HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Survey Question:Ever been scared?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Default Survey Question:Ever been scared? 
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    While in your haunted house?
    Yes I have been.
    Details later.

2. Default  
    Not while working, but when walking through one night one of our actors took a completly creative spin on their assigned room and completly caught me off guared and made me jump.

3. Default  
    Did that "creative spin" become placed in the menu of the haunt?
    Being open every night of the year provides me with an incredible opportunity to experiment, refine, and explore new things and I love it!
    I also then have the time to learn alot from my customers too.

4. Default  
    i haven't but there has been times before were i did that to alot of my actors. it's fun when the new ones come in and don't know what's coming at them!!
    it's ok... the dark has many faces you can't see..

5. Default  
    Been startled a few times by people sneaking up behind me. Also been creeped out a few times. Truly scared, probably not but I have been made uncomfortable before...

6. Default  
    Many times been shutting off the lights in an attraction at one end and have to walk to the other....feeling like the darkness behind you is catching up with or clawing at you....some buildings worse than others. I had had one haunt where literally it made my heart race every time I was walking away in the dark.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
    -Mike "Pogo" Hach

7. Default A Couple Times a Year 
    I feel I am not alone in a room or part of my house, even though I sure seem to be the only one there. Maybe it's just a dampness inspired chill up my back?
    Sometimes I feel it is more.
    I unfairly unintentionally judge others by myself without thinking about it. I spent many years working alone in many basements on furnaces, boilers, plumbing, usually at night and most local basements have one light bulb per/room, if lucky.
    Two blocks from my Parent's home a woman came home from school as a grade schooler and found her Mother had hung herself in the basement, it didn't seem to bother that woman she lived in that house for the next 70? years.
    "Has anybody ever died in this house?"
    My house goes back to 1870, there were no hospitals or nursing homes back then, I am sure plenty of old houses saw death come to many as they were inside their walls.

8. Default Fear is now interest 
    I find it hard to become scared now. Though In my early years I was just a decorator and nearly S*** my pants once when I let my guard down at a haunt. Now however I find it hard to become scared but not impossible. Before now starting a haunt of my own or even before I got my chainsaw and just ran people off my lawn I helped a haunt in old town Temecula known as haunted old town when done. I would be there lab rat. When it was done I got complete access and I would pretend to be a victim and put my hood on. I knew every spot and I would go and scare the actors from behind. Now every haunt I go through I anger actors when I say "oh hello there" when they come out to scare. Though one time from behind me I heard a female go “he’s cute”. Then I worked at a home with a huge 20 year old haunt in his back yard. I nearly gave the owner a heart attack when working on it. Fear is something I find it more fascinating than horrifying and I try to study it when going through a haunt.

Anyone else feel the same?

9. Default "BIO", yes, fear is facsinating! 
    So many different ways it becomes expressed.
    Here in Ravens Grin we "Identify" a fear, laugh at it, then go on to something else. Which is incredibly cheap psycho therapy, as pointed out to me many years ago by a former classmate of mine who became a psychiatrist and author/lecturer.
    I love lulling them, having many lights "On", and still scaring them! Then watch and listen to them as they realise what scared them was as mundane, common and harmless as say, a garbage bag! (Just a garbage bag, with nothing in it.) (Or my face, no make-up!)
    Here is a real study point in fear: I was on one side of a big plexiglass display window, hidden out of sight as the lights blinked slowly off & on. A customer stopped to look in the window with his face very close to the plexiglass as the light blinked on and now I was perfectly lines up across from him eyeball to eyeball, retina to retina!
    I was the one doing the scare, yet what felt like some electrical current seemed to pass between us via this plexiglass-insulated connection via the eyes as the light blinked "On"!
    "WOW!!!"
    It was so incredible!

I also like to create a fearful concept that is not very normal...then give that an unexpected twist. It really gets people thinking (unless they just can't think at all anyway.)
    So the unusual occurs, they begin to anticipate what will befall them next, then something totally unexpected happens.
    My Brother and I worked some customers back and forth between us , it was classic and hysterical!
    I would be on one side of them first and scare them by just being there, then I would look passed them and get a look of fear on my face, they would turn to see what I was looking at, as my Brother came up on the other side with a white sheet over him, then he would take off the sheet , look back my way, they would turn their head and I would be gone! (Waiting to appear after they turned their head again toward my Brother! And of course scare them again!)
    It helped to have a very genuinely scary room wrapped around us all too. (The wine cellar)

10. Default  
    Yeah, I actually hadn't been acting or working a haunt for more than a couple of days when I realized that very little actually gets me spooked. A lot of that is because when going through any maze I look for what *I* would do to scare someone. lol. It's the stuff that even I don't expect that do get me and rarely do they do much more than make me startle a little or jump a little. lol.

Thread Information