HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Building A Corn Maze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Building A Corn Maze 
    Looking for some information on building a corn maze. What type of seed, planting tips etc. Anyone with any know how would be great. Thanks

2. Default  
    Hello,
    I would contact Tony at Spookywoods.
    www.spookywoods.com. He's been very successful at it.

Chip "Pigman" DeLong
    Chip "Pigman" DeLong
    Scared to the Bone Productions
    Pigman's Lair Haunted Attraction
    Chelsea/Ann Arbor MI
    www.pigmanslair.com

3. Default  
    Thanks as well Chip since I plan to build up a cornfield set and possibly a maze as well.
    The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

4. Default  
    I would contact Brett Molitor <brettmolitor@yahoo.com>

He belongs to a Corn Maze Association and has cut mazes for people all over the country.
    R&J Productions
    Las Vegas, NV
    www.LasVegasHaunts.com

5. Default Building a corn maze 
    I posted this a while back that I would like to see someone build just to see if it would help people:
    http://forum.hauntworld.com/showthre...Corn-Maze-Idea
    RIP

~The Imagineer~

Andrew de Ruiter

Download part 1 of Andrew's Black Book of ideas for haunts here:
    http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=EGQDK8HZ

6. Default I'd be happy to help... 
    Although we're already out of the corn maze game there are a bunch of tricks. We plant around July 1 - that will keep your corn maze both green and strong during the season. Plant in two different directions. The first direction being 0 degrees, the second being 30 - 45 degrees across. a full 90 degree cross pattern will kill your farmer and he wont' like you very much.
    Corn ranges from 85 to 125 day maturity varieties. You want the longest variety available. This year we used a 117 day variety, and it will be harvested next week. This will keep a green maze the longest, plus it will increase stalk strength.
    Make sure you cut your maze once the corn is about 8-10" tall. If you let it get too big it will be very messy and tedious to make a maze.
    If you are willing to mow your maze every week, you could use a lawn mower and cut the maze 4-5 times. If you use a roto-tiller, like tony at spooky woods, you can till it just once and be done with it, but not everyone has a 5' tiller.
    You can have a service from Maize.com or one of those sites design your maze, or you can draw it and do an overlay on google earth and do it by hand. That's what I used to do.
    Email me at Legendsofthefog(at)gmail.com if you want any more info, I'd be glad to help.

Patrick
    Patrick Barberry
    www.legendsofthefog.com

7. Default NO! 
    Don't do a 117 day corn on July 1 in ohio! I use a mix of 2-3 varieties in 102-105 day range and plant about May 23rd in central Michigan. I plant about 33,000 seeds/acre in 30" rows. Then I cross plant only 2 rows 5 feet apart every 60 feet for blockers. But my layout and design system is too complex to explain here. On Nov. 3rd the corn was about 22% moisture. If I had planted a 117 day corn on July 1 it would not have been about 45% moisture or more. Thirty five-45 MPH gusts didn't bother me. BUT THERE IS A HUGE DIFFRENCE IN SEED VARETIES on stalk strenght, stay green, brittle snap, etc.

Wicked Farmer

8. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedfarmer View Post
    Don't do a 117 day corn on July 1 in ohio! I use a mix of 2-3 varieties in 102-105 day range and plant about May 23rd in central Michigan. I plant about 33,000 seeds/acre in 30" rows. Then I cross plant only 2 rows 5 feet apart every 60 feet for blockers. But my layout and design system is too complex to explain here. On Nov. 3rd the corn was about 22% moisture. If I had planted a 117 day corn on July 1 it would not have been about 45% moisture or more. Thirty five-45 MPH gusts didn't bother me. BUT THERE IS A HUGE DIFFRENCE IN SEED VARETIES on stalk strenght, stay green, brittle snap, etc.

Wicked Farmer
    There's always more than one way to skin a cat. Every farmer will tell you May - something and a shorter variety. Check with your local mill to get an appropriate answer for building a corn maze for your climate and soil type.
    Patrick Barberry
    www.legendsofthefog.com

9. Default  
    I will share a few tips... we actually did this two years in a row and the corn looked awesome actually grew to like 10 feet or something. There was a lot of pitfalls here...

1) You have to keep deer out because they get in there and want to eat the corn and they trample the corn field in the process.

2) You have to keep the corn field watered big time otherwise it will die. I know even Tony told me about having to bring in water trucks because of a drought and he lost the whole corn field.

3) Once the corn starts growing you have to go in and pick the corn so you can you have pathway through it.

4) Once the corn started to grow we built our pathway with fence between the customers and the corn. The customers and your actors can destroy the corn quick.

5) As for what kind of seeds to use and all that ... I'll tell you what we did we had a local farmer guy come over we paid him he planted everything and it worked like a charm. But if you go to the local seed stores farm supply stores they can tell you everything.

Larry

10. Default  
    Talk to wickedfarmer, he has been doing corn mazes for 14 years and he does not have any problems like Larry described above. His does not even get muddy in the rain. Check him out he is on this forum all the time.
    Phatman

Thread Information