PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone think about this???

drfrightner
10-14-2009, 07:30 AM
As I stated I've been learning A LOT about the web over the past few months and you will see MANY MANY CHANGES to the site over the next month or so. Starting with the look and feel of the site moving away from too scary to something more in the middle. What do you think of this new look for Hauntworld? This is just a piece but I really want to know what you think????

Larry

drfrightner
10-14-2009, 07:33 AM
Make sure you blow it up by clicking on it... hit me back with your comments and your feedback. Also tell me what you think Hauntworld is missing or needs more of...

I can't tell you much but this site will be so jam packed with content, so jam packed with stuff to see, feel and touch there won't be another place on the web like it ever again.

I have to keep those things secret until its all done but right now I'm more concerned with what the site looks like.

Thanks
Larry

HauntedDeadEnd
10-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Looks great. I think the "O" in World should be the pumpkin that you currently have. I think too much yellow in the font its not catching my attention but it is a cleaner font compared to the current one. The rest looks awesome much cleaner. Great job.

graystone
10-14-2009, 08:35 AM
I like the one you have now much better I love the flaming evil pumpkin and the dead trees and fog. Have you thought about keeping that and changing the font of HauntWorld? never cared for that. Shane and its just my thoughts. Shane this time.

Nightmare_Trance
10-14-2009, 08:43 AM
I like the background of the new one, but I'm not a big fan of the font.

Gahaunter
10-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Since you asked for honest feeback...here goes. Don't like it. Extremely lackluster and too generic!!! Looks like it belongs to some Candy Company like Nestle or Hershey's promoting their Halloween candy sales.

Gahaunter

drfrightner
10-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Wow...okay. LOL

I don't totally disagree but I will tell you this its not the final version I'm already having it changed based on what I think about it. But I'd like to get your feedback rather than lackluster tell what you think it should have, or shouldn't or how it can be improved.

Thanks Shane for your comments and thanks for the idea about the "O" good idea...

Larry

Kelly Anderson
10-14-2009, 09:00 AM
I really like the background image. The font is pretty cool too BUT you need to do something with the color of the text. I like the pumkin idea to stay with the "O".

Kelly

themagicofjustinarrigo
10-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Like it except for the characters in front of the house, they look to kidish.
Justin

Brutal Industries
10-14-2009, 09:49 AM
This is what im thinking..

It really depends on the direction you are going with the new HauntWorld.com.

The new banner and logo work pretty well for a very child friendly blog spot. For the majority of vendors and haunted houses on this site, for the most part they work hard to make their image not exactly child friendly.

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of HauntWorld are haunted houses. Haunted houses are for teens to adults. Dark, scary, extreme, etc.. The purpose is to scare and have fun. So when I see little children trick or treating on the banner, I feel like its going to a whole different direction.

If thats the case then I think it works with a little fine tuning. Will vendors with these dark, scary, or gorey banners have to tone their's down?

Just curious...

Terrorknight
10-14-2009, 10:01 AM
I like the look of the banner , expect the HauntWorld part it's way to clip art looking. But I don't like it for your website it doesn't send the message of what HauntWorld is, to me.

Jonathan
10-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Okay,

I deal with this daily for clients.

I personally don't like it at all. I mean for a fan site, or blogspot or halloween enthusiast it is perfect.

But it seems very generic. The imagery looks cool, but it is imagery we have seen time and time again from haunted house"y" sites.

As for the logotype. I suggest never to change your logotype. It is what people know. It brands you. Branding is what makes HW what it is, not redesign after redesign.

If you are going more in this direction, I think you need to make it more of a variation of what you currently endorse, have, and offer to haunters. Take that and move it forward.

Think Fed EX for example. "Federal Express" is a trademark logotype with the registered arrow as their mark. When they decided to move it forward, they took that and went with that. Now we have "FedEx" not federal express (their real government name) and the arrow still exists between the E and the X.

Anyhoo, enough of my rambling if you ever want to discuss it more Larry, feel free to contact me. Like I said, just my ramblings, but it is what I have done for 13+ yrs and counting.

HauntedDeadEnd
10-14-2009, 10:27 AM
I think a new scarier font with the "o" as the original pumpkin since that pumpkin represents Haunt world a place for the industry looking for scares. Fonts are endless I am sure it is hard to pick the best font but http://www.1001freefonts.com/ or maybe a scary movie font would look nice. The background I like I agree the trick or treaters are kidish and doesn't represent the site unless you bringg them up close and have people enter the door in the scariest outfits to show this place is a forum for scares.

