HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Pressure pads motion sensor to trigger animations?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default most practical to use and most efficient? 
    To answer your question... I would say the motion sensor would be the best choice in most cases. But beam sensors and mats have their use too!

2. Default My two cents... 
    Deciding what type of trigger depends on several factors.

What kind of effect/prop is being triggered?
    Do you want the effect to go off at the front of the group, middle, or end?
    Does the effect run on a controller (i.e. Fright Ideas Boo Box or similar)?
    Is their an actor nearby?
    How reliable do you want it to be?
    How much money do you want to spend?

I for one, am completely against cheap pressure mats. Anything people can possible trip over is never a good idea and you have to worry about how to hide them. They are cheap though. And as for PIR sensors, they might as well be called P.O.S. sensors. I've installed several of these from big name companies and have had reliability issues. As for the trick of putting tape over the sensor to limit its field of vision...come on...it's like using bubble gum and shoe string to fix a prop. Yes, it's creative, but not very professional. So the only sensors I use are "beam sensors" in all the professional haunts I've worked on. Now, there are several different kinds of "beam sensors" and they each have their advantages. But if you want reliability and professionalism, they are the way to go.

Here's a tip when using "beam sensors"...Mount them about four inches off the floor. That way, you can train your actors to step over the sensors and they work in foggy conditions because...fog rises.

Good Luck,
    Mike

3. Default  
    Someone pointed out to me a while back the difference between beams and pressure triggers. It depends on how you want your animation to perform. Beams will nearly always be triggered by the first person in the group. Could be handy depending on what you need. Pressure mats, however, can tend to be more 'random.' In that, by the sheer nature of odds, some folks will step over and miss them. In this method, the animation could be triggered at anytime during the groups passage according to the 'laws of chaos.'

So I suppose it all depends on what you want your animated friend to do to your group!
    Michael Inks
    Geist Entertainment, Inc.
    Visit GEI on Facebook

"If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

4. Default  
    I like push buttons, and a white hash mark on the floor to tell the actor when to push it, no timer or sensor or mat has timing as good as a trained actor.
    my $.02
    Allen H

5. Default Pressure pads 
    How wide are the walking paths? If the're no more than 3' pressure pads for sure. If there 5 or 6 foot wide use motion sensors. Just let the actors know as long as they stand in front of the pir motion sensor the prop will be triggered.

6. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen H View Post
    I like push buttons, and a white hash mark on the floor to tell the actor when to push it, no timer or sensor or mat has timing as good as a trained actor.
    my $.02
    Allen H
    I would prefer my actors scaring or performing rather than having to push buttons, unless the animation is connected to the scare.

Jake

7. Default  
    We use all 3, most of our props are fired with a push button from the control room we have 30 cameras watching these areas. Also there are some areas that are set off by either the actor or the control room, this is great because if we are short handed it can still be fired from control room and if there is an actor there they know best when to fire it because they are in the atmosphere. We also have pressure mates and motion in some areas.

Thread Information