HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Question (good one)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Question (good one) 
    Why don't any haunted houses have an area where the customers picture is taken as they walk through?

I never buy the pictures on roller coasters, but I think I would want my haunted house picture. I think it would sell a lot just because its a new concept. (all the ones I've been too don't have it anyways).

With all the strobe lights flashing in a haunted attraction, a camera flash might barely be noticeable. Do it right after a scare.

The only possible concern is how to time it properly so the customers can see their photos on the TV's at the right time when they come out. And obviously might be trickier to do with an outdoor haunt.

Either do it at the final scare, or have an actor hand out ticket numbers around the corner right after the picture is taken.

Thoughts?

2. Default  
    Rob,
    Because a system like that can cost 10s of thousands of dollars. it might pay off in the long haul but many can't wait for the long haul (the economy). It takes equipment and people which adds to overhead.
    We have a scene in the exit lobby with stocks and a skeleton and folks can take pics with their own camera of each other for free. It adds to the entertainment of the haunt as they are ready to leave.
    Tom
    Creator of the Dungeon
    WWW.BRICKTOWNAMUSEMENT.COM

3. Default  
    This has been brought up many times. I have heard lots of ideas of how it was going to be done but I have never heard of anyone actually doing it successfully.

Part of the problem is timing and having the camera pointed in the right direction. As a little experiment, walk across the room and pretend like something scared you along the way. Now visualize where you would put the camera to capture your expression at the exact second of the scare. But some people will just jump back, some people will turn away, some will drop their heads and some will close their eyes. And in a group of five, how many in that group might show up well enough to get a saleable photo? Then you need to have a photographer perfectly synched with the person doing the scare. Then you need someone at the end of the haunt who can find that exact group as they come out and hopefully sell them a photo. And then there is the problem of redeye. When you're in the dark, your pupils will be wide open which makes the problem about as bad as it will ever get.

Has anyone ever done this successfully?
    Last edited by shawnc; 10-07-2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: typos

4. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by RobfromErie View Post
    Why don't any haunted houses have an area where the customers picture is taken as they walk through?

I never buy the pictures on roller coasters, but I think I would want my haunted house picture. I think it would sell a lot just because its a new concept. (all the ones I've been too don't have it anyways).

Thoughts?
    Not only do some haunts already have systems like this, there was a vendor at Transworld this year marketing this. (It's a company that does pictures for rides and such, and were marketing the same services and equipment for haunts.)

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

5. Default  
    Redeye might be a problem, but it seems fairly minimal on the roller coasters.

The camera could be on timer/sensor or could be taken by pressing a button as the actor scares. Certainly some will hide their faces from fright, but that's part of the picture, seeing yourself cower in fear.

Hmmm, if the cost is truly 10k +, that certainly is an issue. I never imagined some tv's, a printer and a camera system could be so pricey.

6. Default  
    Ghostly Manor in Sandusky Ohio has an ICTV machine which can record and upload a video of your experience at the haunt instantaneously. Bill Criscione is the owner and I believe he's a rep for ICTV.

http://www.ghostlymanor.com/ghostly-manor.html

The Edge of Hell in Kansas City does take pictures of you but they're posed (sorta). I'm not going to give away what they do...

7. Default  
    In a haunted house, I can see a VIDEO being worth 1000 more words than a picture. I just feel it wouldn't be worth the investment. Watching someone getting scared is a lot more fun that just seeing a still-life of them in a scare position. A local amusement park offers DVD's of your whole roller coaster trip, although I wouldn't buy it, it's novel!! With the volume of customers who go through an average haunt, I can see it being a problem tracking customers and finding the photos later. I could be completely wrong though! If someone is marketing and selling this for haunts, it must work in some capacity. KEEP US INFORMED!!!
    O'Shawn McClendon
    Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

8. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by freak 'n' stein View Post
    With the volume of customers who go through an average haunt, I can see it being a problem tracking customers and finding the photos later. I could be completely wrong though!
    I would think you're right.
    I've been to the amusement rides that have them. It's not just a little one person booth doing it. You'd have to have the space and employees for a high volume crowd (if you're a busy haunt). Displaying the pics on several monitors for folks to find their pics (which would require some sort of hardrive for each monitor). Several employees to print off the pics (requires equipment, paper, ink) not to forget the time folks take looking at their pics, standing there deciding if they want them.
    I've checked out the systems a couple years ago and unless the price went down drastically, they aren't cheap.

But here is a post from over a month ago of the same topic and a simple idea but not yet tested as of the time of the post.
    http://www.hauntworld.com/haunted_ho...ad.php?p=98609
    Tom
    Creator of the Dungeon

9. Default  
    Then if you have a large group of people, how will you seperate the group and get each persons picture?
    Tom
    Creator of the Dungeon

10. Default  
    I think it is a cheap way to up value VIP or speedpass tickets and make them get more bang for their buck.

Include a picture with a monster or something with the group.

Eastern State took pictures of people before they went in the haunt and handed everyone a ticket with a number on it to get it afterwards. Didn't seem like too many people were buying them.

Maybe if your multi-haunt single ticket, do it between the scare zones or something to that effect.

Thread Information