Speculo
10-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Yep. Kind of hard to tone down the site when you have bloody monsters and exposed brains on banners - Perhaps you have common areas that are a little toned down but this is a home to many horror/haunt fans who may not like these kind of changes....

Thanks!

maliciousstudios
10-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Do we have to wear the Mickey Mouse Ears Too ?

lol.... okay you may throw rocks at me...Im done for now.
OF COURSE IM JUST JOKING.... but I don't agree with the change ... ( not that my opinion matters ) but I do agree it makes Hauntworld look like it sold out or has become Disney-ized there is WAY to much gore to loog G rated now isn't there ?

LMFAO

Im gonna have to scrap my banners I just finished
DAMN... ( oops... I mean GOSH DARN IT )

LMFAO

P.S. I agree about changing logos.... they tend to confuse people and look less professional.

Just my .02

TerrorNightMare14
10-14-2009, 12:51 PM
i agree with most .... i dont like the yellow font stick with the original you have and the pumpkin too the background looks really good though

IHAUNT
10-14-2009, 01:09 PM
I like the current one much better. This one is too cutesy.

I believe if someone is searching for haunted houses they are going to want or expect dark & scary.

My 2..............

Tom.

www.HauntedOverload.com

Gahaunter
10-14-2009, 04:37 PM
But I'd like to get your feedback rather than lackluster tell what you think it should have, or shouldn't or how it can be improved.

Ok...since my comments were too generic (much like I feel the new logo is) I'll be more specific so you can have better feedback.

I'm no Brainstorm Studios so take my comments as just another persons opinion....As I haunter, I dislike it intently. No offense to the graphic artist(s) that worked on but here's why it's not working for me:

First what are you selling? It's not very clear-cut. It's so ambigious and vague it can be anything from a fall carnival to listings of pumpkin patches (which I know the site does endorse). Those events though are not the mainstay here. I do like the flaming pumpkin from BS but does it suggest haunted house to me? Not totally but a little more so than the current proposal. I do, feel it sells more the idea of horror/terror, as the attractions on this site are trying to sell, more than this new logo.

The colors (red-ish and yellow) are ok, but I really dig the brown/grey background mist we currently have. The new just seems less Halloween and more Harvest-fest to me. The current HW logo is yellowy-orange and looks more Halloween oriented. The only thing that signifies haunted attraction, it is the old house and the graveyard. With the kids in the front it looks more like an edorsement for neighboorhood trick or treating or some sort of candy ad. It's looks very juvenille.

How exactly does it convey the message of Haunted Attractions or Haunted Attraction Industry? Sure there's the spooky old house but every greeting card company, candy manufacturer, costume company, features some sort of the same such generic art during October. It doens't exactly say, ok this is horror related. It looks like a Halloween (holiday not movie) fan-site.

I agree with Jonathan about not changing your logo. Small tweaks here and there are ok. A total overhaul usually follows some major slick p.r. that takes a while to catch on. The new logo is kinda, well boring. (Sorry...that's a personal opinion) It looks like the same generic Halloween font that can be downloaded online. The 'o' looks like the skull of Ike (Kyle's little brother on South Park). Way too cartoony. LOL If this was the way your old logo's and page looked like from say 5-7 years ago I'd say ok. But it looks like a total regression of the work you currently have.

I understand from a marketing viewpoint you are wanting to attract more mainstream audience. I support that. I don't believe it to be be selling out or Disney-fying things like some have suggested. However, we are in the business to scare. That's not for everyone. It certainly won't help to lure people here with guise of being totally family "kiddie" friendly when a lot of the haunts here are PG-13 or above. Let's face it, we scare people and enjoy doing it. The haunts are horror themed buisnesses and are the sites main attractions. Other fall activites, while fun, are listed on the site, but not the main focus. Unless of course you're changing the sites content and focus as well.

Bottom line: It's not my intention to piss anyone off or to offend. I hope I have given you more of an open, honest opinion/more detailed feedback of why I think it doesn't work. I think the populace of the site will probably agree as it sounds like most do already.

Thanks,

Gahaunter

Gahaunter
10-14-2009, 04:46 PM
But I'd like to get your feedback rather than lackluster tell what you think it should have, or shouldn't or how it can be improved.

Ok...since my comments were too generic (much like I feel the new logo is) I'll be more specific so you can have better feedback.

