HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: How High would you go?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default How High would you go? 
    So when it comes time to building wall panels, how tall would "you" build the panels?

2. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    To save lumber you could make them only 6 ft, you could make them 5 ft, most people won't be trying to scale them anyway, them somebody could hide and pop up for an anyplace scare if all the walls were 5 ft.
    "Last time he popped up and got me right here." Then he pops up over there!

3. Default  
    I use 8' walls throughout the haunt. I have 12' and 16' walls in the my pre-show "grand hall/lobby" area and my dining room scene has two massive 16' window towers.
    Kevin
    Sleepy Hollow Productions, LLC / Folklore Haunted House

4. Default  
    Most haunts I've seen and ours we build are 8ft. At the Darkness I think I've seen them use 12 ft walls and I have an idea how they do those. But they also build them to the ceiling as well. There interlocking wall system is also very impressive. No bracing involved! Larry should make a video on some of these building techniques alone. They could make a small mint from it. Some very impressive stuff.
    Damon
    Damon Carson

5. Default  
    Mr. Haunt -- Most walls are 8' high simply because most wall panels are made from standard sheets of plywood (4' X 8'). You can, of course, make walls any height that you choose, but if vary from the standard you are adding additional labor and expense.

Dave
    Lords of Chaos, LLC
    House of Chaos Haunted Attraction

6. Default  
    8' at the minimum... 4' x 8' is the general size for plywood and gipsom anyways, you'll save time and effort if you just utilize them the way they are.

I'm 6', 1" tall, I see over the top of a 6' panel with little effort...
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear."
    -H.P. Lovecraft

7. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    I have always wondered why the thin (crappy) osb wafer board is used, doubled up on two sides of a 2 by 4?
    If you wanted strength, thinner walls (easier to store and configure), why not use the albeit, more expensive per/sheet, but only use one sheet, of 3/4 inch plywood instead, it will take paint 50 times better, not be abrasive with flakes and be much quicker to build,easier to lay flat and store since no 2 by 4s would be used.

8. Default  
    We are a temporary haunt, everything gets tore down at the end of the year and put back together again the next year... I really don't feel like lugging around 3/4" plywood for 2 months. The skin on our walls is only 1/8" thick, our house gets the snot beat out of it and we've never had a problem with durability. If you just put some simple frame work inside the walls it won't break when impacted.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear."
    -H.P. Lovecraft

9. Default  
    Raycliff Manor Guest
    Damon said,

At the Darkness I think I've seen them use 12 ft walls and I have an idea how they do those. But they also build them to the ceiling as well. There interlocking wall system is also very impressive. No bracing involved! Larry should make a video on some of these building techniques alone.
    I'll second that motion! That's a great idea! I'd still love to see footage of the creation of the sets using the blown insulation foam as well!

Kel

10. Default  
    With a full time location you can go 16 - 20 feet tall with your scenes. Just keep in mind that if you ever lose your location moving these monsters is hellish if you don't build them with mobility in mind. Learning the hard way sucks..... :evil:

I have never seen a haunt in a non-full time location use more than an 8 foot wall system. I would like to see someone who has accomplished mobile, easy to use, sets over 8 foot.

.....and.... I wouldn't mind knowing how Larry built the Darkness stuff...

Thread Information