HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: What would you do?.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default  
    Just start calling people for estimates and we will see just how free it is. I'm guessing $800 to $1200 will make it work. A new 20,000 SF system would cost $50,000.

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

2. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    I think the whole "Don't Try This In Your Hometown" thing comes from the thinking of one man (who shall remain unnamed)
    I also believe this actually implies that the ones with the BIG DREAM of having a fabulously successfull haunted house also directly translates as having 3,000 paying customers /per/hour or more and the little small-town dreamer will not be seeing this ever come true in Hickville, USA because the sheer numbers just are not there, they are someplace else, obviously.
    If this is as far as your dream takes you, this thinking will be right, no denying it, but this dream belongs in someone else's dreamscape, someone wishing to be like the old Beagle Boys after Uncle Duck's fortune. This is all about "fortune", having the haunt is no more or less important than buying a tool , end of story.
    I could not have done anything without the support of a few people from my hometown, they knew me, had seen my work ethic for 15 years, this took the place of the impossible task of influencing some Banker, which seems to never happen for most wanna-be haunters , now does it?
    The fact that one of the two men backing my dream was a retired Banker, might make it all the more impressive?
    No, I had not been financially successfull , but I was honest and worked long and dilligently no matter how sweaty my armpits became or whether it was summer or winter, day or night, they respected that and finaced that.

3. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Warfield
    I think the whole "Don't Try This In Your Hometown" thing comes from the thinking of one man (who shall remain unnamed)
    I also believe this actually implies that the ones with the BIG DREAM of having a fabulously successfull haunted house also directly translates as having 3,000 paying customers /per/hour or more and the little small-town dreamer will not be seeing this ever come true in Hickville, USA because the sheer numbers just are not there, they are someplace else, obviously.
    If this is as far as your dream takes you, this thinking will be right, no denying it, but this dream belongs in someone else's dreamscape, someone wishing to be like the old Beagle Boys after Uncle Duck's fortune. This is all about "fortune", having the haunt is no more or less important than buying a tool , end of story.
    I could not have done anything without the support of a few people from my hometown, they knew me, had seen my work ethic for 15 years, this took the place of the impossible task of influencing some Banker, which seems to never happen for most wanna-be haunters , now does it?
    The fact that one of the two men backing my dream was a retired Banker, might make it all the more impressive?
    No, I had not been financially successfull , but I was honest and worked long and dilligently no matter how sweaty my armpits became or whether it was summer or winter, day or night, they respected that and finaced that.
    Bravo! Well said Jim,love the story even with the sweaty armpits.

4. Default  
    Manitowoc Wisconsin www.nightmarefactoryhaunt.com
    Nightmare wrote "It smells. lol" Hey, my friends at Dreamreapers have a side business selling smells for haunts. That is one less expense you would have,. :P
    www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

5. Default  
    Is this your 1st haunt? If it is, wow, what a great opportunity.

First of all, you'll have 8 months to get everything ready. Thats enough time to put together a pretty good show. Design your haunt with the intentions that you would be moving after the first season. Look at the head start you'll have. You can build a pretty good reputation and take that with you when you finally find your own permanent location.

Second, Whats in it for the landlord? Free is a good thing if its a good location. Spend your time putting together the best show you can and spend what would be your rent money for advertising.

Like Greg said, do the repairs on the sprinkler system and make sure everything is to code. Safety is the key when putting a lot of people through your haunt.

I was fortunate enough to have a friend let us use their land for 8 years. We eventually outgrew that location and had to move on to something else. It took me over 3 years analyzing 64 properties before we found our current location. Which is leased. I'd love to buy my own land but nothing is available in my area that could handle the amount of traffic and parking we generate. Not to mention enough land to handle the 27 scenes that we have. If it is available it's way more than I want to spend for a seasonal event. The land right across the street from us is about the same acreage we have and they are asking $800,000 for it and most of it is wetlands. But thats CT.

I think if the location is good it's a blessing. Your passion will allow you to create a good show. Run with it.

Good Luck!!

Wayne

6. Default  
    "Wetlands!" How many years would customers pay to see only "The Creature From The Wet Lagoon?"
    See the Creature roam and pillage!
    See the Creature tap dance!
    See the Creature recite lesson plans!
    See the Creature demonstrate which pimple cream works best for him!
    See the Creature explain his sea food diet.
    See the Creature sell you a time-share piece of wetlands.
    See the Creature eat a live chicken off the hood of your car!
    ("Is he really doing that , Daddy?")
    See the Creature eat the Geico Gecko!!!!! YES!

7. Default Be careful 
    There are several things that I would recommend before getting into this location.

1. If it is in the basement, does it have enough emergency exits to meet code. The zoning in most cities will have strict guidelines to how many people can be in a building with your use and they will need so many exits per the size of your building. In our City, a 20,000 sf building needs 6 to 7 exits. Crazy but better to be safe then sorry.

2. If it is an older building will it meet a seismic test. When you go from a building that was a manufacturer or office or storage or something in that area they tend to not have as strict of guidelines but when you cram 300 to 600 people at time in a large area then the City wants to make sure that the building will not fall down in case of seismic activity. At least that is how it is here.

Make sure that the location would work and meet all the codes before you sink money into it. Even if it is something that you try to use under the eyes of the law until the season of the haunt, don't spend money and precious time to fix something up that won't work.

As for your location....Don't under estimate the desire that people have to get scared. Most haunted attractions are not an impulse buy type of business. They are a business that people plan to attend hours before or days before. Very few visitors will come by without some type of planning. Its not Mcdonalds that will satisfy their palettes. Look at Disneyworld. Did Walt build that place in a convient location in Florida? Nope! He built it where he new he had plenty of cheap land. But the people came and the cities where built around him.

Remember you drive the customers desire not your frontage.

Ryan

8. Default  
    That frontage can entertain and stimulate those waiting customers. Building anticipation and expectations. Afterall these two things are vital to the whole haunted entertainment process.

9. Default I agree 
    Having a great business frontage and look is vital.... What I meant as frontage was perfect walmart style frontage from main roads that can be seen by thousands. Many popular resorts and theme parks are not seen from major roads and not seen as a impulse area. Very little people drive by disneyland and say "Hey I got an idea, let's go to that theme park over there, right now. Cuz they's got a funny lookin mouse to take pictures wit."

Great frontage is great to get the word out but not vital in this type business. The proper front of the actual building or entrance is ideal. You have to create a great look to improve the clients exectations. But if you were down an alley with creepy trees and rusted gates then it could improve your business (As long as people knew you were there)

Summary: You don't have to be on a major road to be successful in this type business, just have to be easy to find. People plan ahead to visit. Does anyone agree with me or am I just nuts?

Ryan

10. Default  
    You don't even want to know how many times I think...

"Man, oh how I could fill that old Wal-Mart with a GREAT haunt!"

I know of 4 EMPTY Wal-Mart buildings (vacant for years) that NO ONE will use. Why? Because the newer built Wal-Mart may shut them down! But a haunt in this type of building!.... LARRY!!! (screaming for the phone) LOL!

-Tyler

Thread Information