HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Music rights for a haunt

1. Default Music rights for a haunt 
    So I'm putting together an outdoor haunt for a local theatre company as a fundraiser for them. I wanted to do a Rocky Horror walk through that would include short bits of the music and some dialogue, maybe 20-minutes in total, if that. Anyone know if there would be any copyright issues? We will be charging but all funds going to the non-profit theatre.

2. Default Oh yeah 
    Yep - anytime you replay recorded music there are copyright issues. You need to buy a license from ASCAP and BMI, and possibly SECAP for just the limited times your are open. Don't even think about trying to fool them. My friend owns a campground, and they put on their newsletter they were going to have a Margaritaville themed golf cart parade. They got a call because they were going to play Buffett music.

My wife ran a night club for a decade, and she had to deal with this all of the time. Get the license and sleep well at night.
    Travis "Big T" Russell
    President
    Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Thread Information