HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

View Poll Results: Clowns or no clowns?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Gotta they have to have their own room

40 61.54%
  • Yes, but keep it confined to a hall

4 6.15%
  • Yes, but sprinkle them throughout

6 9.23%
  • Get rid of em!

15 23.08%

Thread: Clown area or no clown area?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Clown area or no clown area? 
    For years we have done a clown area. For the past 2 years it has been a clown themed hall, for 2 or more before that it was a full blown room. I am considering getting rid of the clown area next year and just dispersing some of our clown props throughout the house and having clowns up front as crowd entertainers. What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by SiouxFallsHaunt; 11-16-2009 at 04:00 PM.

2. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by SiouxFallsHaunt View Post
    For years we have done a clown area. For the past 2 years it has been a clown themed hall, for 2 or more before that it was a full blown room. I am considering getting rid of the clown area next year and just dispersing some of our clown props throughout the house and having clowns up front as crowd entertainers. What are your thoughts?
    I'm a theme guy...so I like clowns only if they fit the haunt. I hate seeing clowns in haunts (or scenes) where a clown has no business. They are great for carnival, circus, or similar themed haunts though.

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

3. Default  
    I agree about fiting the haunt. Does it fit into your haunts story line? is there a good reason for it to be in there? I prefer to think of a haunt as living a story.
    Proud to be able to work at
    http://www.haunted-hollow.com/

4. Default  
    I agree with finding a reason to fit a clown into your haunt, of course some haunts do multiple themes or themed rooms so there are many ways to fit a clown into a haunt, cue line is a great place to put a clown of course you always have to be careful to scare after tickets are bought and not before. In the end if it is working and people are not growing tired of it just play with it change it up but keep you clowns make them more sadistic or more abstract, play with the hall and room idea's to put a new spin on something that has been a good stand by for you. Clowns like chainsaws are one of those things that a lot of patrons expect to encounter, and in the end we are in the business of giving the people what they want.

5. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedMemphis View Post
    I'm a theme guy...so I like clowns only if they fit the haunt. I hate seeing clowns in haunts (or scenes) where a clown has no business. They are great for carnival, circus, or similar themed haunts though.
    I agree. We have an awesome haunt here in town that every year is a must see. It changes every year and remains intense. But for the last 2 seasons, regardless of the outside portion theme it finishes in a room that has clowns. To me the last room is one of the biggest rooms to finish the experience. I am pumped throughout to only be let down at that point. It didn't fit the theme at all. I told them this year, that since it is a small room, darken it more, add fog so you cant see then turn it into a tight spaced odd angle maze then make the walls have electric current on them and let people get shocked as they feel their way through it. It would add better then the clowns.
    ~WelchWitch

6. Default  
    I say ditch the clowns, they have become a haunted house crutch that to many people lean on. Then you can add them back in three years or so to spice things up.

7. Default  
    I feel that alot of regular customers have come to expect clowns form our haunt. People actually seem to get somewhat pissed when our walkaround clowns aren't there. I dunno if it's just that our clowns have worked up a reputation or if people just ALWAYS expect them but I know at our haunt, we won't get rid of our clowns anytime soon.

I also feel in regards to themed houses that most average customers do not realize if a house is themed. Some reviews we get mention rooms or situations that are so far off from what we actually have happening in the house, it astounds us.

8. Default  
    I'm not into the whole 3d Funhouse kind of clown thing, but I do like the more old, creepy carnival style or even have a room like a child's bedroom with lots of dolls and other things that are normally good but can be twisted if done the right way and with that you can add a clown or to with the right costume, not even a clown suit, maybe just a pair of old jeans or flannel shirt. Like Captain Spaulding style. I am designing a room for our haunt next year that will be a child's bedroom and the theme will be the kid has had a continuous nightmare where a crazed clown is hiding in the closet ( kind of the classic monster lurking in the kids closet) and when you walk into the bedroom you will find out that the boy's bad dream is REAL and you will have to walk through the closet with all the clothes racked up (it'll be pretty claustrophobic) and you will come face to face with Huebert the Clown. Anyways I've gone a little off with this, but bottom line is I think as longs as clowns are used the right way and they fit your theme they are great! I don't like the haunts that are ALL clowns though, I don't think you should over use them like that.

9. Default  
    I used to get scared of the small clown that sat in the chair in the movie Poltergeist. When the boy would was scared of it then it attacked, that freaked my crap out. Now not doing the "normal" clown thing would be cool and different.
    ~WelchWitch

10. Default  
    Ya, lol, that thing still probably creeps me out. I haven't seen that movie in forever, I need to watch it again.

Thread Information