HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Do Haunts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Do Haunts? 
    Do haunts have to have a story line?

I know that I had posted an idea, but I can only come up with about 4 set ideas. I am stumped. I wanted ti be differant then other haunts in my area. Ones that I have been to, don't seem to have story lines. Unless I am stupid and can't figure out what they are.

Being that I will probably be haunting outside with limited big time on tree's. I wanted to do something other then a haunted camp or cemetery. Or acting out small Hollywood type sets with Mike Myers or Jason/camp crystal lake.

Any feed back would help!

2. Default  
    A good haunt will have a great storyline to work with.

http://www.thehauntedvineyard.com/pages/Legond.html

This was from the finest haunt in California. Much of the storyline is derived from the environment, using the original 1928 market place building at the last remains of the first vineyard in California, the Guasti vineyards. The train also comes by every half hour which figures prominently into the storyline as well.

You will also want to try and avoid basing on released horror movies and media icons. 1. Intellectual laziness. 2. They get sue happy.
    The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

3. Default  
    [ 2. They get sue happy.[/quote]

i've never seen/heard anyone get sued yet. besides why else would the companies make monsker movie masks?

sidenote: i'm not a big fan of having movie monsters in a haunt..but if it floats someone's boat..

anyway back to your question: you can have a cemetery that is built on/around a toxic waste area.

a swamp
    western
    psycho killers on the loose

the options are endless just get a pen and paper and start to brainstorm!

4. Default  
    If your just gonna throw a bunch of scary scenes together and all that, then a storyline is not neccessarily needed. Now, if your gonna stick to your boogeyman theme, then it would be wise to create some kind of story for that. So as people read your story before they go into your house, it gets them a little pumped up, for when they actually enter.
    Brad Bowen
    Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
    www.ultimatefear.net

5. Default  
    I have always been a fan of the story line in a haunt. We have been using them for years.

The people who run line out front will tell the background, some of the key actors in the haunt bring up the story line from time to time, and our exit room is a big part of the story.

You can tell that some people just don't get it or don't care about it, but it amazes me how many people got really into the story! It's an easy way to add a level of interest and believability that may not of been there otherwise.

=Joel=

6. Default  
    Joel and Brad

The ending in my haunt would also be the largest set. I have drawn up a scetch of all the sets. I have a lighted effect for the begining, a bedroom is the second set, A closet for the next, but then there is an empty space in my story. The end is where the Boogieman lives, eats, sleeps, well you know what I mean. What happens between the Closet set and the home of the Boogieman. I thought about doing an all black room with actors dressed in black, that move around like shadows. Is this good enough? It just does not seem like alot to walk through.

7. Default  
    Jason, trust me on this one. Knotts had to make a MAJOR change to their primary event every Haunt due to legal communication from a big movie studio that wasn't too keen on the usage of their horror movie characters. The end result was the park did one year lampooning the entire affair then went off to make their own original trademarked characters. There are most likely others that are not so publicized or reacted on.
    The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

8. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Haunt
    Joel and Brad

The ending in my haunt would also be the largest set. I have drawn up a scetch of all the sets. I have a lighted effect for the begining, a bedroom is the second set, A closet for the next, but then there is an empty space in my story. The end is where the Boogieman lives, eats, sleeps, well you know what I mean. What happens between the Closet set and the home of the Boogieman. I thought about doing an all black room with actors dressed in black, that move around like shadows. Is this good enough? It just does not seem like alot to walk through.
    I have a good idea for your last room, but its hard to explain this idea. Being boogieman's lair, I'd say have it more of a really creepy, scary room, and not just a regular black room. If you have a little bit of money to spend, and this being your final/biggest set, you'd want to go all out on this.
    The idea that I have for this room would be to have his lair in a world trapped between earth and hell. As if, when the boogieman grabs his victims, he pully them down from the world, into his own little world.

As far as set design for this room, I'd say watch a few freddy movies, and pay attention to his sets, when the victims are in his dream world.

I'd say, use a lot of red in this room, a liitle bit of black, and a lot of just crazy, off-the-wall stuff in there. Go to some garage sales, and old antique stores, and pick up old furniture, old props, etc. This could show that the boogieman has been aroung for a long time, and all that old stuff just naturally adds creepiness to any set.
    Brad Bowen
    Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
    www.ultimatefear.net

9. Default  
    At The End Of A Long Forgotten Trail in Melrose, Fl.
    They sell the mask to make money not so you can make money from the mask. The mask can be used to go to partys or trick-or-treat or if you are doing some haunt for free. You start to make alot of money and get alot of media and be come a huge name in haunting. You'll get sued, oh ya we'll get sued.
    Quote Originally Posted by jason
    [ 2. They get sue happy.
    i've never seen/heard anyone get sued yet. besides why else would the companies make monsker movie masks?

sidenote: i'm not a big fan of having movie monsters in a haunt..but if it floats someone's boat..

anyway back to your question: you can have a cemetery that is built on/around a toxic waste area.

a swamp
    western
    psycho killers on the loose

the options are endless just get a pen and paper and start to brainstorm![/quote]
    Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

10. Default  
    There was a story published in Haunted Attraction Mag about developing a theme and backstory based on your location and how it translates into better profits and easier marketing.

You can read it here:
    http://www.hauntedattraction.com/ind...position=63:40

Tell me if that helps you out, good luck.

Thread Information