Bad Boys have relocated here as well. I also have crew members from several haunts around New England working with us.
I will post photos and video from our season soon, we have a very talented team of make-up artists and wardrobe personal that have helped bring us to the next level!
I hope everyone is having a great season and I wish you all the best for continued success and a safe finish to the year.

We now have over 130 actors to get ready nightly, here are a few photos. (Photos courtesy of Jayna Lloyd Photography)

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs237.snc1/8430_1218597178889_1047676056_694803_5725269_n.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs256.snc1/10322_1222930607222_1047676056_707975_239289_n.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs276.snc1/10322_1222930487219_1047676056_707972_3233717_n.jp g

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs214.snc1/8118_1242713429154_1268905376_1234671_3975658_n.jp g

Take care and Happy Halloween,

Tattoo

Nightmare_Trance
10-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Tattoo,

The pictures are great! Congrats on the job you are doing up there and keep up the amazing work.

Lookin' foward to seeing more pictures when you get a chance.