HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Haunts in Malls?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default  
    I understand Kirk (I really do),
    Do what you fill is right.
    Ask the lady, what will this empty space bring in the following months? A dead, empty space will bring nothing.
    Anyway, I know what you mean and feel the pain.
    I hope it goes well. Just get it all in writing on both sides needs. I hate to see a haunter get screwed.
    Honestly? It will open doors to another future (resume) as it did for me. It was tough and I paid dearly doing it, but it got me established AND to the next level. And that was my goal.....

Good luck and keep us updated,

Tom
    Tom
    Creator of the Dungeon
    WWW.BRICKTOWNAMUSEMENT.COM

2. Default  
    Thanks Tom!
    I appreciate the advice and encouragement!

It's needed right now!

Kirk
    DARK DOMAIN HAUNTED HOUSE
    www.darkdomainhauntedhouse.com

3. Default I was in a mall last year 
    Almost my exact situation last year. The mall was having some problems with stores leaving and was not the biggest mall, but had a few good anchor stores and was not packed all the time, but had some foot traffic on weekends. They were real cool about everything and were glad to have us there. Since I own a radio station, we did a trade for free space in return for advertising. They also thought it would help bring people in and we were next to a family fun center. The space was perfect, avacated department store, about 4000-5000 sq. feet, more room than we needed. Plenty of electric, smoke detectors, sprinklers, exit signs and safety lights. Also heated and ac and even a side room we used as an actor break and makeup room complete with it's own bathroom. Had an entrance from the mall, we built a facade and divided off a waiting room. Also in the back connected to the loading dock for outside access.

Here is what I learned.

While people thought we did a good job making it scary, the mall is not a very creepy atmosphere, except late at night when you are there working alone at 2am and everything is quiet and you here the kids ride on stuff making noises and echoing from down the hall lol. Also as someone mentioned, people thought it would be cheesey. Had a lot of people bringing kids and getting to the first scene and leaving.

THIS IS A BIG ONE! We had issues with figuring out the power situation, and the mall gets a little funny about you playing around with their power panels, we had to work with a mall maint guy and figure out what turned the big overhead lights off, it was a mess, there were about 5 different panels located in 2 different places and we shared some lights with another rental space of offices. We learned the hard way not to mess with stuff, as we accidently turned off their lights and got a nasty call the next Monday morning, after that and we owned up, all was good.

After the mall closed at 9p, our customers dropped big time. Even though we had signs etc. All entrances were locked except the back entrance near our in mall front entrance. We did put a red police beacon light near the door and that helped after the first week.

White walls and white floor that we could not mess with made it hard to keep dark as the light was reflecting. So I had to work really hard on using minimal lights like l.e.d.s and have lights come on only when they were in that scene.

All in all, we made a small profit, not worth all the work though. Hope all this helps.

4. Default question for hf productions 
    Was that Janet and Chip you dealt with. I the people that I dealt with in the mall I just did a looong post about was owned by the same people and the lady i dealt with used to be there and still had something to do with it. They were really great and glad to have us and worked with us just like you were saying and let us store stuff for almost nothing, infact still some stuff there.

oh 1 more thing. There was 1 downfall, right after the haunt, they did tell me I needed to get everything out within a week!!! I could move it to storage across the loading dock, as they were having someone look at the sapce. It was a pain, but I did it and cleaned it all up, better than before I had started setting up. They were pleased. So that is something esle you might have to deal with.

5. Default  
    This must be the year for malls, I am also in a mall this year , but i have no accses to the mall (my request) using only outside accses in an old JCpennys space I am in a mall that is almost dead all the anchor stores are gone so i am renting it for the location only.

6. Default  
    Well, we are in and getting it built...crazy time...we open Sept. 23rd!
    We are open 6-9 on Thursdays and until 10 on Fri/Sat.
    The mall closes at 9 and we have an inside and outside entrance that meet at the ticket booth but our inside gate is to be locked at 9 sharp.
    We have our sign on the gate and daily hear people talking about it.
    The mall deal went in our favor our way and they've been cool about stuff...they even supply the toilet paper...talk about luxury!
    We have to figure out the panel for our outlets as we can't get 1/2 of them to work and I'm working on lighting right now.
    Other than that...we should have a great year! The only other stinker is we have to be moved/cleaned up by Nov. 15th...but if nobody is moving in (I doubt it) then we can take longer.
    We're excited!

Kirk
    DARK DOMAIN HAUNTED HOUSE
    www.darkdomainhauntedhouse.com

Thread Information