HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Corn!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default corn- 
    For the last 3 years, we have offered a non-haunted corn maze at night. It has been financially successful, but it has not been tremendously popular. Customers always leave the corn maze wanting... something more. They often speak about having some of our actors out there... I think that haunting a corn maze puts everyone on a level playing field... and puts your actors in danger... now the haunted become the haunters...
    Even though something like that is lucrative, we don't want to leave a bad taste in our customers mouth... or leave them wanting for more. So this year, we are going to offer the corn maze as a separate a-la-carte type event, rather than leaving it on the main GA ticket. Hopefully, it will keep out the idiots that go in there just to tear S*** up.
    We are considering setting up a haunted corn trail between our hayride and our last haunted house, and having that replace the good ole' corn maze. We have not set this as a final decision yet. It may or may not have many sets involved, but we'll see what happens.
    30" rows work out really well. To make a nice narrow trail, you can take out just 1 row width and pull the corn leaves. Or you can take out 2 rows wide, and you can leave the leaves. I just confirmed that we planted 38,000 population in each direction (may have been a little too much) but it really makes the maze thick like bamboo, and it actually makes it more difficult to tear down. This will also allow for you to have the ability for better twists and turns, and even design ability in a corn maze. I'll have to find some of the designs we made and post them.
    Patrick Barberry
    www.legendsofthefog.com

2. Smile  
    WOW guys thanks for all this feed back, I like what I read and I think this will help alot. I would love to see the latout you have. I will be putting this corn in western NC we have some corn fields around and dont know if they water them or not. But Ill be finding out soon. Thank guys and if anyone else has any info Please put it up here. OH im going to look into them movable buildings too.!!!!
    BLOOD, GUTS AND GORE!
    www.horrorfields.com

3. Default  
    gave bad info. I cross plant in maze area...but not solid. I plant with 6 row planter and will cross plant rows 2 and 5 shutting off rows 1,3,4,6 across the maze area about every 90 feet. If I do some very intricate work (see pirate skull with flintlock pistol & dagger and Wolly mammoth at bestmaze.com) I will cross plant that area of field so I end up with 30" squares. But I design my maze and figure out how I am going to plant based on design. Even when I cross plant i cut back the cross planted rows to 28,000 seeds. Last year I had 170 bushel corn AFTER the maze ended.

4. Default  
    what I was thinking of is forcing the trail into my scenes whatever it maybe leaving no options to turn backwards, yeah, I think people think "corn maze" and "how the heck it the fastest way out of here" mentality. I like narrow trail idea and denser growth, has anybody seen that bamboo that grows like 15ft a year and has trunks 4-6 inches wide, you have to cut with chainsaw I heard... ok, I wonder if there's soil testing kits for optimizing corn growers, you certainly don't want a rocky clay dirt that was fill dirt from last year. I will check around the area here and get some addresses from some folks see what happens. How much money do you get per bundle/bale of corn nowadays? How many acres is 28-35000 corn seeds/plants ? acre like 45k sqft I think.

I do like the idea of as much variety with huanted maze, trail, inside haunt building but quality must be satifying to customers and doing that many things well might take some time. What about throwing in a pumpkin patch, I heard alot of familys like the hayrides and good reason why attendance potential is better and give opportunity to pick up your halloween pumpkin or even give away some every night. Might be more overhead than needed but it's about entertainment keep folks interested.

5. Default Wife wants to know why i fell off chair laughing 
    Sorry spookjj...but I got one heck of a laugh out of your last posting. The 28,000 to 35,000 seeds is PER ACRE. Forgive me for taking short cut in my explanation. habit talking "like a farmer" not good when talking to non farmers. like my 13 year old kid telling me how to do stuff on this new fangled computer I suppose. Right now corn is around $6 a bushel. I did not add corn to my attraction...I added attractions to my corn. I'm 6th generation farming in my township.

I've stuck my neck out a few other times and offered to do a seminar at transworld on corn mazes. So far powers that be have not knocked on my door.

6. Default  
    WF... so you really just discard your corn, I suppose you'd have to go out and sell it on the road side otherwise..lol Well, lets put the question another way let's say how many seeds do you plant per acre, that's pretty straight forward talk now, lol right? however, this depends on cross planting...etc but what's your magic number with the method you use? I think you could definitely put a pdf document together and sell, but, you'd have to have someone like me do the dog and pony show on it and then anybody could follow it probably...lol

7. Default  
    I plant around 32,000-33,000 seeds per acre in rows 30" apart. That means I am dropping a seed every 6" in the row. This is my "magic" number for me. It produces enough stalks that are healthy and rigid (just leave this alone Shane & Spookhole) so they do not bend/break as easy with wind or customers bumping into them. High populations produce a lot of skinny stalks. Probably some have seen varieties of corn that do not hold leaves well and then plant higher population the next year to compensate for this.

I'll be as honest as I can. If I was a farmer who didn't do any maze or haunt; and someone approached me for help planting a few acres of corn...I would very politely say "Not interested". But people wanting to do this the first time find a farmer in your area. I hate doing fields less than 20 acres...they are a pain. But; you have an ace in your hand this year. Farmers are drooling over more farm land to work because corn is $6. Depending on part of the country...land is renting anywhere from $75 to $250 and more per acre. If you have a plot that is full of old grass sod...less than 7 acres...offer to let farmer have free rent of ground for this year to get it back in shape. Have him plow, spray, plant etc. then the corn is his to harvest AFTER haunt season ends. You have no expense...and it is done right. Try to push a preemergnce weed spray (he will know what I mean) so he doesn't have to turn around on headlands running over corn after it comes out of ground. tell him to add a extra half pound of atrazine...you do not want weeds. And you would like him to use roundup ready corn ($$$$ for seed) You will walk the field with a backpack sprayer if weed problems like thistle or cocklebur come up. You do not want customers walking through those weeds.

8. Default plant cross rows and 
    We haunted our first corn maze. Learned quickly that we were not in control of the scares. So we came up with a curvey M with a U in it that worked well. We could create scenes along the path and have access by coming into the customer path from behind the flow. The customers never saw them as they didn't see them. Walking backwards through the path would allow seeing them all.

The monster/ maint/ security trailer was placed on the opposite side from the entrance and exit keeping the actors and security out of sight. The pictures I am including show the actual maze on teh bottom and the haunted path in the top right of the picture. The paint pic was done real quick to give a better idea of the concept. It was about 2 1/2 acrea and had 1800+ feet of path. Security could be in any part of it in 10-15 seconds and the monsters could be get in and out inconspicuously. The two places that needed barricades were never crossed.

Plant cross, plant late, and swipe paths with a 1/2 piece of PVC pipe to create a nice clean wall of path. Take a piece about for feet long and walkt the path swiping the leaves off the corn that are hanging into the path. Plant without any buildings and interference, then place buildings with tractor with forks before corn gets 10 inches high. Rototill or flatten path early and mow weekly to keep it clean and flat (safe).

With all the low voltage controls now, utilize that as much as possible. Irrigate if needed because you want as tall and intimidating of corn as possible. Keep paths no wider than 5 feet and curvey.

Good Luck.
    Attached Images
    Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
    Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Haunted Cave, Fort Wayne Indiana

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.facebook.com/hauntedcave

Thread Information