HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

View Poll Results: What is the most important factor in creating a sucessful house haunt?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • scenery/fascades

49 32.03%
  • sound

10 6.54%
  • fog/lighting

7 4.58%
  • props

15 9.80%
  • actors

72 47.06%

Thread: HOW TO BUILD A HOUSE HAUNT

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default my haunt sucks 
    im new to the whole house Haunt but i have got an old spooky house no electricity and abt 5 acres what can i do with this please help ops: ops:

2. Default  
    Hey Pumkin Jack

There are so many things I could do with
    an old house and 5 acres.
    Wow where to start?

I sent you a PM
    Gary
    Midnight Evil Productions
    www.MidnightEvil.com
    Owner/Operator of www.CoffinCreek.com/
    www.Twitter.com/CoffinCreek

3. Default  
    Pumpkin Jack: got the book. Lisa Cantrell, "Torments".

A book about a walk through charity haunted house
    The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

4. Default  
    Well, although props and scenery look good, you need lighting first, and enough of it since the guests have to see where they're walking. You can create many cool effects w/ strobes and lighting alone. Stuff some dummies w/ newspaper (old clothes) and light them eerie, use a boombox w/ some eerie sound fx. If u can afford $30, there's a good scare called a drop panel that u can build, I suggest u join Hauntworld, instead of using guest, much more features. Send me a PM w/ any specific questions when you do, I'd love to help.
    Slash

*PM me if you have any questions*

-If you fail to plan, plan to fail.
    -Don't drink the water in Mexico.
    -America: Love it or Leave it
    -In God We Trust, All Others Are Run Through NCIC
    -Gun Control: Use Two Hands

5. Default  
    AcorMAnner is right, you are going to have so much fun, my first haunt was an electric chair scene and a butcher. The electric chair was a dinner table chair w/ a strobe light, lol. My butcher scene was a table w/ blood on it, and my costume was a $20 mask (the most expenisve thing I bought), a bloody apron, and a plastic meat cleaver, and everyone came back next year, now I have absoloutly no breaks, they just keep coming.
    Slash

*PM me if you have any questions*

-If you fail to plan, plan to fail.
    -Don't drink the water in Mexico.
    -America: Love it or Leave it
    -In God We Trust, All Others Are Run Through NCIC
    -Gun Control: Use Two Hands

6. Default Re: my haunt sucks 
    Hey Pumkin Jack!

Nice picture... THE MANSE was a cool book.
    Guerilla Haunter

7. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    "Actor", is the automatically designated "fixer" of anything and everything that may not be quite up to speed or up to the customer's expectations.
    Quick wit, something to say, a story to tell, the style to tell it convincingly . The confidence to command everyone's attention with just a slight unusual sound or mannerism or posture.
    Some pro haunters were actually upset or scared the first time they came to see my house, it may have had something to do with convincing them that they were now locked in a house with a crazyman?
    Any "Threats" were totally implied , subtley, or were they actually threats?
    Good acting, huh? Or was it "acting?"
    For the first few years I had this house open I had almost nothing except some of my artwork hanging on the wall and I would then talk about it. Then I would walk people through my house telling them what I was going to do to certain rooms in the future, this was about it!
    It was a "Someday" tour/show...but those words of mine were not to be empty blabberings of a typical idiot, NO I was a special breed of idiot!
    After all these years one tape recorder still says:"This hallway is haunted...haunted by a $17.oo tape recorder, made in China! Chi-na!"
    You think I'm just kidding or something?
    I have my suspicions that the $17 Chinese tape recorder may be responsible for three untimely deaths!
    The front of the machine popped open and tape wound around a neck, strangling them in record time! (Which is hard for a tape to do since it's a tape and not a record!)

8. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by slash
    If u can afford $30, there's a good scare called a drop panel that u can build
    I would love to hear.

9. Default  
    How big did some of you guys get your home haunts before you moved them? I would love to have a stand alone yearly attraction, but I dont wanna get the cart before the horse.

10. Default  
    Another important thing is Warmers.

These are oft overlooked by haunted houses.

A warmer are people who go up and scare the people waiting in line. Even at a home haunt you will have a line.

A creepy clown, and scary costumed guy, a dude with a chain saw. Just something to scare the people in line with from time to time.

Why have warmers? To increase the fear level. If someone goes into a haunted house without being warmed up they will not be scared by the little things.

A properly warmed up person will be scared by their own foot falls, and then their expereince in your haunt is magnified!

Thread Information