Spark Fence Help!
Ok so I am pretty sure I know why this is not working, but I wanted to pick everyone else's brains before I returned the battery charger I purchased. The battery charger is http://www.sears.com/diehard-10-2-50...1&blockType=G1
It has a 50 amp engine start feature. I originally thought that would be enough current to throw off some sparks. I get nothing. So my thought is I need something around 150 amp engine start. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
I appreciate all the input.
Darkness Rising Haunted Attraction
Darkness you get sparks out of any amp charger you can use a 6 amp. The problem is you may have is not amps it that that charger has a self protect circuit shutting it down and you need a cheep one like the one they sell at Harbor Freight that don,t have one. good luck.
Phatman is correct. That charger has spark proof protection built into it. You do not need a ton of amps (higher amperage can be dangerous) just a charger without a safety circuit.
I agree what they said and also make sure it is grounded good and where your ground connection is make sure its clean from rust or whatever cause a bad ground connection can make it not spark also
I purchased one from Harbor Freight today and it doesn't work either. They all seem to have that spark protection. Does anyone know which ones are ok to use.
What do you mean by ground? Am I supposed to ground the fence? Like a ground for your home electric?
Darkness, for my spark fence I have an old heavy duty charger that I got off of Craigslist. Try looking on eBay or Craiglist for a old battery charger. I actually found the exact one I currently use on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mont...item35caf3328c) Course I paid $20 for mine! And what 43 means is to make sure the negative clamp has a secure connection to bare metal. If there is any paint or rust, I recommend getting an abrasive grinder and grinding the area down to shiny metal for the clamp. I find with new chargers now they are designed to either prevent short circuits/sparks or fail quickly if you short it out for a long duration; that's why I prefer old ones since no safety features (fuses) exist. Course that being said make sure you have it plugged into a grounded outlet!
I figured it out. I was able to use a transformer from some old landscape lighting. It works pretty well. Its only 1amp at 12 volts and I put a foot pedal control on it. The only issue I am having is the breaker on the unit keeps popping after I do it to long. Anybody know if I remove that breaker from the unit and solder it closed if it will be ok and then unit will hold up?
Thanks for everyone's help so far.