HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: New tutorial posted

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default  
    James Wilson Guest
    Awesome Tutorial, Allen! I was just talking to my monster making partner today at a cookout about figuring out a way to make something similar to perma-blood for one of our scenes. You saved me many research dollars that can be re-purposed as materials money. Thanks!

2. Default Thank you 
    Allen thanks for the information, it helps greatly when you cant afford 100.00 for blood... Please let us know how the Cheaper gallon glue does when you get it...

Thanks

Geoff

3. Default  
    It did great I posted that in the comments of the video.

4. Default  
    I've tried the acrylic gloss stuff as well... it's very hard to get the color a deep enough red.

5. Default  
    Good post Allen!!! It's great...you have a George Wallace attitude..."Always be thinkin'!!!".

Noticed the comments on using other bases and the inability to hold the tint color.
    The clear glue base works well with the food coloring because they are both water based.
    I think you even said with shellac it was an oil and water thing, which it exactly the problem.

A haunt friend also does furniture repair and restoration and he was saying if you use say a
    shellac as base then you need lacquer based color. Sort of oil & oil, water & water!!

Krylon carries an industrial brand of paints that are laquer based. I had some brown and black
    spray paint to use for furniture touch up and I sprayed the paint into some shellac I was coating
    some rotten food props with and it seemed to hold the color well.

Since you're our "Haunt Myth Buster" here's something else to try!! Lacquer colors in resin or shellac
    bases. If you can't find the lacquer based paint at your Lowes or Home Depot (I couldn't) they
    are available through Grainger's.

Keep up the testing, I love the results!!!

I went out and bought the clear glue just to try a batch, seems like a good thing to keep in my
    "Haunt First Aid Kit"!!

QUICK NOTE: I was at the dollar store and found Elmer's No Run School Glue GEL.

As a gel it has a thicker viscosity so you could use it where you want more "clotting"
    or you don't want a run off, but more of a pooling.
    It has a slight green tinge in the bottle, should have no effect on the tinting.
    You may even be able to combine the two for a perfect "run" pattern!

See you keep US thinking!!! Something ELSE for you to play with!!

Thanks Allen!!!
    Last edited by RJ Productions; 07-12-2011 at 01:50 PM.
    R&J Productions
    Las Vegas, NV
    www.LasVegasHaunts.com

6. Default great!!! 
    I was about to ask how to keep it from running off and clotting more.... I will try that.... Allen, I tried the clear glue and followed the steps and measurements and it work perfect today... just needed to stay in place a little better...

Thanks again,

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Productions View Post
    Good post Allen!!! It's great...you have a George Wallace attitude..."Always be thinkin'!!!".

Noticed the comments on using other bases and the inability to hold the tint color.
    The clear glue base works well with the food coloring because they are both water based.
    I think you even said with shellac it was an oil and water thing, which it exactly the problem.

A haunt friend also does furniture repair and restoration and he was saying if you use say a
    shellac as base then you need lacquer based color. Sort of oil & oil, water & water!!

Krylon carries an industrial brand of paints that are laquer based. I had some brown and black
    spray paint to use for furniture touch up and I sprayed the paint into some shellac I was coating
    some rotten food props with and it seemed to hold the color well.

Since you're our "Haunt Myth Buster" here's something else to try!! Lacquer colors in resin or shellac
    bases. If you can't find the lacquer based paint at your Lowes or Home Depot (I couldn't) they
    are available through Grainger's.

Keep up the testing, I love the results!!!

I went out and bought the clear glue just to try a batch, seems like a good thing to keep in my
    "Haunt First Aid Kit"!!

QUICK NOTE: I was at the dollar store and found Elmer's No Run School Glue GEL.

As a gel it has a thicker viscosity so you could use it where you want more "clotting"
    or you don't want a run off, but more of a pooling.
    It has a slight green tinge in the bottle, should have no effect on the tinting.
    You may even be able to combine the two for a perfect "run" pattern!

See you keep US thinking!!! Something ELSE for you to play with!!

Thanks Allen!!!

7. Default  
    Another thing you could do Geoff is to mix it up, then pour it out into a shallow tray, let it breathe a bit and get a touch firmer. Tomorrow is another update and I may do a bit of a blood update! as well as the new video.
    Im so glad its useful to you guys.
    Allen H

8. Default tutorial 
    Hello Allen thank you for the tutorials . You are a blessing to the industry.
    Can you do a tutorial on how to make our own catacomb or the type of walls in the que line at darkness i think they are really cool . Can you also do one on how to do the lagoon effect and placement of the mirrors like you touched on when building your cave . We are also considering making our own mirror maze maybe with mirrored tint or mylar but need some help thank you very much Pat

9. Default  
    Kaotic,
    can you nab me a pic of the Darkness walls?

10. Default not my video 
    about 45sec in and when i was there I noticed the walls texture, bones and skulls are soft foam like a nerf ball.

Thread Information