HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: extension cords in pro haunts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default extension cords in pro haunts? 
    I am doing my first haunt and I may have to get inspected by the fire dept. or fire marshall.

Anyone had any problems with the use of extension cords?

2. Default  
    Plan on being inspected. As a pro , you really don't want to be on the fire or building depts. bad side. Do yourself a huge favor and do it by the book. And as far as extension cords go, fire inspectors don't like them , they would love to see as much hard wired as possible. At least from what I have experienced .
    Dave B

3. Default  
    use surge strips. check with the city most inspectors prefer heavy duty surge strips over extension cords and wall warts
    I'm only doing this to impress 2 people ... The fire marshal and the customer that's it !!!

4. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by scrymnstr View Post
    Plan on being inspected. As a pro , you really don't want to be on the fire or building depts. bad side. Do yourself a huge favor and do it by the book. And as far as extension cords go, fire inspectors don't like them , they would love to see as much hard wired as possible. At least from what I have experienced .
    Dave B
    ...this is absolutely true! Last season, we had to get rid of all extension cords. We hard wire a lot of the rooms, however, some places we have extension cords for ease of use. We weren't allowed to have cords, power strips or even power strips plugged into other power strips cause that is considered an extension cord! Best of luck to you!!
    O'Shawn McClendon
    Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

5. Default  
    We've been dealing with a strict Marshall the past 4 years. No cords allowed and all other 120v wire in conduit. This year most of our haunt is low voltage. Much easier and fire marshall friendly.

Vinny
    www.ArxMortis.com

6. Default  
    We were allowed to use metal shielded cable instead of conduit. Saves the huge pain of pulling wire. We had a fire chief that was so anti haunted attraction it was unreal. He was convinced that no matter what safety precautions were in place that all haunts were deathtraps.

7. Talking Extension Cords Can Be.... 
    Hey there,

Ethan from Hundred Acres Manor haunted house here. Just wanted to toss you a few tips with the use of extension cords in your haunt that has helped us out during inspections. Sorry if some of these sound kinda yah..duh lol but I figured I would include as much info as possible for you =)

1) Only use the (typically) orange extension cords with grounds. (Sometimes you can find these in black, green, etc. )

2) Avoid using splices and adapters. Try to avoid the use of the three plug splits etc.

3) If you must split a cord, use a surge protector but keep it safe from weather. Be sure that you do not connect a cord from a surge protector into another surge protector for additional outlets.

4) When using surge protectors keep in mind what you are plugging into them, three foggers are a big no-no.

5) Avoid wrapping or coiling live extensions. When in doubt, purchase an extension that fits the length that you need. Over shooting can be a trip or fire hazard.

6) Never use any sort of lamp cord (brown extension with out grounds).

7) Avoid extension to extension connections. This leaves space for potential water entry and shorts.

8) Check all of your cords prior to inspector to assure that they are properly secured to a surface with wire staples to they don't shift during operation.

9) Cover all outdoor connections (even if it is outdoor extensions) to prevent shorts.

I also strongly recommend the use of MiniSpots they are a cheap and very effective form of lighting that is all low voltage and much much safer than any traditional stage light. Last season we replaced all of our lighting with them and our inspector nearly gave me a hug lol.

In conclusion, extensions are never entirely avoidable but try to minimize your use and go directly to the wall outlet when possible and your inspector will be all smiles. Hope that helps a bit. Have a happy and safe haunting season.

Best Wishes,

Ethan Turon

www.HundredAcresManor.com

8. Default  
    Excellent advice Ethan! Getting thru an inspection can be a nerve racking experience. You never know what kind of hoop will get tossed up for you to jump thru. Good luck.
    Dave B

9. Default  
    Ethan is right an all accounts there. When we did ours last year, we had to use all orange extension cords (then again we are located outside).

10. Default  
    Indoor and outdoor venues are completely different creatures. I have done both. I would hate to have to bury all electric and follow the NEC ( national electric code) for an outdoor haunt. Indoors they tend to put more restrictions on.
    Dave B

Thread Information