HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: dealing with handicap

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    And deaf people wanted a discount.
    My wife scared the one deaf guy without even trying , she was just standing there and I think he forgot about her because he had seen her.
    One time my Uncle was in a small, busy restaurant when a man walked in and began going from person to person showing a small card that said ."I am deaf, please pray for me, God Bless you."
    My Uncle watched with no small amount of fascination, finally the man got to my Uncle and my Uncle said, "Hi Gene, how's it going?"
    Gene wasn't deaf, he was a scam artist and a former classmate of my Uncle's!
    Gene should have been scamming further than just 65 miles away from home!

2. Default  
    MY haunt the USS Nightmare is hadicap accessable for 1/2 of the way through.
    Perhaps a silly question, but what happens to them at that point??

3. Default  
    They are cured.
    Crutches and wheeled chairs abandoned, thrown overboard later.
    Why else would they have paid $10,000 for a haunted boat tour and show?

4. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxdirk
    lol, sight impared. You just reminded me that I had a blind person go through the haunt last year. All I kept thinking was WHY!!!
    Remember Ron when one losses one sense the other senses become stronger, to a blind person just hearing the screaming of their group and im sure his group explained what was happening was probably a cool experience to the blind person regardless.

Just one more reason to offer sinister scents,that guy would have probably really appreciated that.

If i was blind i would still want to experience all of lifes pleasures wether i could see them or not.

By the way the next time you talk a wheelchair through your haunt,call me i want to see this ! Go back and read your post i laughed when i saw your typo so i just had to stick it to you!LOL

:: Ron walking behind a wheelchair:: Ok Mr wheelchair take a left here and check out my graveyard, what do think cool huh!

How long did you guys take to go through and look at things you and your wheelchair freind?

5. Default  
    Well altough I would love it if our guests were cured. We have a hidden door that launches them into the water.lol just kidding we have a hidden door that takes them to the exit. we usualy have security wheel them around
    5 years in the business and still ticking
    Ive been through HELL on Earth. What can you do?
    USSN

6. Default  
    Raycliff Manor Guest
    Kevin, you were reading my mind! LOL I was thinking the same thing... Sinnister Scents!

The building we're in was required to be brought up to new code, including sprinklers emergency lights, etc. and we were required to be 100% handicap accessible, which we were happy to do. We also had some people come through last year with a son in a wheelchair. We met them at the exit to make sure the trip through was without obstruction and to see if they had any feedback on how we could improve it for people in wheelchairs. They said it worked out perfect and went on to explain that this is the first time in years they have been able to go through a haunted house as a family. The whole family are Halloween and haunt enthusiasts. They thanked us profusely. I let them know that having a brother who had recently become paralyzed from the chest down had opened my eyes to the challenges people in wheelchairs face and it had given me a whole new understanding and respect for them. That one family made the extra effort worth it!

By the way, our local codes require a 36" clearance throughout, but we also went with 48". If allows for a bit more wheelchair maneuverability. :wink:

Kel

7. Default  
    Remember the post on here once about a wheelchair bound customer who got knocked to the ground and broke a bone by other customers as they fearfully reacted to something? A stampede victim!
    Something else to think about.....
    The wheelchair stampede victim still said they had a great time!
    We have had some very sick (physically) people come here to see the house and we got pretty choked up after they left because we felt so sorry for them and their totally uphill struggle they are going through, this hits one especially hard when they are young kids who are diagnosed to not see too many more birthdays.
    It is incredible what some of them have already been through and they desire with which they still approach life. It is very inspiring.
    "Who? Me?, Naw, I guess I sure don't have any problems."
    It's all "relative", isn't it?

Thread Information