HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Hard Coating methods...

Hybrid View

1. Default Hard Coating methods... 
    Looking to start discussions on hard coating foam, and/or hard coating in general. Has anybody used the stuff from hotwirefoamfactory their foam coating? http://hotwirefoamfactory.com/produc...0&bestseller=Y

I think stucco has be mentioned in coating, a number of drylock recipes, monster mud all used making props but besides usual protectant paints is there anything else? aka, (a)how and what's the best way of preserving foam (b) what not to use on foam (bad experiences), (c) protectants for other made props such as paper mache, monster mud/burlap sacks...etc (which leads me to ask if anyuse used elastomeric stuff for sealing basements and roofs on any props). Alot of question here I know, lastly, (c) I heard Larry saying they used concrete gun on their foam walls at the Darkness... any insight into this?

2. Default  
    Hey there is this stuff called Styrospray 1000 from Industrial Polymers Corporation Houston Texas 713-943-8451
    Great stuff. You can brush this on. I have tried the hard coat from Hot wire Foam factory and I was not real happy with it. Try this, I think you will like it!

Sue

3. Default  
    (a)how and what's the best way of preserving foam
    That depends on the use, will it be outdoor, will it be exposed to elements, will it be painted, will guests be able to touch it? All of those conditions may change the treatment for the foam. I like expoxy resins, Bar-kote, vinyl acrylic stucco for most conditions,But im a fan of fiberglass when it has to be outside. I also like liquid nails (thanks Eric! and Chris).

(b) what not to use on foam (bad experiences),
    Polyesther resins (with out protecting the foam), and spray paints, truck bedliner material (tried it...didnt do to hot). and the spraymaster jr system- not cost effictive at all.

(c) protectants for other made props such as paper mache, monster mud/burlap sacks...etc (which leads me to ask if any use used elastomeric stuff for sealing basements and roofs on any props). Alot of question here I know, lastly,
    I used to use elastomeric on foam, it works as a sealant but not as a protectant. to rubbery I think its texture encourages people to pick at it. liquid nails is good, as is silicone caulking (it comes in black) Fiberglass is still king Im afraid, but I use poly 1512 instead of plaster alot nowadays (get that from bity mold supply).

(c) I heard Larry saying they used concrete gun on their foam walls at the Darkness... any insight into this?
    Gunite is the material that is normally sprayed on in that fashion it is a super messy process and verry effective. Skull kingdoms caves were made out of this over a diamond mesh frame and I used to climb on them all the time, tough stuff.
    Allen H

4. Default  
    Terrormasue, Allen... thankyou! There's so much information out there and sometimes it gets convoluted for me... The poly 1512 seems like it might be the best overall as it likely gives a harder shell, however, the styrospray 1000 sounds really interesting.

Allen... how is liquid nails used, curious, besides using a putty knife wouldn't think you'd get a nice smooth surface but could see if working for rougher applications. Maybe sometime like self settling polyurethane you could use and apply easier a somewhat stiffer brush... the stuff works great for sealing basement wall and floor and is tough stuff when dried, just wondering. Sure the others will work good....

Allen... you're experitise is second to none, if ever an award to be given you'd get all my votes brother! I know when I ask a question and you chime in, your answers are thorough and always excellant! Thanksman

5. Default  
    Your right liquid nails isint very smooth, but its great for corpse flesh and textured things, I saw it on the heads and hands on haunted overloads site, as well as on this awesome DVD
    http://www.monstercloset.com/ get the DVD right now, there is alot of great info in it.

I appreciate the comments also, but they are strong words. Haunting requires a massive amount of skills that you could spend a lifetime figuring out. I dont think Im top of the list on any particular skill or facet of the industry. I do think Id make a few top ten lists on some of those skills and that is an achievment in itself, but always strive to learn and share what youve learned.
    Allen H

6. Default  
    yeah, I can now see how liquid nails would give a rough skin texture, can't wait to try it out somtime. Ok, I'll try out the DVD, looks great

and never came across this site before! Thanks

I've been studying the forums for about 2-3 years, quitely I should say... your willingness share and take the time to help others, on top of your diverse knowledge, is very much appreciated. We're planning a haunt for 2012, likely '13 and I can name you, Terra... and few others as that truly keep many going in the right direction. I'm not a young pup and recognize without you guys it would be 10x more difficult ! Kudos

Jim

Thread Information