HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

View Poll Results: Are chainsaws needed in a haunted house?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yup! Gotta have em to scare!

41 32.54%
  • Yeah, but we don't rely on them.

46 36.51%
  • No, but they don't hurt!

28 22.22%
  • NO. Never had them, never will.

11 8.73%

Thread: Chainsaws - Yes or No?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Default Chainsaws - Yes or No? 
    Ever since I started my haunt I've always been against chainsaws. I personally think they are overdone in the haunt industry, and are, in my eyes, a cheap scare. However, the more I visit haunts, and the more I hear about what people like, it seems like chainsaws are just the way to go.

I'm in the process of planning my pro haunt for next year and I'm looking for your opinions on this. Are chainsaws needed in a pro haunt?

2. Default Chinsaws! 
    Chainsaws are great! From the ones I went to the haunt that used ONLY ONE chainsaw scare that is strategically placed is amazing! Yet I went to another and they used about 5 and it just wasn't scary.
    Matthew Colton
    Frightworld America's Screampark
    http://www.frightworld.com/

3. Default  
    I think as long as it's one, maybe two and outside or as the scare out of the maze and it's fine. Anymore than that and it just ruins the build to it.

4. Default chain saws 
    We have used them but these days they have to be outside or one of the fake ones you can buy at the tradeshows.

Our story line is set in 1904 and since they hadn't been invented yet, they are not in our haunt.
    Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
    Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Haunted Cave, Fort Wayne Indiana

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.facebook.com/hauntedcave

5. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Forsaken Crypt View Post
    Chainsaws are great! From the ones I went to the haunt that used ONLY ONE chainsaw scare that is strategically placed is amazing! Yet I went to another and they used about 5 and it just wasn't scary.
    House of Horrors in Buffalo, NY incorporated their chainsaw in a great spot in their Haunt! Kudos to Tim bunch and his staff!

6. Default  
    Pretty much anything that makes a lot of noise is good if used in the right spot. We've had good success using a pneumatic air chisel hammer tool on the side of a barrel. It makes a ton of noise, uses compressed air, is very compact, and is easy to use. I just bought a new one at a hardware store for $19.99. They will typically last about two seasons.

7. Default  
    There's a haunt down in SC (which I won't name) that goes completely over the top with chainsaws. I think they use one in EVERY scene for the pop scare. It may be a local thing because they draw decent numbers, but I also think it's a cheap scare.

I used to use a leaf blower for noise and I found it just as effective.

8. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    There's a haunt down in SC (which I won't name) that goes completely over the top with chainsaws. I think they use one in EVERY scene for the pop scare. It may be a local thing because they draw decent numbers, but I also think it's a cheap scare.

I used to use a leaf blower for noise and I found it just as effective.
    Do name! Do name!! I'd like to pay them a visit. Our haunt crew visited Phobia here in Columbia two weekends ago and they didn't have one at all - show was NOT good. We visited Gilbert's #1 House of Terror this past Sunday and they used a few in different places but their show was AMAZING!!! We use one for the main scare and our show gets rave reviews. Where is this haunt, cause I wanna visit...PM ME?!
    O'Shawn McClendon
    Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

9. Default  
    I run a small charity haunt in NJ and we were totally against the use of chainsaw. It didn't fit our theme and there didn't seem to be a reason we would need it however..our que line runs right up against some woodlands and we deployed a chainsaw actor from out of the woods up to unexpecting que line guests and they seemed to love it so I think it is all in how you use it. You can't please everyone but it's hard not to take advantage of a scare like that when you have a group of huddled teenagers that are already scared waiting in line!

www.grimlocmanor.com

10. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Frightguy1 View Post
    I run a small charity haunt in NJ and we were totally against the use of chainsaw. It didn't fit our theme and there didn't seem to be a reason we would need it however..our que line runs right up against some woodlands and we deployed a chainsaw actor from out of the woods up to unexpecting que line guests and they seemed to love it so I think it is all in how you use it. You can't please everyone but it's hard not to take advantage of a scare like that when you have a group of huddled teenagers that are already scared waiting in line!

www.grimlocmanor.com
    I wholly agree with you. I think haunts just need to be mindful of whether it works for an area or with a character or not.

Thread Information