I'm no Brainstorm Studios so take my comments as just another persons opinion....As I haunter, I dislike it intently. No offense to the graphic artist(s) that worked on but here's why it's not working for me:

First what are you selling? It's not very clear-cut. It's so ambigious and vague it can be anything from a fall carnival to listings of pumpkin patches (which I know the site does endorse). Those events though are not the mainstay here. I do like the flaming pumpkin from BS but does it suggest haunted house to me? Not totally but a little more so than the current proposal. I do, feel it sells more the idea of horror/terror, as the attractions on this site are trying to sell, more than this new logo.

The colors (red-ish and yellow) are ok, but I really dig the brown/grey background mist we currently have. The new just seems less Halloween and more Harvest-fest to me. The current HW logo is yellowy-orange and looks more Halloween oriented. The only thing that signifies haunted attraction, it is the old house and the graveyard. With the kids in the front it looks more like an edorsement for neighboorhood trick or treating or some sort of candy ad. It's looks very juvenille.

How exactly does it convey the message of Haunted Attractions or Haunted Attraction Industry? Sure there's the sppoky old house but every greeting card company, candy manufacturer, costume company, features some sort of the same such generic art during October. It doens't exactly say, ok this is horror related. It looks like a Halloween (holiday not movie) fan-site.

I agree with Jonathan about not changing your logo. Small tweaks here and there are ok. A total overhaul usually follows some major slick p.r. that takes a while to catch on. The new logo is kinda, well boring. (Sorry...that's a personal opinion) It looks like the same generic Halloween font that can be downloaded online. The 'o' looks like the skull of Ike (Kyle's little brother on South Park). Way too cartoony. LOL If this was the way your old logo's and page looked like from say 5-7 years ago I'd say ok. But it looks like a total regression of the work you currently have.

I understand from a marketing viewpoint you are wanting to attract more mainstream audience. I support that. I don't believe it to be be selling out or Disney-fying things like some have suggested. However, we are in the business to scare. That's not for everyone. It certainly won't help to lure people here with guise of being totally family "kiddie" friendly when a lot of the haunts here are PG-13 or above. Let's face it, we scare people and enjoy doing it. The haunts are horror themed buisnesses are your main event. Other fall activites while fun are listed on the site, but not the main focus. Unless of course you're changing the sites content and focus as well.

Bottom line: It's not my intention to piss anyone. I hope I have given you more of an open, honest opinion/more detailed feedback of why I think it doesn't work. I think the populace of the site will probably agree as it sounds like most do already.

Thanks,

Gahaunter

drfrightner
10-14-2009, 06:50 PM
No mas no mas... Lol

i don't think i can take being beat up on anymore today. Lol

prepare for version two!

Larry

DDJR
10-14-2009, 07:11 PM
I am guessing this toned down versions is directed to those patrons looking for a house to come to might I suggest two different sites . Lets face it did this site not start for the enthuisest.

freak 'n' stein
10-14-2009, 07:22 PM
The new font has a comic-book feel to me. Like some are saying, it will work if the entire new site has that feel. I REALLY like the pumpkin and skulls on the old design. I think because the new font seems "matte" in comparison to the 3D pop the background has, it makes it look kinda outta place and forced...

...my .02

drfrightner
10-15-2009, 12:42 AM
It looks like an old an old throw back 50's horror movie poster but not its not the final version a newer version is coming and then we'll get your new feedback and views.

When I first saw it I didn't think it looked complete so we'll give this another crack. Thanks for your feedback!

Larry

badass
10-15-2009, 12:59 AM
change is a good thing...

but the old font with pumpkin head is Great...
Can i borrow it?? haha..
no really..can i..??
just jokin...but..hmm

Jolly Pumpkin
10-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I think it looks very generic to be quite honest. I think it's smart that you are trying to appeal to more then haunters, but you may end up pissing off some of your adverisers if you make a drastic change. I like the current design, but I think it was better a few years ago when the header had more detail and was flash. If you are trying to focus on Halloween more than Haunted Houses, then the new design is good, but could be a lot better. I think you need a design that is a mix between Halloween and Haunted Houses. And if the new design is a throwback to old 50's movie posters then you are going to have people thinking this site mostly focuses on horror movies instead of haunted houses.

damon carson
10-20-2009, 10:40 PM
I like the font personally but not for this website. You have to stay with what works. And the Hauntworld logo and pumpkin has been the cornerstone for sometime now. I like the mansion and backdrop ect. Not crazy for the other mansion right next too it. Its cool but you need to take it off or put a smaller not as cool house since the trick or treaters are going to the one haunted house. Just my input.
Damon