HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Help with torn silicone mask!!!

1. Question Help with torn silicone mask!!! 
    I've got a SPFX Studios clown mask that has a long rip on one side of the neck. What is the best way to repair this? Silicone? Stitching? Really need some good advice.

2. Default  
    Can you post a picture of it? I would not stitch it. Typically you would use Silicone Caulking GE I, but depending on how long the rip is, I'm not sure if you would want to attempt it yourself. Small rips are pretty easy to repair on your own, big rips are another story. CFX repairs most companies silicone masks (I know they repair SPFX), so your best bet may be to contact them. Downside would be you probably wouldn't have it for the rest of the season, upside is they would do a nice job fixing it.

3. Default  
    When ours ripped, I used dry wall mesh tape as a backing and then siliconed the crap out of it and smoothed it out with my hands. This was all done from the inside. It has held up since the repair job.

4. Unhappy Thanks for the input! 
    Its a huge rip! Runs from the ear almost to the bottom of the mask. Would love to send it in to have fixed, but it will be one of our main characters, so I'm gonna have to take the chance on fixing it myself. This sucks, but I'm just out of time! Wish me luck I guess.....

5. Default  
    Yeah, you can use 100% silicone caulking for repairs, but use a piece of pantyhose fabric for backing on the inside. Make sure the tear edges are clean and dry, then spread it inside the crack, as much as you can on the outside to match, then a good bit beyond the nylon on the inside. Not too thick of a coat, then let dry according to directions before wear.
    We've been using that new extra stretch silicone caulk.

Oh yeah - One more thing - always make sure you check the expiration date on caulk!! it does have a shelf life and lots of times you'll find stores selling the expired stuff.
    missjayne
    Netherworld Haunted Attractions
    http://www.fearworld.com/

Thread Information