HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

View Poll Results: How far do you go?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fun for the whole family nothing too graphic

2 3.39%
  • A good scare but not too much horror and gore

21 35.59%
  • The usual horror and gore and some torture scenes

10 16.95%
  • Complete realism and as much gore as possible

11 18.64%
  • Includes disturbing pyscological torture

9 15.25%
  • Nothing is taboo including simulating satanic rituals

6 10.17%

Thread: Is there ever such as thing as too far?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    I think you just went too far if you made the little mermaid a hore!
    (She would always be wet but not necesarrilly excited!)
    Drown that image!
    I personally will be creating a new horror image that will probably "speak" to many common feelings of fear and dreaded apprehension, it will be the "E-How Many? Dot Com guy" And guess what his questionaire's first question will be? The potential power of blackmail question but if you don't answer all of his questions, no date!
    "How Many?"
    "Huh?"
    "You heard me little Miss, Missy, how many?"
    "Sir, I find you very insulting."
    "Should I fill in this blank with my guess?"
    "No! No!"

Later...the "Perfect" mate/date shows up on her doorstep walking bent over, knuckles dragging, covered with furr, drooling.
    "Excuse me, are you male or female?"
    "Don't much matter, I'm perfect for you! Computer says!"
    So far in testing this premiss the customers have been frightened and amused, they "know" what I'm talking about, an unlucky, luck of the draw.
    Be abit daring, explore new creatures of horror and revulsion, they are out there, just waiting to be identified and discovered. Who better equipted to do this than people with make up, latex and costume resources, and a venue to display it in?
    GO FOR IT!!!

2. Default  
    This has turned into a quite interesting discussion! Once again, I must
    agree with Smacky. The most effective (and entertaining) way to scare people is to build tension, elicit the scare, provide relief, and start all over again. The period of relief is important in many cases. If the scares build and build with no chance for relief, many people will feel harassed rather than entertained. Relief can come in the form of humor, but it doesn't have to. It can be provided by creating a somewhat non-threatening, interactive scene, or simply giving them a safe place to recover. I, personally, like using humor if it fits your theme but, as Jim pointed out, humor almost always involves risk.

It becomes even more challenging because, as a general rule, we find ourselves building a completely new show each year. So as soon as we discover what works, we go and change it. I guess that is all part of the fun.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Dave

3. Default  
    So as the season wears on, the best scares within the show happen after the first or second week then?
    Or would the employee's weariness compensate in the opposite direction, defusing the scare?
    I had a couple here this afternoon, "she" got upset and nervously scared in just the first 10 minutes in my front room, I had to turn on the main lights and talk to her as she complained about dizziness and an upset stomach(trying to "buy" her way out of here to freedom)
    I got her calmed down, she was relaxed and smiling, I did my first room routine with lights on. By the time we were to the seventh room she was relaxed so I could scare the crap out of her!
    She recouped quickly and laughed about it, great progress had just been made! (Her personal progress of handling her fear)
    They both graciously thanked me for their tour she was very happy with the experience and the way I handled her at the start, no bad dreams for her tonight.
    Last night the very same identicle scenario occurred with the same happy ending for another couple.
    I am not only creating customers for my place but potentially for other haunts as well. How about that?

4. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Warfield
    Last night the very same identicle scenario occurred with the same happy ending for another couple.
    I am not only creating customers for my place but potentially for other haunts as well. How about that?
    I think you just posted a textbook example of valuing your customers.

Obviously none of this applies to mega-haunts. They don't have the time or staff to treat individual customers as though they matter. Sometimes they even post about it here, with comments like "You cannot push through 1000 people per hour and..." And they are right! They get by with amazing producti0on value and offering a whole lot for a very reasonable price.

For the rest of us though, say in the 10,000 guests and below (per year) range, I still think that everything I wrote applies. This october I am going to introduce myself to thousands of guests, I am going to spend time talking to every single one of them, and no matter how tired I am I will do my best to show all of them that they are appreciated and special. I am cringing as I type this; I remember the weariness and the assholes and the cold and heat and pain -- but I am also looking forward to every second.

I have cobwebs in my brain and sawdust in my blood, I LOVE the show!
    "To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful." Robert A. Heinlein

5. Default  
    Thanks guys that was excellent feedback and a great discussion. Sorry I wasn't around - UK bank holiday.

I think you made some very good points esp. SMACKY!!

Next year I am planning on moving into a bigger and a more modern location which will help. Because as Jim said location does play a part. Plus it is quite a damp and a difficult location.

We have been growing on in numbers year after year. People are coming back and the feedback from the ones that do make it all the way through is very good. But... We are in the 'ruins' of one of the UK's most notorious and most evil of places. An old Asylum or Idiot Colony as it used to be called. The building is over 300 years old and has a rather grisley history. :shock: Even in daylight it is quite imposing. Plus in more modern times a scene of the Guildford 4 bombing and old army bunkers.

I am entertained by the idea of re-badging it 'The Little Mermaid Goes Insane'. :wink: But some how I think this would end up even more disturbing. Because the inmates used to make 'garden knomes' just adding a couple of these in the graveyard creeps people out more than anthing!

Hopefully next years location will be more 'friendly'.

But on a more upbeat note the London Dungeon is having an all-night lock in!!! Anyone up for it. ;-)

6. Default  
    High Startle and High Gore... that's the best. -Tyler

7. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeverity
    Because the inmates used to make 'garden knomes' just adding a couple of these in the graveyard creeps people out more than anthing!
    Actually, a lot of people are afraid of those garden gnomes. I saw on TV once, a show where people were facing their worst fears, and in return, got a prize. One lady was terrified of them! She had to enter a fenced in area and pick them up one by one, then turn them over to find which one had her gift certificate taped to the bottom. I think it was worth 5 or 10,000 dollars, so it made it worth it for her. But she was freaking out.

I'd love to go to the lock-in (I'd actually love to just visit London, period), but alas, thousands of miles away. And I don't think the other haunters would let me leave!

8. Default  
    "Insane"? No, out here locally it's known as "The Bubble Factory"
    One very hot day as one man was opening large containers of soap powder to put them into smaller containers another man working there moved a big fan and blew soap powder all over the sweaty man doing this other job beside him.
    There just had to be bubbles that time!

9. Default  
    Jim that's quite an imagination you have there!!

Just to let you know - your mother called and she asked me to remind you not to forget to keep taking your medication.

X xxx

10. Default  
    Jim forgot to add the smileys don't want my hunour backfiring! You know how dry 'english' hunour can be. LOL

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Thread Information