HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: NEED HELP - Distressing with spray bottles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default NEED HELP - Distressing with spray bottles 
    How do I keep my bottles from getting clogged up and not working. I can get about 20 squirts out of a bottle and then it becomes useless. I've tried bottles from home depot, lowes, wal mart, you name it, but they clog every time. I've tried different ratios, paint to water, 50/50, 60/40, doesn't make a difference. Please, any suggestions/help would be welcome.
    Thanks,
    Scott
    Spook Squad Scenic Designs
    goksucats526@hotmail.com
    http://www.terrorplex.com

2. Default  
    well what we bought was the $1.50 spray bottle’s from home depot ( but we bought about 15 of the top pieces (the ones that screw onto the bottle)) and we started spraying the wall and when it got clogged we took it off and put it in a bucket of paint thinner for about 5 minutes and took one of the other nozzles and screwed it on the bottle. Ya it gets annoying but it works.

3. Default  
    I prefer spray guns, but if you use bottles, use the kind with this nozzle:

and not this cheaper type:

strain your thinned out paint with a mesh like pantyhose or a very fine kitchen strainer and keep it mixed in the bottle by swirling it often or put a marble in the bottle for an agitator. Keep the bottle & nozzle very clean when not using.
    missjayne
    Netherworld Haunted Attractions
    http://www.fearworld.com/

4. Default  
    garden sprayers work
    I'm only doing this to impress 2 people ... The fire marshal and the customer that's it !!!

5. Default Spray bottles 
    Pump sprayers are good because you don't have to keep squeezing the trigger. But definitally use a paint strainer. The littlest spec of dried paint will clog it. On the garden pump sprayers you can take the nozzle apart and wash it out if it does clog. 50/50 paint to water is about right.

6. Default  
    this is the reason i use a diff method, i use watered down paint with a brush and then i use pure water out of the squirt bottle to make it streak down and settle in, this method is also way more forgiving than spraying the paint out the bottle

7. Default  
    well if you watch our videos 'how to detail your haunted house part one or two' at www.hauntedhousesupplies.com you would see we use them a ton. The issue you are having is one of two things...

1) You are NOT using the industrial style squirt bottles which you can find at Home Depote.

2) You are using too much paint and not enough water. You don't need much paint to get the water to turn colors but if you use a lot of paint you make it really thick and it will clog up the nozzles. Additionally we don't use paint typically we use paint tints and again you dont' need much.

Keep playing around with it you'll get it...

Larry

8. Default  
    I use a small roller with heavily watered down black paint
    I'm only doing this to impress 2 people ... The fire marshal and the customer that's it !!!

9. Default  
    Another option is to shorten your tubes. the thick stuff is at the bottom (even when well mixed) so having the tube stop in the middle you will catch less gunk.

10. Default  
    Thanks for all the suggestions! What I find strange is, is that the white paint bottle never gets clogged; the one with black and green paints clog after a few
    minutes.
    Allen- I'll give your method of cutting the pipe a try first and see what happens.
    Spook Squad Scenic Designs
    goksucats526@hotmail.com
    http://www.terrorplex.com

Thread Information