HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Need input / inspiration for small haunt, clock is running

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default  
    I use the triangular grid on my largest show at SCREAMS its very disorienting. straight walls are still straight, jut the turns are different, 60 or 120 degree angles. There is a program to help lay them out but I normally just use graph paper.
    http://www.boopack.com/software.html

http://www.printfreegraphpaper.com/gp/i-i-12.pdf

I really like the way the grid lays out, nice cubbys for sound and pop ups as well as great actor hides. It works really well and helps to make that show stand out from the others.
    Allen H

2. Default  
    That's what I'm talkin about.

Recently I came up with a weird idea where every wall section is 8 foot by 8 foot and there are a lot more props, the hallways are then somewhere between 7 and 8 foot wide to allow passing by actors and patrons that go at different speeds. Allthough the walls are heavy the actual set up time would be half, the amount of hardware would be half the cost and even the amount of lumber required is slightly less. Perhaps triangular grid 2.0 ? More set dressing and design.

Just a note, there are straight passages in a triangular grid but if you segment the layout sideways into smaller modules it is not obvious to customers or even those helping set up or act what the pattern is. Most large lay outs assume the longest lines are the straight paths and the boo pack layout suggests that. Instead you make a bunch of smaller haunts in one 3,000 SF space and the straight lines go sideways.

The central corridor(s) also go sideways and you go from one end of the haunt to the other side and back into the wrong side of the next module of about 1,000 Sf per module. By screwing around with the pattern even people that have the thing right in front of them can not draw it or comprehend how it is laid out. So of course customers have no idea.

The bigger triangular grid layouts get to be a bit much to absorb and enjoy once they exceed about 3,000 SF. Even 3800 Sf patterns are a bit much. Just an observation from working on so many of them.

Screwing with the customers spacial security was a bonus after 20 minutes of twisting and turning then one side indoors was 80 feet long and of course this was the chainsaw run that at that point seemed like an insurmountable task with strobes things coming down out of the overhead and sometimes multiple chainsaws and the exit was also a turn, not seen as light at the end of the tunnel. Then outside it was a moment of relief then another outdoor run of chainsaws for another 80 feet.

A certain level of exersion has already been done by the customers and you can actually get more linear feet out of a triangular grid that is in a 3,000 SF space as would be in a 6,000 SF square design. The power of diagonals.

Boo Pack rules and then you cheat and lift and reverse things with tracing paper and even turn things sideways. Once you have an overall design you can flip it literally over end or from this side to that side of a transparency and get years of use from the designs.

This way you can focus more on what happens here, here and here in 100 different spots.

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

3. Default  
    Another thing you do in a smaller space is what I call crazy panels. Actor in a central corridor or even the chainsaw runs have many passageways and windows that allow them to scare into the haunt. Every next room is just like having some kind of scare box with 3 portals and ways to go or directions of attack. Panels that are actually available as exits become ways for actors to pass through to the next sections. Again they are themed and serve both as a scene and as a way to get somewhere. There is no reason for a few actors to stay in one spot and be bored or wait for this group to get to them to spring into action.

Think open back jail cells, holes in walls, willy wonka doors, moving book cases, secret ninja escape paths. Part of what you are providing is a playground for the actors and a learning curve of where they can get to and this ramps up over time to the crazy final weekends. Keeping the actors engaged and curious might help the perception of the show as well. The show is never the same for repeat visits yet is has an achievable duration that customers would actualy want to do it again. Two factors that mean more income. Longer shows might get lower repeats per season. They did it but it was enough for a while which turns out to be like 3 years or never again.

Imagine having a high year to year patronage and actors completely engaged and willing to return the following year for more, not just for money or pizza.

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

4. Default  
    lemme no wen u are inspired......

5. Default  
    Greg- Sometimes you wierd me out, sometimes i think your my brother from another mother. Your "crazy panels" are completely my style I do that alot. You should come see a few of my layouts sometime.
    Allen H

6. Default  
    I don't think the size is the issue, if your haunt is good , it's good. I would take your haunt and break it down two the best parts and rework them back together into your new smaller haunt, also add alot of effects you need to dazzle them. I would add a ton of video effects and animatronics thru out your haunt, little things like shadow people and nick nacks moving across tables and book selfs. You want to keep there eyes moving around the room this will make there brain work hard to take it all in and make your haunt feel bigger. And good actors.

Lots of eye candy, I feel dirty just saying that.

Robert

7. Default  
    Allen I should come visit at some point. I haven't been out there for a few years and I have lost track of time. Are the haunts up and hidden or are they torn down?

8. Default  
    Think of it this way, Trailer Haunts are getting more and more discussion. A basic 6 trailer haunt is the same sq footage that you are considering! You just have to design with a different mindset. You have to design to use EVERY square inch!! Where possible you design the actor spots for multiple scares and like was stated, it really helps brings your actors back when you keep them busy!!

It can definately be more difficult to design in the smaller venue, but once you learn the "tricks" of the trade it can be very rewarding!!

Good luck!

Rich
    R&J Productions
    Las Vegas, NV
    www.LasVegasHaunts.com

9. Default picture? 
    can someone please post a pic of their triangular grid layout. I just cannot visualize it.

Thread Information