HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Walk through mirror?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Walk through mirror? 
    I want to make a walk-thru mirror for my haunt this year. My idea is to take clear strip door material (fear flaps) and add mirrored mylar to the back of it essentially creating a flexible mirror that people can walk through. Not sure how I'm going to adhere the mylar to the flaps. I thought about spray glue, but I'll have to test it out. Anyone know why this won't work, or have a better idea? I thought I'd toss it out here before I set to experimenting.

Louis Brown
    Owner, operator, and dish washer
    at
    DarkWood Manor

2. Default  
    http://www.specialty-graphics.com/28...ign_Vinyl.html this goes on similar to window film and would work on fear flaps
    I would make a flar door and put mylar on it as opposed to the flaps though I think it would look better. a simple plywood door with a frame around it and mylar heated and stretched over the plywood so when its closed you only see a mirror, no flaps to give it away.
    Allen H

3. Default  
    I would do the plywood door and just put a plexi-glass mirror on it, but I want try to create the feeling of actually passing through the mirror. Into that strange mirror world that we all know is on the other side of every mirror. lol Even with flaps that illusion would be a stretch. A few years ago I used white strip door pieces placed side by sided as a movie screen to create the illusion that the customers were passing into the film as they went through it. I was just trying to do the same thing as a mirror.

Louis Brown
    Owner, operator, and dish washer
    at
    DarkWood Manor

4. Default  
    I would just use plywood. Put that shiny reflective tape on the entire door. Cut it in a jagged pattern down the middle so when it is pushed open it looks like it broke in half or was shattered. The fear flaps would work but a mirror doesnt break that way. Unless your just talking about passing through a mirror? Anyway I like the idea of passing through a mirror and it breaking much more dramatic. You could put one of those screamer boxes or whatever they call them and record breaking glass on it.
    Damon
    Frightmasters
    houseoffright.com
    Damon Carson

5. Default  
    Damon, Check Rosco's line of scenic material's. Check Rosebrand for stock.
    Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

6. Default  
    I saw this video several years ago and always loved the mirror they made in their maze. It looks as if they cut up mylar into jagged pieces to represent shards of broken mirror.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekIjY-NmpVQ

Fast forward to about 4:00.

7. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Front Yard Fright View Post
    I saw this video several years ago and always loved the mirror they made in their maze. It looks as if they cut up mylar into jagged pieces to represent shards of broken mirror.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekIjY-NmpVQ

Wow, that looks great. Very creepy home haunt.
    Ryan

http://SCREAMFREAK.com
    Virginia's Best Haunted Attractions

8. Default  
    Lurker,
    I had a thought about your mirror issue. I was thinking you could use silver lycra and make a door from that. I was thinking bungee cord would keep it tight down the center (two cords attached at top and bottom of frame in the middle). The lyrca dosent look 100% like a mirror but I think it would get the illusion across, especially if a real mirror was in the frame, then the lights flickered and the mirror slid away in the dark (via a pocket door set up) and the lycra was behind it.
    here is a link to the lycra.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/T20-HD-Silver-Ly...item4aa5164e5b
    and a quick pic of the doorway set up. Its just one way to go.
    Allen H

9. Default  
    WOW very nice
    BLOOD, GUTS AND GORE!
    www.horrorfields.com

10. Default It's all about time-money 
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    Have a plastic mirror on a sliding track, zip it quickly away but have some of the mylar strips right behind the plastic mirror to give the illusion of just having passed through the mirror itself. (Maybe a half-second blink of the lights could help sell this?)
    Sound defects of breaking glass or some wacky unearthy sounds and maybe a quiet fan blowing cool air over them as they walk through to effectively hit more of their senses with different sensations simulataneously telling the unconscious portion of the brain that "something really just happened!"

Thread Information