HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Haunted Attraction Review

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Default Haunted Attraction Review 
    Hey All,
    Finally opened- HauntedAttractionReview.com
    is the number one website for reviews of Haunted Attractions in the Mid Atlantic region of the US!!!!

2. Default  
    Your site does not appear to work at the moment
    Brian Warner
    Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
    Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
    Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

3. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget-evilusions View Post
    Your site does not appear to work at the moment
    Just checked and the link should work... Here it is again...

http://www.hauntedattractionreview.com/

4. Default  
    I agree about the reviewer sites for companies, but having someone review a haunt and then make a website about it is slightly rediculous. I have been doing this for 10+ years as an amateur, but would never even CONSIDER rating a haunt if I myself haven't ever operated or owned one.

As much as I don't like Larry, his magazine gives great reviews of haunts, because they're reviewed by those who have been in the industry for many years, and covers all aspects.

Just my .02

5. Default  
    Also, the website isn't loading. Idk who your hosting is with, but you may want to consider someone more streamline like go daddy.

6. Exclamation  
    Here's my question to you guys. Doesn't the purpose of the rating site mostly dictate it's value or worth? There are to different opinions I'm hearing when I'm reading these post on this topic. Ratings by other industry professionals for other industry members or ratings by the public for the public which I think are both very valid.

1. Rating by Professionals for Professionals - These are the critiques of haunts by other haunt owners. Just like what HauntWorld and Haunted Attraction magazine provide. What haunt owners are doing that is bringing attention to their haunts and being critiqued by other haunts owners on innovation, design, and style.

2. Rating by the Public for the Public - These are the ratings by journalist working for any local newspaper, magazine, and online publication that gives their readers the opinion on where for this Halloween, if they have a family of 4 spending $15 dollars per person a total of $60 dollars for an hour of entertainment, where to get the most bang for their buck.

I don't think that you should have to be a haunt owner to write reviews of haunts for public publications. They have as much right to their opinion as anyone else considering their recommending what haunts to visit to get the most bang for their buck. But I agree with you if they want to write for an industry publication like HauntWorld or Haunted Attraction Magazine to rate and compare other haunts to one and another, then they should have a reasonable background working professionally in the haunt industry.

My day job is working in the entertainment industry mostly. I would never ask a journalist doing a review on a game for Microsoft or Sony if he/she has ever developed a 30 million dollar title before. I know he/she has probably played many video games before to be able to judge if the game he's reviewing for their publication sucks or not compared to the other games they've played.
    News and event coverage from directly inside the Haunt Industry - http://www.hauntersdigest.com
    Get a Custom Branded Mobile App for your Haunted Attraction - http://www.hauntapps.com
    Website Designer & Developer - http://www.charlesterry.com

7. Default  
    There have been many false assumptions made in this thread, including the following:

- You have to own a haunt in order to review one.
    - If you don’t own a haunt, then you can’t be passionate about or benefit the Haunt Industry.
    - Haunt reviewers are all leeches and freeloaders.
    - Online Haunt Reviews have no value.

Saying that you have to own a haunt in order to review one is just plain absurd. As zombiephobe stated, you don’t have to be a chef to be a food critic, nor do you have to be a movie director to write a movie review. The same goes for haunted attractions. Haunt reviews are a customer’s way of letting you know what they enjoyed about your attraction, along with what they think could have been done better.

I want to make it clear that you also don’t have to own a haunt to be passionate about the industry or benefit it in some way. I am really sick of hearing that pompous attitude on this board. According to some people here, you’re worthless if you don’t own your own haunt. Poppycock!!! The fact is, there are many people who don’t own haunted houses, who make great contributions to the industry. Online ticketing companies make it easy and convenient for patrons to buy tickets, haunt vendors provide props for attractions, haunt directories provide a consolidated list of attractions for patrons to visit and review sites give patrons a better idea of what to expect, when visiting an attraction. How about haunted house builders, actors and make-up artists? They don’t own their haunt, yet they are all very valuable to the industry. Wait, let’s not forget home haunters, who are often those people who eventually turn pro.

I have been involved in the Haunted Industry for more than eleven years now. I love the industry so much that I created a website to promote Halloween and haunted attractions. In the off-season, I go to as many industry conventions and events as I can, then post picture galleries and reviews of them. I also spend countless hours each October, keeping my website up-to-date, so patrons know where in Illinois to go, if they want to visit a haunted attraction. With that being said, can anyone really question the passion I have for this industry or the value I provide? I don’t think so.

As for haunt reviewers being leeches or freeloaders, I’m sure there are some out there that are like that, but I think that is an unfair generalization. It definitely doesn’t apply to me. When I visit attractions, I don’t ask to get in for free. I pay the regular admission, just like every patron does. As a matter of fact, I don’t even announce myself, because I like to get the same show everyone else is getting. By the way, if you DO encounter a reviewer who tries to “freeload”, just don’t let them in for free. It’s that simple.

You are also mistaken if you feel that online haunt reviews have no value. Yes, consumers will make the final vote with their dollars, but haunt reviewers help people decide which events are best for them. Was there blood & gore? Were there adult themes? Was there a high scare factor? Potential patrons, especially those with small children, want to know these things, the same as a teenager would want to know if an attraction is too tame for their taste. So, are haunt reviews valuable? You bet! Every year, I get several emails from people, thanking me for posting my haunted attraction reviews. There are also a number of haunted house owners who use my reviews (and the constructive criticism in them) to make their shows even better the next season. Not only that, but haunt owners have told me that they like the additional exposure the haunt reviews give them. So with that being said, online reviews can be very valuable tools for both patrons and haunt owners alike.

Yes, I suppose there are those people out there who write reviews with the intention of slamming or discrediting an attraction and that is a real shame. I assure you that the reviews I write are as positive as possible and with the intention of promoting the haunt industry in general. Not all haunt reviewers are morally corrupt as some on this board have implied.

By the way, DA… I can understand why the owner of your haunt doesn’t want you to disclose the name/location of the attraction you work at. I wouldn’t want to be associated with your antagonistic, negative & insulting posts, either. LOL.
    Happy Haunting,

Adam Drendel
    Webmaster of http://www.HauntedIllinois.com

Visit us on Facebook for the latest updates! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haunte...m/225595667213

8. Default  
    Adam, if you are that passionate about the haunt industry why don't you just do your own haunt rather than assume your opinion is so valid and even worth a website?

And you still don't get the point. Fact is some reviewers are leeches. You said if they are don't let them in right? So by not giving the reviewer what he or she wants just what do you think he will do as soon as his lame ass can get back home on his computer, write a positive review?

Of course not he'll try to talk crap about the haunt making up stuff to get even.

Haunters themselves stoop pretty low in competing with each other and the reviewers can and do the same.

And Adam, I always respected you until your comments about me. Maybe you should do a haunt you might find a useful tool for weight loss.

9. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkangel View Post
    Maybe you should do a haunt you might find a useful tool for weight loss.
    Did you just reduce this argument to jabs about his weight? I think that was incredibly out of line.
    Katie Lane
    Partner/VP
    Raven's Wolf Art Productions (www.ravens-wolf.com)

Bansheette Morningstar (www.bansheette.com)

10. Default  
    I definatly agree, You shouldn't judge a haunt from what a reviewer says. Go to it and see for yourself.
    Matthew Colton
    Frightworld America's Screampark
    http://www.frightworld.com/

Thread Information