HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Haunts in Malls?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Haunts in Malls? 
    Hello everyone!
    Well, our haunt had to move this year and we've all but secured a deal with the local mall. They always have a Spirit Halloween store each year. (It's not a HUGE mall, but not a rinky dink strip mall either).
    We were wondering if anyone has any advice or answers to a few questions.
    The mall really seems to want this and has an old Rite Aid Store with sprinklers and everything set for us (about 5-6000 sq. ft.) with outdoor access which is great since the indoor access (if we have it) will need shut down at 9pm but we can stay open til whenever. They're also going to put us in all the advertising they do and we're right near the food court and movie theater.
    We were still thinking of opening Thur/Fri/Sat (usually 7-11pm but might modify it to 6-10pm or last ticket is sold).
    Is this still what people do or do you open every night from 6-9 or 6-10?
    Also, any other considerations that are different from a free standing building.
    They are working with us off a percentage of the door with a guaranteed amount from July 15th-Nov. 15th. We pay utilities. It's actually a great deal (one we proposed).
    We are getting advertising/insurance/registration/floor plan/etc. set up before move in so we can focus on the building...
    So excited...this is the earliest start for us ever! Last year was Aug. 13th before we found a place and a week later for our wood/supplies!
    Thanks!
    Kirk
    DARK DOMAIN HAUNTED HOUSE
    www.darkdomainhauntedhouse.com

2. Default It works.... 
    Sounds like a promising opportunity. A few haunts in the Dallas area were in malls and are still around to talk about. Proof it can work. Just like any location, you gotta put on respectable show and market the heck out of your haunt!
    Joshua
    www.hauntedprints.com
    info?hauntedprints.com

3. Default  
    Grave Digger Guest
    Um.... very interesting! I've been there in the haunt mall, and it was so awersome!! It was in 1999, perhaps. But, it was closed b/c it was out of business, no money, nothing! It was near the food court. I do miss it.

4. Default advise 
    i ahd mine last year in the mall. we got allot of business but not as much as we thought... Allot of our business was from people at the mall and kids wanting to go in... What was our problem was... most of the people that go to haunt to haunt, thought we was going to lame and it was just for kids.. until we told them to try it and see..... finally the word got out the last week and it was to late to get a really big gain... So my advise to make sure you advertise that you are an adult haunt not a kidding haunt... also our utilities deposit was out of the roof... they take the last year three biggests bills and divide it by 3 and that will be your deposit... you will get it back when you chow it off but out of the pocket till then.... our power deposit was 5000.00 only not counting the rest....

Good luck... also try to strike a deal for a couple of years.... we didn't and they got us out... and i know we would of made a killing this year... casue everone loved us..

Geoff

5. Default  
    Thanks everyone!
    Geoff-Yes, the utilities was like "What?" to us since it was WAY over what we've paid in the past...and they do go off of normal daytime operations (10am-9pm) with full lights, etc. We are only open a handful of hours a night 3 days a week. It's not as much as 5000.00 but it's still a chunk. Plus water too for us.
    The great thing is the percentage/guaranteed amount is exactly what we asked for.
    Very excited with this possibility.
    Any more to share?

6. Default  
    I would be worried about that "promised" amount in July, August, and September. October is the gravy month, but getting people to come each night in the off months could be tough, so I hope you didn't promise them too much for those early months.

7. Default  
    Looks like we're going into a mall this year as well. We should know for sure by the end of the week. Should be an interesting year. Looking forward to it!
    Chris Tillman, President
    Rocky Mountain Terror, LLC
    Trick or Terror Haunted House
    www.TerrorHaunts.com

8. Default  
    Im trying a mall in NJ this year as well. This mall brings in 750,000 customers a month .......so we will see how it goes...............

John

9. Default  
    We'll all have to stay in touch with the mall thing...LOL
    We didn't promise anything other than a 'guaranteed lowest amount they'd get' (ie. 2500.00 or 10%-whichever is more).
    We are not open in July/Aug either...we will build from July 15th-Sept. 22 and open the 23rd.
    We were just wondering if anyone else opens Mon/Tue/Wed or not and anyones experience.
    We proposed a price we were comfortable with and took a shot.
    They liked it and we are probably ago.
    Will know this week!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Darkblood; 06-21-2011 at 07:21 PM.

10. Default  
    Sounds great to me. here goes my take-

"We were still thinking of opening Thur/Fri/Sat (usually 7-11pm but might modify it to 6-10pm or last ticket is sold).
    Is this still what people do or do you open every night from 6-9 or 6-10?"
    If your paying actors, then stick to Friday and Saturday. maybe add thursdays if you like. I like 7:30 to midnighgt for hours. Open the box office at 7:00.

"Also, any other considerations that are different from a free standing building."
    No drawbacks, but you do have two fronts one outside and one inside If you can sell tickets from both great. If nout then build a hall from the mall interior to your ticket booth on the other side.

The business side sounds fine if your comfortable with it. Thats what matters.
    Allen H

Thread Information