HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Purchased Haunt vs. Custom Designed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Purchased Haunt vs. Custom Designed? 
    I'm looking to get our haunt off the ground. I'm looking at the advantages/disadvantages for getting this off the ground with purchasing a complete used haunt (built in 2005) or building our own haunt (plans we have from a few years back).

Just wondering your thoughts on used vs custom built...

2. Default  
    There was a similar question a week or so back, but I am all about building from scratch, if you have the man power and time. Make it your baby!

=Joel=

3. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    May I just add, Cluster, Build it IF you have ever swung a hammer or measured and successfully cut anything before? ( Cutting your own body parts, subtract points )

4. Default  
    So for a company like Halloween Productions, can they customize any idea that you may have for a huant? All of their worl looks great. Also, would you say that starting off with a mobile/trailer haunt for your first one, would be a good start, to see how many people attend, etc?
    ________
    MT1
    Last edited by dusty588; 01-24-2011 at 05:05 AM.

5. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    Mobile trailers may give you more freedom to experiement with "what customers like", since a new location is easier to find, but I decided when I got my place (which refuses to be placed upon roller dollies) that I did not want alot of big publicity until I thought I had something to impress people. Alot of customers judge you on that first impression-end of story as far as they will be concerned-period.

6. Default Hmm 
    You can't do something to test the waters.....
    If your going to get in the haunted house biz.....jump in...make sure the rocks aren't going to break your legs and DO YOUR RESEARCH.

You aren't going to get your money back in the first year
    You aren't going to quit your day job FOR A LONG TIME
    This isn't a test the waters kind of thing
    It IS a hold on this is going to be a hell of a ride though.

THAT IS IN RESPONSE TO THIS COMMENT
    Also, would you say that starting off with a mobile/trailer haunt for your first one, would be a good start, to see how many people attend, etc?

My 2 cents on buying others used haunts

You can save money....and time....but it will always be someone elses stuff.
    If you have time money and people....do it yourself or re do the used one with better props and scenery and paint...main thing it will save on building the walls

7. Default  
    BUILD BUILD BUILD!
    Sean De Wane
    ----------------------------------------------
    The De Wane Asylum
    www.dewaneasylum.com

8. Default  
    Manitowoc Wisconsin www.nightmarefactoryhaunt.com
    It all comes down to A) do you have the time, ability, and desire to build on your own. I have built about 300 or so and it is a boring job. B) Do you have the $ to buy a haunt? IDK, I guess it is easier to just buy a completed haunt, but there is some personal satisfaction I have when I can look at my walls and think, wow I built those....
    www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

9. Default  
    If you have the where-with-all I'd say build it yourself. If you lack a lot of the experience I would say hire a consultant who can help you by-pass the expensive mistakes. But really check out the consultant. Make sure you only get the type of help you need, also make sure they have the experience you are looking for. It's one thing to say you have 10 years experience, but if you only do a haunt for one month a year for ten years is it ten YEARS experience or ten MONTHS experience??

A GOOD consultant will save you more than he costs! A bad one can COST you more than he's worth!
    R&J Productions
    Las Vegas, NV
    www.LasVegasHaunts.com

10. Default  
    To me it all comes down to how much it would cost to buy the haunt. You don't necessarily need to give up any of your own creativity when you buy and existing haunt. You don't have to use the same themes or scares that they did. But many of the things that you get when buying a haunt are universal: Walls, sound and lighting equipment, fire extinguishers, compressors, etc. Even if you were to decide that you didn't want to use all of the props, it could still be beneficial to buy the haunt.

You have to examine what is there, what you could use, and how the cost compares to building it yourself (factor in time).

That's just my view. You should learn the how to build all this stuff either way.

Dave
    Lords of Chaos, LLC
    House of Chaos Haunted Attraction

Thread Information