HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Giving away Free Tickets to your haunt???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default The Ravens Grin Difference 
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    The majority of the tours through my house heavilly involve ..ME. I am the one doing 100 to usually 98% of the time and effort to make the tour happen. I am personally leading the tour through for anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes, narrating it and actively walking and running, lifting and bending for the entire 60 to 90 minutes personally traveling the 1/2 mile back and forth, resetting the house, ex cetra.
    "Free Tickets?" Are you kidding?
    I have a lawn that needs mowing every week all summer long, it only takes about 3 hours to mow it. Anybody want to come over and mow my grass ..for free?
    I have "invested" all my energy and most of my time in building and operating my place, no complaints about that though because I do probably have more of this peculair actual "FUN" doing this and more laughs than most people.
    ..but no free tickies.

2. Default  
    Ever think about this Jim? What about all the people coming to your house to do a story on your house. Did you give them a free tour? How many of them were actually legit? Did you actually get to read and see the final story on each of these people.?! You gave quite a few free tours last year huh! LOL!
    Damon
    Damon Carson

3. Default  
    This past season we handed out several free tickets and it did bring us several new customers. We took a stack of free tickets and a stack of $2 off coupons. we'd ask people if they'd heard of us (since we're only in our second year) and if they had, we'd give them a coupon and if not, we'd give one of two free tickets (depending on the group size). It seemed pretty effective.

I really like the idea of the validation of the tickets. Alot of our free tickets were redeemed the last two weekends on friday/saturday nights. This would help get them in on Thursdays/Sundays earlier in the month. Thanks for the tip!!

Catie Mahfouz
    Blood Ink Writing Service
    www.hauntwriter.com

4. Default Actually Damon... 
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    Many people coming here to write about the place never get a tour at all. They are much more interested in interveiwing me. You know I Can talk alot and talk for a Long Time and never even repeat myself.
    Catie Sullivan who wrote for Chicago Magazine last year got a tour with no real interveiw, which was her choice, but even then many people will pay me, buy the ticket because they don't want to be feeling they owe me anything when they write as far as being more kind or forgiving and less critical.
    One of the first times a magazine wrote about the house it sort of went like this:"Hi!, I'm---- and I am from "-----" magazine!"
    "Admission is $-."
    "Yes, but I'm from ---magazine!"
    ("?") "Admission is $-."
    Then he bought the ticket.
    Then there are those who never even tell me they are a writer until someone shows me what was written.
    One such young man was here in the winter, all by himself . He travels around the world producing small home made books (for sale on e-bay) called "Dream Whips". I am mentioned in either Dream Whip 13? or 14?, maybe. He wrote some funny stuff.
    I think if you had a room with 50 haunters and a room with 50 newspaper and book authors, that the room with the writers would be much more odd and just basically stranger than those of us who scare people. (Maybe that makes them scarier?)

5. Default  
    Ya sometimes there called Paparazzi! They have been known to kill people! That is scary!
    Damon
    Damon Carson

6. Default  
    Thanks for the advice guys. I feel like we do a quality show. If you have ever run a haunt you'll know what I mean when I say that I am proud of the show we created, but in my mind I can see it being so much better. Each year we plan to challenge ourselves to create greater depths of realism, more exciting scares, and better memories for our customers to cherish. But doing so takes more than heart and hard work... it also takes cold hard cash. Until the number of patrons through the door exceeds what we need to create the best show possible this HAS to be a large part of the focus of our efforts. Your thoughts are appreciated.
    "What I need is more power and less *@^! from you people....... HEY....... who took my tiara of pain!!!"

7. Default always give tickets, here is why 
    I agree with Boni and Kelly Allen for all the reasons they say. Don't forget sponsors when doing a media/Vip night or opening weekend stuff. We also give a bunch of tickets to our local Pepsi distributor for both their employees and the store managers that they put our coupons into.

The return of free radio give away tickets has been around 20 % for as long as we have been tracking them (1998). The return of our sponsor tickets, radio live promos, and such has been around 45 % the five years we have been doing that, too. In Kelly's example of radio ad trades. If you buy $ 200 and trade $ 200 for $ 400 in radio ads, the return rate could be valued at $ 240-300 with a ten dollar ticket price depending on how they are given away. But then take into account Badger's idea of free tickets attracking more customers and it will make even more sense. Some will argue that free tickets give away money, but many of those proabably would ever darken you door in the first place.

While each haunt has a different policy, ours has helped us continue to grow attendance consistently.
    Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
    Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Haunted Cave, Fort Wayne Indiana

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.facebook.com/hauntedcave

8. Default  
    I used the bogo early in the season on slow nights and on Sundays. This can help to drive a few heads to your door
    I'm only doing this to impress 2 people ... The fire marshal and the customer that's it !!!

Thread Information