HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Need quick schooling on haunted woods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Need quick schooling on haunted woods. 
    Trying to buy 50 acres right now ., offer out. Never been to a haunted woods but would like use the woods on the land. Never been to a haunted woods... Soooo anyone want to give me a quick scope on it. Do you have elec and air run the complete course $$$ or are you using generators at power points etc.. Is it all actor base or do you mix with animatronics etc. I'm sure everyone has their own thing I just want to know whats up in the firing line.
    How do you manage people sneaking in?
    I plan on ending it in a small fasade town.. So I don't even know what the popular wording would be??? Haunted woods, trail or scream park etc..
    Ugh!

2. Default  
    If I was building a haunted woods attraction... The first thing I would have done is visit a haunted attraction set in the woods...

As someone who started out as an actor, and someone currently saving to open a future haunted attraction, the one thing I CAN do is visit as many locations as I can to see what works, what doesn't, how it's done, etc (and for fun of course).

When I ran a woods event, electricity was wired throughout the entire course. Of course you will have to set up air compressors near any animatronics you have in the woods. But you could avoid that but using only actors. Yet you would still need to route electricity extensively for lighting and sound. It really is up to you to decide where and how to use actors or animatronics. That's where the visiting other haunts comes into play, to see what YOU think works best.

People sneaking in...Have your actors have walkie talkies behind the scenes to call the manager if someone is causing trouble. Walk through with a group on occasion to see what's going on. Fences work best, sometimes overnight security, depends what is most feasible for you.

Whatever you do, ensure what you build can withstand the weather, especially wind.

3. Default  
    Thanks .. I agree I should of visited a shot load of wood haunts but this situation came unexpected and I can run 2 of my other companies from that location cutting my current overhead in half.
    I may just starting building this year and then do visit studies this October. I will be running probably 50-75 animatronics.

Trying to get a little clue before this deal goes through.

Thanks for the input... More please!

4. Default Haunted Woods 
    Give me a buzz tomorrow and I can chat about several things with you. May have several ideas that could be a win win for both! 9316981664

5. Default  
    16 acres is a lot of area to cover. We run an outdoor/indoor attraction that uses 10 and we needed to hire an engineering firm to design our structured wiring/air systems. With 50-70 animatronics, (especially if they are to be placed sporadically throughout the area), it can get rather complicated. this is certainly true if most will require compressed air. There ended up being a lot more involved than what we originally anticipated in regards to power and air usage. At one point, we ran our entire operation from 2 20kw generators, and eventually had the local power company put in a much more efficient underground wiring system. This also allowed us to place larger compressors in a few strategic places, keeping our air line lengths to a minimum and allowing for a much more efficient operation.

This is certainly a great way to go, and entirely feasible and profitable. I would just suggest; however, that you talk with an engineer, an electrician, or even your local electric company to get a better idea.

Also, as a side note: We only run about 10 animatronics in the outside portions of our haunt. The rest is done by actors and/or static props. I don't know where your planning on opening the haunt, but it rains a fair amount where we are at. And, on nights that it does rain, we have to make sure our outdoor props are sheltered and/or covered and disabled so as not to ruin them. In addition, all of the props that we use outdoors are covered on a nightly basis after close. It takes roughly 45 minutes to cover and secure everything. Just something else I think you may want to consider.

We have never had any problems with people "sneaking" in, but I'm sure that's based on location and general accessibility.

Good luck with this project. I hope it all goes well!

6. Default  
    Thank you for your input. Highly appreciated!!!

7. Default  
    Woods are easy and cheap to theme because its dark and its already scary. Make sure you have a safe path for them to walk meaning roots and rocks and or stumps ar are removed. Man I'm going with lots of old houses, cabins, a Jason theme is easy as hell, witches think blair witch project, its pretty endless. Larry

8. Default  
    Thank you!

Im curious ...do you measure the size of your outdoor haunt by feet of the path? what would be a good size path/haunt for woods?

Is there any additional warnings you put on your warning signs? Like the ones at the Darkness warning of health risks.

9. Default  
    You might consider doing a search for posts by WickedFarmer and elowther. They both post a lot about outdoor haunts.

10. Default  
    Need to make a list of all the movies that took place in the woods those things are great inspirations... I'm going to break out Blair With Project again! This conversation has inspired me to find it and watch it... now my kids want to see it.

Larry

Thread Information